[SOLVED] RTX 2060 or RX 5700? (Comfort of use)

Sep 13, 2019
Hi everyone,

Time has come for me to upgrade my GPU, and an important decision pops up: MSI Geforce RTX 2060 6GB Gaming Z or MSI Radeon RX 5700 8 Go Mech OC?

More context:
-The prices are just 1€ appart in my country (Germany).

- I am gaming at 1440p on my free time, and am working at home in visual design ( a.k.a "Heavy Photoshopping for the whole day on end"). I wonder which is best between Nvidia and AMD GPUs for the Adobe Suite?

- It's an investment for me, both personnally and professionally, I want my PC to be future-proof, and I don't really care about the Ray-Tracing and DLSS features, I care more about the "solid base" under it.

- Both GPUs are quite enough for what I am doing in gaming, so my hesitation is not really about performance for the price, but more about Energy consumption and Noise levels. I am working at home for a long timeon end, so a quieter GPU would be best, and the Watt consumption is also important, as it will actually impact my monthly expenses. I know that the RX Vega family is WAY more energy-comsuming than it's Nvidia counterpart, as well as being louder thanks to the beautiful Radeon cooling system. The RX 5700 model I have in mire is the MSI model with two external fans, does it offer a better and quieter comfort, and is the energy concumption equivalent between the RTX and the RX?

Edit:
My build is a Ryzen 7 2700X, Asus Prime X470 Pro motherboard, 2x8Gb Corsair Vengeance 3200Mhz RAM, Samsung EVO 860 SSD

Solution
Thanks for the answer! For the RX 5700 I am eyeing this model:
1326155_0__73439.jpg

The cooling solution with these two fans seems indeed better than the awful base blower, but from what I am reading MSI maybe didnt do such a great job with this one?

About the PSU I have a Corsair 750W Gold Plus (Don't remember the exact model), so it shouldnt be a problem.
Your psu is more than enough. I read too that the msi models for RX 5000 series have problems with some other components on the pcb like memory temps because they use small thermal pads. Have a look at Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 8GB Pulse its the best brand for AMD Graphics cards. Then you can check XFX and...
The 5700 compete with nvidia RTX 2060 super and not non super. Its obvious a better gpu with 2GB more GDDR6 vram. RTX 2060 is not sufficient to run this features anyway you will probably get bellow 60fps with RTX ON at 1080p. Reccomended psu is 500W for 2060 and 600W for RX 5700. As for photoshop as i know the gpu brand does not matter that much but i dont use these programs maybe its better to wait for someone else to answear that question. The blower style RX 5700 are really noisy and with bad temps if you are gonna buy one then look only for custom models with 2 fans or more. Speaking of raw performance the RX 5700 is overall a better card.

Sep 13, 2019
The 5700 compete with nvidia RTX 2060 super and not non super. Its obvious a better gpu with 2GB more GDDR6 vram. RTX 2060 is not sufficient to run this features anyway you will probably get bellow 60fps with RTX ON at 1080p. Reccomended psu is 500W for 2060 and 600W for RX 5700. As for photoshop as i know the gpu brand does not matter that much but i dont use these programs maybe its better to wait for someone else to answear that question. The blower style RX 5700 are really noisy and with bad temps if you are gonna buy one then look only for custom models with 2 fans or more. Speaking of raw performance the RX 5700 is overall a better card.

1326155_0__73439.jpg

The cooling solution with these two fans seems indeed better than the awful base blower, but from what I am reading MSI maybe didnt do such a great job with this one?

About the PSU I have a Corsair 750W Gold Plus (Don't remember the exact model), so it shouldnt be a problem.

1326155_0__73439.jpg

Your psu is more than enough. I read too that the msi models for RX 5000 series have problems with some other components on the pcb like memory temps because they use small thermal pads. Have a look at Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 8GB Pulse its the best brand for AMD Graphics cards. Then you can check XFX and PowerColor all these brands make only AMD cards.

Solution

Joakim Agren

Reputable
Sep 5, 2019
Me personally do not think the 5700 non XT model is particular price worthy in relation to the 5700XT model in the series. The price difference in relation to performance difference speaks in favor of the XT model IMHO. The price difference here in Sweden is usually only 70 Euro between the two. It is clear to me AMD have priced these to push sales towards the top model instead. In general I would recommend Sapphire or Power Color cards for AMD. They tend to make the best ones for cooling and looks. Sure we also have the Asus Strix version but that one is too expensive considering these cards barely have any overclocking headroom.

As for being power efficient then the Turing Nvidia cards still wins over the Navi cards but the difference is now smaller then before. For Photoshop jobs the new Ryzen 3000 CPU's are better then Ryzen 2000 series stuff. So one option for you would be to sell your 2700X and buy a 3700X instead. That would improve Photoshop performance by quite a bit.

Sep 13, 2019
The 5700 XT series is 60€ more expensive here, just under the RTX 2060 SUPER, it's a step up in the budget that I am not willing to take.
The Sapphire RX 5700 Pulse seems indeed a good step-up alternative for +/- 20€ more, but my question about the noise and power consumption remains, is it a good value for the future, and is it running hot&loud in an average-airflow case?

PS: The Ryzen 3000 are not my budget either and I just finished building my new PC, going from a 7-years-old Athlon to a new 2700X will already be a leap into the future ^ ^

Sep 13, 2019
If I manage to undervolt the Sapphire Rx 5700 Pulse, could it get close to the Nvidia equivalent's power consumption, temperature and noise, say close to the RTX 2060? Would it show on the power bill, or would it be negligible?

Sep 13, 2019
So, after some research, the Power Consumption of the RX 5700 Custom Cards is barely above the RTX 2060/Super, so it won't show in the end, especially when undervolted correctly.

I am almost decided to go for a RX 5700 Custom now, I would just like a last-call advice over which one to pick:

Sapphire Radeon RX5700 8Gb Pulse or Powercolor Red Dragon RX5700 8Gb?
Is there any major difference between them, in Thermals, Power Consumption, BIOS and Software support?
Which would you recommend?

So, after some research, the Power Consumption of the RX 5700 Custom Cards is barely above the RTX 2060/Super, so it won't show in the end, especially when undervolted correctly.

I am almost decided to go for a RX 5700 Custom now, I would just like a last-call advice over which one to pick:

Sapphire Radeon RX5700 8Gb Pulse or Powercolor Red Dragon RX5700 8Gb?
Is there any major difference between them, in Thermals, Power Consumption, BIOS and Software support?
Which would you recommend?
The powercolor seems to have a bit better temps but i would still pick based on the price because the difference are minimal with Pulse.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VB_E4R69DU

Sep 13, 2019
Thanks! I will go for the Sapphire, as it is a bit cheaper here.
Last question, will this GPU be compatible with my Motherboard (Asus Prime X470 Pro), and run correctly on it?

Joakim Agren

Reputable
Sep 5, 2019
Cool! The RX 5700 has a PCIe 4.0 and my Mobo has a PCIe 3.0 GEN3, it's not going to bottleneck?

No it is backwards compatible the interface still has not changed! The bandwidth of PCIe 4 is not yet needed for GPU's. Even the top of the line RTX2080TI only uses about X8 bandwidth on a PCIe 3 so this means that even if a card comes out that is twice as fast the regular X16 port can handle it. PCIe 3 will probably be enough for the next 3-4 years for the top cards and 5+ years on mid range cards. No need to worry! :D