Canadian Ace

Reputable
Oct 18, 2014
So basically I had a GTX 1060 previously.. and I bought myself a 144hz monitor thinking it would be great. It wasn't, so I bought an RTX 2070 a year later and it's barely any better... I can do 60fps 1080p high settings in any game but most titles I can't even reach 100fps no matter what settings I use. I thought it was a bottleneck but my cpu isn't old or crap. Here's my specs - thinking the card might need an RMA.

Intel core i7 7700k @ 4.5ghz
Corsair 16gb ddr4 2133mhz ram
700w gold vampire PSU
Zotac mini RTX 2070 OC
MSI b250i mini itx MOBO

What you may or may not realise, frequency of a monitor has nothing to do with FPS - that is to do with displaying the video in sync.

It wouldn't matter if you have a 60hz monitor, because the FPS is not related to monitor frequency.
Which is why you can get 300fps in CS Go, but still work on a 60hz monitor.

There are not many systems out there that push over 100fps in modern games. Although I would say a 2070 is a very good card, what game are you trying to get 144fps on and what resolution/settings?

Canadian Ace

Reputable
Oct 18, 2014
What games have u played? Did u check any benchmarks to get an idea of the fps u should be getting ? Also what's your temperatures while gaming ?

I've checked benchmarks before purchasing.. they all showed over 100fps even at 1440p. My temps are usually around 60c on both my cpu and GPU.

I changed my resolution to 1440p with DSR to see if I have a bottleneck but it seems I don't. I've tried Borderlands 2, pubg, GTA 5, and black ops 4. Borderlands can easily hit 144 but drops to the 70s sometimes. Same with pubg. The other ones (GTA 5) can't even pass 100fps on low

Canadian Ace

Reputable
Oct 18, 2014
What you may or may not realise, frequency of a monitor has nothing to do with FPS - that is to do with displaying the video in sync.

It wouldn't matter if you have a 60hz monitor, because the FPS is not related to monitor frequency.
Which is why you can get 300fps in CS Go, but still work on a 60hz monitor.

There are not many systems out there that push over 100fps in modern games. Although I would say a 2070 is a very good card, what game are you trying to get 144fps on and what resolution/settings?

GTA 5, pubg, Borderlands 2. The card is new so I've been testing games just to see my performance over the 1060 and it doesn't seem like there is a huge gain. But according to benchmarks there should be double the performance if not triple of the GTX 1060. I'm at a loss.

Canadian Ace

Reputable
Oct 18, 2014
Keep in mind this is all not even at ultra settings. I don't use AA because I don't like it, same with motion blur, depth of field, post processing, tessellation. I turn those all off or low. And still it struggles.

Oscil

Reputable
Mar 8, 2019
Are u using vsync/gsync ?
Haven't personally tried gta5 so I don't know much about that games fps.
Pubg fps sounds about right tho. Never consistent fps on that game.

Canadian Ace

Reputable
Oct 18, 2014
Are u using vsync/gsync ?
Haven't personally tried gta5 so I don't know much about that games fps.
Pubg fps sounds about right tho. Never consistent fps on that game.

I do use vsync usually. I never used it when I had my 60hz 5ms monitor because the input lag was horrible. But with 144hz 1ms I get a smooth input lag free experience. (When I actually achieve over 100fps) a good example is DOOM. That game runs smooth as butter.

Oscil

Reputable
Mar 8, 2019
I actually have an rtx 2060 oc model. Which is pretty close to rtx 2070. I don't see any difference either when i go from ultra to low. Just a little bit. around 10 to 20 fps max.
I don't know about gta 5 or borderlands tho. I haven't played it before to test my fps. Borderlands and pubg fps u are getting sound good tho.
Haven't really been into RTX yet. I don't know if they are optimized or if they work better on higher resolutions.