Jul 1, 2019
Hello!

Six months ago I purchased a Palit RTX 2070 OC and until fairly recently it was working incredibly well. A couple of weeks ago I decided to install the latest drivers and then weird things started happening. About a couple of hours after I updated the drivers, while in the middle of playing a resource intensive game, artifacts (multicoloured symbols, I believe I've seen others describe them as "space invaders") started appearing across both my monitors, followed immediately by freezing and stuttering audio and graphics. This happened again once I rebooted the computer and then it got worse.

I was no longer able to boot to windows. After the BIOS splash screen the screen simply went black, leaving me unable to access Windows outside of entering Safe Mode. This seems to be driver related, since it first started when I updated my drivers. The problem also disappears when I uninstall the drivers for the card completely. If I try to install drivers for the 2070 the screen becomes completely black after part of the installation process.

So far I have, without success, tried the following:
  • Removed the drivers for the 2070, both through the device manager and through using DDU
  • Tried installing the drivers that came with the card when I bought it
  • Tried installing the latest drivers again, either directly or through Nvidia Experience
  • Installed another card (an old 970 which works without any problems whatsoever), then removed the drivers for that card with DDU and reinstalling the 2070 with different drivers

What can I do to solve this? Should I just RMA it? Buy another card? The threads on this that I have found have been old (usually) and without successful solutions.

My specs for the rest of my system is as follows:
Windows 10 Home Edition
Corsair RM650x 650W
Intel Core i7-8700K
MSI Z370-A Pro
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2666MHz 16GB

D

Deleted member 14196

roll back the drivers to your previous version. new drivers are not always better if they contain system breaking bugs

if everything is running incredibly well, leave it alone for heaven's sake. no need to update drivers unless you need to get added features you NEED and bug fixes for bugs you are personally experiencing.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.
Jul 1, 2019
roll back the drivers to your previous version. new drivers are not always better if they contain system breaking bugs

if everything is running incredibly well, leave it alone for heaven's sake. no need to update drivers unless you need to get added features you NEED and bug fixes for bugs you are personally experiencing.

Fair point, I might not be the smartest person. I should probably add that I updated after I experienced a CTD. Also, I tried rolling back without success and since then I've reinstalled Windows. My computer seems unwilling to accept the original drivers for some reason - when I tried reinstalling them the device manager still claimed that my graphics card was the "default windows display driver" or whatever. I'll make another attempt at installing my original drivers or, failing that, ANY older drivers.

D

Deleted member 14196

power off, and reseat the RAM and the GPU and make sure it's tight. it's like it's not recognizing your hardware

D

Deleted member 14196

use DDU in safe mode to really remove the old drivers too, then let windows find the new drivers, when it does, reboot and see if it's smooth and good again, if so, leave it.

Jul 1, 2019
An update:

I booted into safe mode and removed the drivers using DDU for my 970, which was plugged in at the time, then shut down the computer and installed the 2070 - this time in a different PCI-E port than the usual one.

With no drivers installed, I was able to log onto Windows normally and check the Device Manager. It claimed I had the Default Display Driver, so I rebooted. No change. So I used the Device Manager to update the drivers for the Display Driver and mid-installation the screen went completely black. I waited until there was no apparent HDD activity and forcibly rebooted into safe mode again. This time the Device Manager clearly identified the 2070.

I fired up the DDU again, thinking I could get back into regular Windows and try manually installing some older version of the drivers instead. Things looked promising as I was able to log in, but when I turned away to make something to eat the screen went completely black again.

As far as I can tell everything is properly attached to the motherboard.

Is there any CODE 43 ERROR warning displayed as well, with a yellow triangle exclamation mark ?

I don't think that I have encountered that error at any point.