Doutor

Honorable
Aug 18, 2015
Yesterday I had posted about this same issue and had thought I had found a fix but apperantly it didn't fix it.

These were the fixes I tried:
-Changed the power plan on Windows to High performance.
-Checked to see if in that power plan PCIExpress power management was off.
-On Nvidias control panel selected the correct GPU instead of being automatic on the 3D settings.
-Still on the 3D settings page I picked maximum performance on the power management.
-Uninstalled GeForce Experience and redownloaded the driver from their website.
-Installed a fresh version of Windows, installed all the drivers, didn't install GeForce Experience but installed the drivers from the website.

After all of these fixes, yesterday the game ran fine. Today the problem is back again. I also had this problem last week when playing Metro Exodus, so the problem isn't battlefield.
Games are completly unplayable, with heavy stutters, really bad framerates that I shouldn't be getting with this build.
I saw a post claiming it could be a bottleneck that can cause the problem but I don't think that's a problem here.

Here are the specs:
-AMD Ryzen 7 3700x
-Gigabyte RTX 2070 super Gaming OC
-16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600MHz Cl16
-MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon Max Wifi
-Corsair CX650M Semi Modular PSU
-Crucial P1 500GB
-Seagate Barracuda 2tb (currently not in use)

Is there any other fixes I can try? Because this computer is brand new, it shouldn't be having these kinds of problems.

Solution
What a temperamental system you got there. Bit strange for it to play fine then all of a sudden turn into a potato the next day. What could change during that time? Software updates? ie Windows doing something on it's own?

GE wouldn't cause problems unless it's used to optimised and that's if the optimisation setting was set too high.

I'll list a few things you can look at / try if haven't yet;

Firstly, disable automatic manufacture apps (ie drivers) so Windows doesn't update anything on you without you knowing. Control Panel\System and Security\System > Advanced System Settings > Hardware tab > Device Installation settings.

Afterwards, reinstall Chipset driver from MSI for your motherboard. Or you can try Chipset driver...

boju

Titan
Ambassador
What a temperamental system you got there. Bit strange for it to play fine then all of a sudden turn into a potato the next day. What could change during that time? Software updates? ie Windows doing something on it's own?

GE wouldn't cause problems unless it's used to optimised and that's if the optimisation setting was set too high.

Firstly, disable automatic manufacture apps (ie drivers) so Windows doesn't update anything on you without you knowing. Control Panel\System and Security\System > Advanced System Settings > Hardware tab > Device Installation settings.

Afterwards, reinstall Chipset driver from MSI for your motherboard. Or you can try Chipset driver directly from AMD.

--

Reinstall Geforce driver, but not the latest, go back a few versions.

--

Disable Fullscreen Optimisation. Setting is in the game's exe properties under compatibility.
Disable DVR recording in Gamebar. Leave Game mode on so Windows doesn't interrupt your gaming session with updates or anything else.

--

Is your ram running at 3600? Check with Cpuz under memory tab. Dram frequency should say 1800.

--

What's your cpu temps and also speed like when these stutters happen? Don't want to see it throttling, even if temps look fine, still check the speed. Could be that temps are fine but cpu speed has dropped drastically to cool itself.

--

There shouldn't be any bottlenecks or components affecting your gaming as it is right now. This is more of a serious compatibility or stability issue, be it software or hardware itself. If none of the above help, i'd suggest look at updating the motherboard's bios if haven't done so already.

Doutor

Honorable
Aug 18, 2015

Afterwards, reinstall Chipset driver from MSI for your motherboard. Or you can try Chipset driver directly from AMD.

--

Reinstall Geforce driver, but not the latest, go back a few versions.

--

Disable Fullscreen Optimisation. Setting is in the game's exe properties under compatibility.
Disable DVR recording in Gamebar. Leave Game mode on so Windows doesn't interrupt your gaming session with updates or anything else.

--

Is your ram running at 3600? Check with Cpuz under memory tab. Dram frequency should say 1800.

--

What's your cpu temps and also speed like when these stutters happen? Don't want to see it throttling, even if temps look fine, still check the speed. Could be that temps are fine but cpu speed has dropped drastically to cool itself.

--

There shouldn't be any bottlenecks or components affecting your gaming as it is right now. This is more of a serious compatibility or stability issue, be it software or hardware itself. If none of the above help, i'd suggest look at updating the motherboard's bios if haven't done so already.

Hey thanks for the reply. So I found out that DX12 was the problem. I believe both games were running off of DX12 and that was causing the issue. And I was also a dumdum, because when I reinstalled BF5 it was running on DX11. I clicked to enable DX12 but I did not restart the game. So that's what caused the game to run fine yesterday and today to play so poorly.

I still want to find a way to fix this, because you need DX12 to run raytracing. So I'm currently trying to find a way to fix DX12 on my rig.
Sorry for wasting your time, never in a million years, would I think DX12 was the problem

Solution

boju

Titan
Ambassador
No problem. Dx12 playing poorly isn't exactly a knew thing. I wouldn't stress because it's mostly out of your control. Id checkout BF forums for such discussions. Also check Geforce forums for game and also driver feedback issues.

I've been gaming for 20odd years and MOST of the time, it's not your PC. Most of the time :)

Doutor

Honorable
Aug 18, 2015
No problem. Dx12 playing poorly isn't exactly a knew thing. I wouldn't stress because it's mostly out of your control. Id checkout BF forums for such discussions. Also check Geforce forums for game and also driver feedback issues.

I've been gaming for 20odd years and MOST of the time, it's not your PC. Most of the time :)

I've searched a few forums and there were other people complaining about DX12, specially on BF5. A few got their problems fixed by doing a fresh install of Nvidia's drivers. I've tried it and still got the same issues. Since I can play now I'll wait to see if something get's updated and it gets fixed :p

Thanks anyways!

boju

Titan
Ambassador
You're welcome. Also keep in mind, latest drivers doesn't necessarily mean better. Newest can sometimes cause more issues than it solves. Geforce forums has a driver feedback section for each driver release. In saying that, two or three driver releases earlier could be better in your case. Fundamentals in PC gaming - having patience lol.

Aug 3, 2020
You're welcome. Also keep in mind, latest drivers doesn't necessarily mean better. Newest can sometimes cause more issues than it solves. Geforce forums has a driver feedback section for each driver release. In saying that, two or three driver releases earlier could be better in your case. Fundamentals in PC gaming - having patience lol.
I have the exact same issue as OP, i do have a normal RTX 2070 tho.
This happend out of the blue on monday, everything was running fine sunday, i didnt do any updates whatsoever in that time.
Now the strange thing is, that the games who perform poorly run on a Copy engine, not 3d. after a clean install of windows i saw my CoD taking 3d for about 10 seconds, then swap to copy and the performance was back. It even detects the RTX 2070 as selected gpu, but it wont do anything.
The problem shouldnt be just DX12, because even my Witcher 3 which runs on dx11 to my knowledge has the same issue.