[SOLVED] RTX 2070 Super crashing every game and benchmark

Dreamevil55

Honorable
May 4, 2016
Okay so bought a new GPU for a relative while upgrading his system. From a 1660Ti to 2070 Super. Zotac RTX 2070 Super Air or Mini, for his ITX build. Okay so, here's what unfolded..
I got the GPU in mail, so in order to test that in his system, I took out the 1660 Ti, mind you, I didn't DDU because upgrading from Turing to Turing. After installing the 2070s, I installed the latest Nvidia driver with a clean install. Everything seemed fine. First game I launched, Apex Legends. Played one game, went well on the fps and stuff.. then it crashed.. after I died. Engine Error – 0x887A0006 -“DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG.” Then I did some search about this error, most of the results said driver related. I tried other games..Witcher 3, seemed fine on ultra 1080p. AC Odyssey kept on running on the secondary screen for some reason. UserbenchMark went well for a 2070s. So I DDU this time, reinstall everything again. Now, no games are opening, everything crashes at the start. Even benchmarking apps like FurMark or UserBenchmark. Userbenchmark hangs up when it's turn for the GPU test. I tried DDUing with various Nvidia drivers, still the same. Sometimes I am getting random flickers on screen. I did all this while monitoring temps, fan speed. Temps never went over 40 degrees, fan speed remained at 33%. No loud fan noises, no pc crashes. I swapped the 1660Ti back in, that card works like a charm. At one point of DDUing, windows said to use DCH driver, did that as well. Nope. So fellas..
Is the GPU faulty ?
Is the PSU not keeping up ? (Silverstone ES 600W Bronze, power sucking stuff: 3 140mmx 2 120mm fans, 2 SATA HDDs and one SATA SSD)
Is it the new beta bios ? I have updated the bios because new Ryzen on the way. 1660Ti is working on it.
Am I going to lose hair on already receding hairline over this ?

Ryzen 5 2600, MSI A320m Pro VH plus with Beta Bios for Zen 2 support, 16gb 2666Mhz DDR4, Silverstone ST60F-ESB PSU.

Help, gurus !

Solution
Update: The GPU is faulty, I sent it to a shop to do stress tests, it's crashing there too. I will take the GPU for RMA. Now the thing is, did the PSU kill the GPU or was it factory faulty ? I have seen people use 2080 on 600w bronze PSU. The current system is running flawlessly with the 1660Ti on the same 600w.

You can run a GPU on lower than recommended but normally only if its a top quality PSU. The thing with a PC is why would you ever cheap out on the one part that feeds everything? The PSU is important enough that you should always go with the recommended and best quality unit you can. It will serve you far better.

PC components are not like a lot of other things in life. If it costs more most of the time, there are...
The PSU did not review well:

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/silverstone-st60f-esb/11.html

Its also a very old model. nVidia recommends a 650W PSU so considering that your PSU is a bronze rated unit that didn't review overall well and is 50W under the recommended that is what I would say is the issue. Just for reference the 1660Ti has a recommended wattage of 450W, 150W below your PSU.

I would highly recommend trying a better quality at least gold rated Corsair, Seasonic etc PSU first.

Dreamevil55

Honorable
May 4, 2016
The PSU did not review well:

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/silverstone-st60f-esb/11.html

Its also a very old model. nVidia recommends a 650W PSU so considering that your PSU is a bronze rated unit that didn't review overall well and is 50W under the recommended that is what I would say is the issue. Just for reference the 1660Ti has a recommended wattage of 450W, 150W below your PSU.

I would highly recommend trying a better quality at least gold rated Corsair, Seasonic etc PSU first.
Okay, wouldn't the whole pc crash if it was power constraint ? Anyway, due to budget issues, these are the only PSU that I can afford right now, which would be the best ?

1. Silverstone ET750-HG 80+ Gold Semi Modular/ ET650-HG 80+ Gold Semi Modular
  2. Corsair CXM 750W 80+ Bronze
  3. Thermaletake Smart Pro 750W 80+ Bronze Modular
  4. FSP Raider II 750W 80+ Silver

Last edited:

Dreamevil55

Honorable
May 4, 2016
Update: The GPU is faulty, I sent it to a shop to do stress tests, it's crashing there too. I will take the GPU for RMA. Now the thing is, did the PSU kill the GPU or was it factory faulty ? I have seen people use 2080 on 600w bronze PSU. The current system is running flawlessly with the 1660Ti on the same 600w.

You can't know for sure. A poor quality PSU can damage other components. The best thing to do is to replace the PSU even if it's not the problem. The Corsair model you mentioned above is the best out of those 4. Go with it.

You can run a GPU on lower than recommended but normally only if its a top quality PSU. The thing with a PC is why would you ever cheap out on the one part that feeds everything? The PSU is important enough that you should always go with the recommended and best quality unit you can. It will serve you far better.

PC components are not like a lot of other things in life. If it costs more most of the time, there are exceptions of course, its because its a better quality product.

Solution