thegreatswg

Commendable
Jan 17, 2018
So I've had this issue for a while; for whatever reason, my 2070 Super drivers will somehow disappear or stop working after rebooting or waking up my PC. Doing a clean reinstall via GeForce Experience does help, but not only does the problem happen after a reboot or waking my PC up as previously mentioned, but somehow the drivers will die on me half way though the day, or at least some time after I reinstalled them, so I'd have to do a second clean install just to get my 2070S to work properly again.

That being said, I tried using DDU earlier today to see if that'd help. I followed every step to a T: I restarted Windows 10 into Safe Mode, disconnected from the Internet, uninstalled everything Nvidia related, booted back up and downloaded and installed the drivers again. I even chose do to a clean install through the driver installer just to be on the safe side (even though I clearly didn't have to), and, much like a clean install through GeForce Experience, the drivers worked just fine. I got great performance in games like Doom Eternal like I'm supposed to.

However, some time had passed, and I decided to boot up Eternal again, but the performance was significantly worse. Meaning the drivers likely died on me again even though I did a clean reinstall via DDU. So somehow my drivers die on me after a certain amount of time has passed after reinstalling them, regardless if it's through GeForce Experience or DDU.

I recall an Nvidia forum thread about a similar issue and one of the replies mentioned checking Speccy if the words "BUS INTERFACE: PCI Express x16" were listed under the 2070S' specs, so I checked and oddly enough, "BUS INTERFACE: PCI Express x16 " was there, meaning my drivers were still installed and didn't delete themselves or anything somehow.

Thought on what I should do? Also just in case, here's my full rig:

RTX 2070 Super

AMD Ryzen 5 3600x

32gb of RAM at 3200MHz

EVGA Supernova 1000 G+ 1,000 Watt PSU

Lutfij

Titan
Make and model of your motherboard? What BIOS version are you working with at the moment? If you have BIOS updates pending, gradually work your way up to the latest and update the chipset drivers as well.

You should also look into the OS version as well. At the time of writing, we're on version 20H2. How old is the PSU? While installing the drivers, after using DDU, run in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Which driver versions have you tried thus far for your GPU?

thegreatswg

Commendable
Jan 17, 2018
Make and model of your motherboard? What BIOS version are you working with at the moment? If you have BIOS updates pending, gradually work your way up to the latest and update the chipset drivers as well.

You should also look into the OS version as well. At the time of writing, we're on version 20H2. How old is the PSU? While installing the drivers, after using DDU, run in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Which driver versions have you tried thus far for your GPU?

1. I have a ASRock X370 Gaming X (AM4) Mobo, BIOS version p5.90, 12/25/2019. Last I checked it's the latest version of the BIOS, but I think it was dated sometime back in February for some reason.

2. I'm on Windows 10 version 10.0.19041 Build 19041, which I assume is 20H2.

3. I'd say that the PSU is probably 1-2 years old at this point.

4. Didn't try Run as Admin, but I usually don't have to when installing new drivers or reinstalling them.

5. I've never tried rolling back drivers, but I've had this issue on several different ones. E.g, I forget what the exact numbering for the last driver version was, but I've had the issue with that driver as well as any other drive I've had before it with my 2070S.

thegreatswg

Commendable
Jan 17, 2018
Someone on a Discord server recommended I take pictures of Task Manager and Afterburner while playing a game with the broken drivers. I'm getting frames in the 80-110's when I should be getting over 200 most of the time (more or less, anyway). I also experienced some random hitching/freezing, but I chalked this up to my hard drives hitting 100% usage. This was on the Super Gore Nest level in Doom Eternal:

thegreatswg

Commendable
Jan 17, 2018
Update: So I tried doing what this post says to uninstall drivers manually last night: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-completely-uninstall-all-amd-nvidia-gpu-drivers.1953757/

For a while, it worked. Once I got all the drivers reinstalled, Doom Eternal was getting the framerate it was always supposed to get. Then I put my PC to sleep for the night, and when I booted it back up this morning I did a short test run of Eternal to see if the drivers were still in tact. Surely enough, performance was exactly the same as it was last night, high and rock solid framerates with no dips below 120-something or so in the slightest.

The rest of the day passes as I work on an unrelated project. After I finished work for the day, I decided to boot up Eternal again, however the performance was somehow much worse again, even though the drivers "survived" 8 or so hours of my PC being asleep, and I did nothing all day that would've harmed them in any way I would know. So my drivers somehow worsened by just the passage of time again (at least that's what it seems like anyway). Thoughts on this?