Question RTX 2070Super issues

samprinsen

Honorable
Feb 21, 2015
I received my MSI RTX 2070 Super Ventus 2 days ago, and since then, games have been having high frames but very noticable stutters. Before, with my GTX 1070, I rarely experienced any stuttering except for games like BF5. I just don't get how this can happen, since in Heaven benchmark and Userbenchmark, the card performs as it should. But in games, I get these microstutters every couple of seconds which really drives me crazy.
  • I have all the new drivers
  • I swapped the GPU into another PCI slot
-I swapped the power cables into another slot
- I went from windows 8.1 to 10 (which made it even worse, so Im back at 8.1)

So seeing that it performs well in benchmarks and some select games (RSS, GTA5), what could be the issue? I did notice that my SSD's have started to slow down significantly, but not in such a way that it would influence gameplay. My CPU is at 100% in some games, but I didn't have any issues with my CPU before I got my RTX 2070S.

MSI RTX 2070 Super Ventus OC
i5 8600K
16GB Ram
750W bequiet Bronze
2x 500GB SSD
Asrock z370 extreme4

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Your stuttering looks to be from your cpu.
If one of the main threads is maxed out, then that's where the cpu's performance is limited. The microstutters are from the cpu having trouble feeding enough frames to the gpu.
Download and run HWINFO, select sensors only. Spend some time playing all of your games, or just the ones you've noticed that are having this issue.
Take note, or record the thread usage. If one of the threads is constantly being pegged at 100%, that would indeed be the cause.

Some fixes to help balance things out include raising your visual graphics settings so the gpu gets more work, overclocking the cpu(if you haven't already), faster ram(although this tends not to affect Intel cpus too much), and superficially higher resolution via DSR.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Your new gpu is demanding more frame preparation from cpu and is elevating cpu usages.

He explains well,

In cpu intensive games, fps pre-rendering can stretch even the best cpus today to the limits.

Try running little as possible background programs to free up cpu resources and limit fps to an amount that helps. A program such as Winaero can help cpu focus more on game by disabling unnecessary processes/services temporarily.

samprinsen

Honorable
Feb 21, 2015
Your stuttering looks to be from your cpu.
If one of the main threads is maxed out, then that's where the cpu's performance is limited. The microstutters are from the cpu having trouble feeding enough frames to the gpu.
Download and run HWINFO, select sensors only. Spend some time playing all of your games, or just the ones you've noticed that are having this issue.
Take note, or record the thread usage. If one of the threads is constantly being pegged at 100%, that would indeed be the cause.

Some fixes to help balance things out include raising your visual graphics settings so the gpu gets more work, overclocking the cpu(if you haven't already), faster ram(although this tends not to affect Intel cpus too much), and superficially higher resolution via DSR.
I played a game of PUBG, high settings, 144FPS cap, the usage was around 80 percent for all of them. I also played BF1, which had zero stuttering issues. The only games that are really giving me stuttering issues (that I played today) are BF5 and PUBG, and Mordhau as well. Even when I turn down the graphics, micro stutters occur. BF1 and RSS work just fine.

samprinsen

Honorable
Feb 21, 2015
Your new gpu is demanding more frame preparation from cpu and is elevating cpu usages.

He explains well,

In cpu intensive games, fps pre-rendering can stretch even the best cpus today to the limits.

Try running little as possible background programs to free up cpu resources and limit fps to an amount that helps. A program such as Winaero can help cpu focus more on game by disabling unnecessary processes/services temporarily.
I downloaded Winaero, but I dont really get how it works. I will try to find some more info on it!

samprinsen

Honorable
Feb 21, 2015
I did notice that when Idle, one of my cores is always about 30-40 percent higher load than the rest. So right now, my cores are all between 10-25 percent load and the one core is at 50-70 percent load. The temps are all pretty much the same though, going from 39-50 degrees (the high-load core).

Edit: I am currently stress testing my cpu, under 100 percent load. After 5 min the temps are all at 70 degrees max, and all cores are at max load. I will keep it running for another 20 min to see if it stays stable. And yes, I think I did OC my cpu a while back, since it's at 4.1Ghz now instead of 3.6ghz. I might try to up it a bit more if that's necessary.

Last edited:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah with Win 10 and Cortana, neighbourhood update sharing and whatever else like gamebar dvr gameplay recording it has running this os needs a monster cpu to run it all lol.

Can do as much as you can software wise and still might not be enough. Faster ram may help quicken cpu workloads but if the idea came about upgrading to an 8700k or 9700k, those two would make a decent difference.

If something is zapping your cpu on idle would want to find out if it's just updates and hope it settles.

samprinsen

Honorable
Feb 21, 2015
Yeah with Win 10 and Cortana, neighbourhood update sharing and whatever else like gamebar dvr gameplay recording it has running this os needs a monster cpu to run it all lol.

Can do as much as you can software wise and still might not be enough. Faster ram may help quicken cpu workloads but if the idea came about upgrading to an 8700k or 9700k, those two would make a decent difference.

If something is zapping your cpu on idle would want to find out if it's just updates and hope it settles.
Assuming that the stress test will show all cores performing the same, with temps around 70 degrees max, is it safe to assume that the cpu is not the problem? Cause at 4.1Ghz, I would think it should be able to run pubg at high/ultra with no stutter. I had this same problem a couple of years ago, and it turned out to be my hdd being very slow and old. So maybe my new SSD's are failing? Cause right now all cores are still at 100 percent in the test with good temps.

samprinsen

Honorable
Feb 21, 2015
Update: A quick question, one of the cores just went down to about 60/90 percent load for about 5-10 sec during the stress test and kept fluctuating in that range until it went back to 100 percent. The temps are the same as the others, and it has been at 100 percent for a couple of min now. Is that an issue? (it is not the same core that was higher in idle).

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Gaming is different to benchmarks, there's more game code to compute and multiplayer also adds more cpu. Not every game is optimised the same either as youd probably know.

It's been made aware 8600k/9600k do suffer at higher frame rates.

Faster ram may help and more can help reduce ssd io activity. 16GB is becoming the recommended minimum, 32 would be better.

samprinsen

Honorable
Feb 21, 2015
144fps is too much. Cap lower and see how you go. Between 80~115fps.
Will do, just did 144fps because of my 144hz screen. I do have another issue now though... One of my Cores is stuck at 100 percent load when im just browsing the internet. The rest has 3-15 percent load. I read that it could be a datamine virus, but my Norton antivirus program hasnt found anything. Any clue as to what could cause this?

samprinsen

Honorable
Feb 21, 2015
UPDATE: I OC'ed my CPU (it apparently wasn't overclocked) to 4.8Ghz, and capped FPS to 120, and up until now I have had zero stuttering. I don't know if this has fixed all the issues in all games, but in PUBG, I have had no issues for a couple of minutes, which is very promising!

Reactions: Terry1978 and boju

Terry1978

Honorable
Apr 25, 2015
Have you checked on the monitor panel are you runing the game from pcu or gpu ?
Right klik on screen nvidia panel opens uper right corner is it on PCU or GPU usage ... put it on GPU if on CPU.
I hade some problems when i upgraded to the 1060 6gb and my pc decided to go CPU instead of GPU maybe you have the same problem!!!

samprinsen

Honorable
Feb 21, 2015
so the oc working?
Yup, didn't know how to close a post sorry! So you can delete it!

samprinsen

Honorable
Feb 21, 2015
Have you checked on the monitor panel are you runing the game from pcu or gpu ?
Right klik on screen nvidia panel opens uper right corner is it on PCU or GPU usage ... put it on GPU if on CPU.
I hade some problems when i upgraded to the 1060 6gb and my pc decided to go CPU instead of GPU maybe you have the same problem!!!
Not really sure what you mean. The game utilizes both CPU and GPU in games, so what do you mean exactly?

Terry1978

Honorable
Apr 25, 2015
have you used the msi afterburner? maybe that will help you smooth things out .
I was trying to say that somewhere your pc is not balancing corectly and stated my problem that was similar to yours and how i fixed it .using the MSI Afterburner software and on the nvdia panel where the PhysX is i ticked the GPU as prosesor not the CPU .