[SOLVED] RTX 2080 spiking above normal clock speed.

Oct 11, 2019
Hi,

So i posted on here yesterday regarding my games that continue to crash in my new rig. Im new to all of this.

I just tried to run ghost recon (new one) and as soon as the game tried to load my save, the game closed informing me i had exceeded the available memory on the GPU. (I was at 5/8GB for in game usage). I had GPU Z and Tweak II running in the background to make sure they were cataloguing the same thing.

I have not overclocked anything in this rig. According to the tweak software, the GPU is set to perform with a GPU speed of 1740Mhz (im guessing this means max?)
Yet when i played ghost recon and rocket legue, the GPU speed would go up to 1950Mhz.

According to ebuyer, looking at the specs on the gpu.

General
Core Clock1515 MHz
Boost Clock1770 MHz

Memory
Effective Clock Speed14000 MHz

When running GPU Z and TWEAK II, my GPU clock has gone up to 1950Mhz and a Memory clock of 1750Mhz.

I am a little lost on what to think or do, i just know things are not performing as they should and something has upset the PC.
We had crashes before, leading us to reformat all the drives and download windows. The problem needless to say has continued.

Thanks for any advice
J

Solution
GPU boost clocks and Memory are correct. The 1750 on MEM is x8, hence the rated 14000. Regarding GPU boost, it's all a bonus of sorts depending on power and temp conditions. They are just guaranteeing the 1770 at normalized gaming temps after card has warmed up when being fully utilized. For example, my 2080Ti boost to 2012Mhz in-game because of cooling I'm using. Boost rating is 1635 according to EVGA. This is with no adjustments.
That is normal behavior regarding boost clocks and your RTX 2080. The 1770Mhz range is based on what clocks should be at normal temps after gaming for a while. It's normal to clock much higher if temps and power limit settings for the card allow. This has been the case for several generations. What happens in other games? Could be a bug in new Ghost Recon.

Oct 11, 2019
That is normal behavior regarding boost clocks and your RTX 2080. The 1770Mhz range is based on what clocks should be at normal temps after gaming for a while. It's normal to clock much higher if temps and power limit settings for the card allow. This has been the case for several generations. What happens in other games? Could be a bug in new Ghost Recon.

They all crash. Witcher crashes every 5 minutes, Rl crashed with some artifacting, like everything went yellow. Super position crashed 1/4 times it ran.

Rl hasn't crashed since redownloading windows, but witcher does straight away.

Okay so take home message, memory clock and gpu clock speeds will spike to these figures if allowed. Why does it not mention them on their tech specs then? I just see like maximus of 1770.

Thank you for the reply

GPU boost clocks and Memory are correct. The 1750 on MEM is x8, hence the rated 14000. Regarding GPU boost, it's all a bonus of sorts depending on power and temp conditions. They are just guaranteeing the 1770 at normalized gaming temps after card has warmed up when being fully utilized. For example, my 2080Ti boost to 2012Mhz in-game because of cooling I'm using. Boost rating is 1635 according to EVGA. This is with no adjustments.

Solution
What are your full system specs? Since you re-installed Window itself, the OS and software itself is unlikely to be cause, plus being a new build. I'm guessing you tried multiple GPU drivers. PCI-E cables firmly pressed into the card as well as other power connections firmly in place?

Oct 11, 2019
What are your full system specs? Since you re-installed Window itself, the OS and software itself is unlikely to be cause, plus being a new build. I'm guessing you tried multiple GPU drivers. PCI-E cables firmly pressed into the card as well as other power connections firmly in place?

Tried uninstalling GeForce initially with DDU pre reformat. We used older NVIDIA drivers, like when i wasnt geitting crashes but that didnt seem to work.

We initially made sure all the cables were firmly in place, however, at this point it wouldnt hurt to give everything a little press again.

I keep thinking on the message from ghost recon, making me wonder if its a memory issue. Any ideas on how i would test the memory issue?

System specs are:
Windows 10 Home x64
ASUS ROG GeForce RTX2080 A 8GB
i9 9900K 3.6
32 GB RAM, corsair vengeance, 3600Mhz
Asus Rog Z390F motherboard
corsair H115i platinum cooling
HX100I PSU

Heres my other thread with a little more detail on the whole thing. https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/rtx-2080-frequent-crashes-no-idea-what-to-do.3533851/

Oct 11, 2019
Nice build :) The message is just from that game/settings. Doubtful its memory itself in that sense. That said, outside of gaming, how do things run? Do CPU stress tests, RAM stresstests run fine? Temps all in check? Fans running correctly? Pump speed?

Thank you, would be even nicer if it was functional! ha ha
Everything runs really smoothly, fast shut downs and start ups.
Occasionally, rarely, a program like icue or AI suite wont open, where i have to manually shut it down in task manager and retry but thats it.

Did Cinebench for the CPU and it was golden.
Multiple GPU tests like Furmark, Heaven and Superposition. Mixed results, mostly good scores, 1/5 crashes in superposition and Furmark closed its self at like the 25 minute mark 2/4 times.
The temps were all good, GPU and CPU, they go up then stabilise

Any suggestion for a RAM stress test?

Thanks, J