Question RTX 3080 almost unusable on PCIe 4.0 x16

Jan 16, 2021
Hi.
Recently I have built a PC with ryzen 5900x, aorus xtreme x570 mobo and RTX 3080 gpu.
When PCI mode set to gen4 or auto in BIOS, it takes 5 minutes for PC to boot or sometimes it will just stuck at 97 led error code. Even navigation in BIOS is a nightmare - refreshing of screen takes up to a minute. Finally after PC booted up I tired AIDA gpu test and memory read and write speeds were like 1000/300 mbs (Should be much higher). GPU even struggles to render nvidia emblem in control panel...
But when I set gen3 mode everyhing wors fine, performance is acceptable.

Tried removing as much perephials as I can, changing RAM and booting with one stick, updating to latest BIOS, resetting bios, DDU nvidia deivers and installing latest.

I am totally broken now as I’ve spent a lot of money for this PC and make a lot of effort into it. And no
w I dont know which component to blame... Need help please.

Jan 16, 2021
While this maybe a bios issue, it would be good to know that its not CPU or GPU issue or otherwise bring it back to store if needed.
In addition: GPU works fine in PCI 4 x8 mode.

So if it works in PCI 3 X16 and PCI 4 x8 is it safe to say GPU itself is functional (pci connector, lanes, board itself)?

May 7, 2021
Hello.
Unfortunately no. Still using it in gen 3 mode since RMA maybe very difficult nowadays.
What is your setup btw?
I've tried everything that I found on the internet, but I still haven't found a solution. My specs are:
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900x
GPU: RTX 3080 Aorus Master
Mobo: x570 Aorus Elite
RAM: 32gb (4x8gb) 3600mhz G.Skill

Bassman999

Prominent
Feb 27, 2021
I have used 2 different 3080s in Gigabyte B550I pro ax with no issues with a 5900X
Totally guessing, but since you both have the same mb I have a feeling that is where the issue lies.
I didnt ever update to the latest bios. I am one before the latest so I could post with 5900x and not same support. Maybe the latest bios is the issue...

I hope you guys can get it resolved!