Sam_163

Honorable
Jul 29, 2016
This has honestly had me pulling my hair out.

Today my PC has just started black screening for a minute or 2 (with weird blue and red outlines of objects in games) and then rebooting, only while playing games (weirdly stress testing the GPU is perfectly fine).

This has never happened before, I've had this PC for 2 years now.

The crazy thing about it is that this has only started today despite no Windows Updates, Driver Updates, BIOS updates or any changes whatsoever in the BIOS or in Windows. I was happily playing games all of yesterday and this morning with no issues, it happened once today and now it happens every time the GPU comes under any sort of gaming load.

There's a few articles with similar issues I've looked around but nothing seems to work which is why I'm opening this in the hope someone has seen and fixed this before.

The only things you see in Event Log before and after this happens are:
"Dump file creation failed due to error during dump creation."
and
"The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

I've clean installed the Nvidia drivers from their website with the latest Game Ready Drivers and if anything it seems to have made it worse (Could be placebo).

I've also ran memtest, Prime95 (to rule out CPU) as well as chkdsk and Sabrent's Disk Health check and there's 0 issues so this has got to be GPU related right?

Temps look ok across all the hardware, I did have my AIO die a couple of months ago but replaced it. Temps were very high when it died as the pump broke while the PC was on, it did thermal shutdown but last readout was 115 degrees celcius, hope that hasn't damaged anything.

My system Specs are:
CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x (Completely stock settings)
Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk
RAM: 2x16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200Mhz with XMP enabled
GPU: RTX 3080 Founders Edition (Completely stock settings)
Storage: Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus 2TB
PSU: Silverstone SX800-LTI 80+ Titanium 800w

I'll link a video below as an example of the issue.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/11UiKXsl4rSoHexBoVwf_9MJ5XrlNP6An/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
This has never happened before, I've had this PC for 2 years now.
PSU: Silverstone SX800-LTI 80+ Titanium 800w
GPU: RTX 3080 Founders Edition (Completely stock settings)

If your platform is rebooting when taxed with a game, then it's either one of two things;
1| Your PSU is struggling to power all components when you're gaming
or
2| Your platform is having a thermal/heating issue.

Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk
What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard?

I did have my AIO die a couple of months ago but replaced it.
You didn't mention the AIO cooling that processor. Speaking of which, how is it oriented in your build?

As for your games, where did you source the installer for said game(s)?

Try and borrow a higher wattage, reliably built, branded PSU for your build and see if the issue replicates.

Sam_163

Honorable
Jul 29, 2016
Thanks for your response.

Bios Version according to System Information:
American Megatrends International, LLC. A.50, 15/01/2021 SMBIOS Version 2.8

Cooler is the "ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 360 RGB" and it's currently oriented with the radiator exhausting at the top of the case, so the radiator is above the pump. Also this is possibly the best cooler I've used so far with the heat monster that is the 5800x, so I don't think CPU temps are the issue.

The games are just installed using launchers such as Steam, EA App and Origin etc, as in the video linked, they're all legit and paid for games.

I can try to source another power supply, as the case is SFX it'll have to sit outside of the PC. The power supply in there is definetely a reliably built one, Silverstone are reputable and its not exactly a cheap one by their standards with an 80+ Titanium rating too. 800 Watts should be more than enough to power a 5800x and an RTX 3080 I would've thought and its ran perfectly fine for the last 2 years (including literally just yesterday).

I'll give the power supply a try, part of my mind is thinking this is driver related. Its not as if it just reboots, it hangs for a minute or 2, and what the video doesn't show is that you also get artifacts or red and blue outlines on the black screen as it crashes.

Sam_163

Honorable
Jul 29, 2016
As an update, tried a spare power supply I had, BeQuiet also 800watts 80+ gold etc. that I know works and I still get the exact same issue.

However after probably the 30th time this has happened I finally got something in event viewer to work with.

Whea: Cache Hierarchy Error

As per suggestions I've seen on posts for that error I've reset my BIOS to default, updated the BIOS to the latest available and Disabled PBO.

Still get the same issue.

Sam_163

Honorable
Jul 29, 2016
Just dropping one last thing here for anyone having this issue.

If you're getting this reboot issue and can still get into Windows open event viewer and look in the history section for Whea errors. Although most the time it just says unexpected power loss there's likely something in the history somewhere. If you see Whea Cache Hierarchy Error with Code:18 then you're in the same boat as me.

If you're getting the same error as me, although it seems like it this is not power supply related or temperature related and is an issue with the CPU.

Looking around it actually seems to be a somewhat common issue with Ryzen processors.

If possible get an RMA. I did and it was approved and a replacement was sent within a week. With the new CPU I can play games again and there's no issues so far!

Reactions: Why_Me