[SOLVED] RTX 4080 has high power draw when watching youtube videos ?

nbt

Mar 12, 2023
Hi everyone!

I have an issue with youtube playback, and generally browser based video playback.
I have a 4k LG monitor and a 4080 Zotac oc GPU, just recently upgraded.

The issue is when i watch a youtube video 1080p, 1440p at 1/4 screen the gpu power draw is around 16w. But if i watch the same video fullscreen the gpu power draw jumps to 75-150w depending on the video/fps.
This results in 10-15 °C plus in GPU temperature and 5-10x GPU power consumption, values i see only when playing in 4k.

Additionally:
- if i play 4 different youtube videos at 1/4 screen space 1080p each, the gpu power draw still around 16w
-if i play a 4k youtube video fullscreen power draw is also 17w, but the moment i switch to to 1080p it jumps to 150w and stays there
-if i play a 1080p movie with VLC player fullscreen the power draw still 16w
-i recreated the above with Edge browser - i use Chrome - and with different web based playbacks other than youtube
-i use GPU-Z for the numbers

So i hope it is "only" a software issue, because the hardware is clearly capable playing 1080p (VLC) or 4k fullscreen (youtube) at the very reasonable 16w gpu power draw.

Sadly so far my ticket issued to NVIDIA isn't going anywhere.

Anybody has similar problem and maybe a solution or tip?

Thanks

Colif

Win 11 Master
why issue ticket with Nvidia?? wouldn't Zotac be a better place to start?

Card is meant to use way less in 1080p

Does it matter what browser you use for Youtube?

Reactions: vladakv and Tac 25

nbt

Mar 12, 2023
The last driver update did solve my problem, although according to NVIDIA logs it was a high CPU usage fix (among others). My CPU usage was fine, and the GPU video load were underutilized, the GPU clock and load overused in playback scenarios.

Reactions: vladakv
May 23, 2023
The last driver update did solve my problem, although according to NVIDIA logs it was a high CPU usage fix (among others). My CPU usage was fine, and the GPU video load were underutilized, the GPU clock and load overused in playback scenarios.
May I ask you how much your Power consumtion ist during video playback or office work? (I am currently testing a 7900 xt and wondering if a 4080 is the more "sensible" option.)