Jul 27, 2024
Hi! I have a problem with my RTX 4080 Gaming OC from Gigabyte.

My PC is working very unstable and it depends heavily on how I physically put my GPU into the PC.

Applying different levels of support or pressure on GPU with a support bracket, accidental touching, moving cables inside of the case and moving PC in general can result into Windows eventually going into an instant reboot for no reason (while doing some basic tasks like opening explorer or browsing), have random lags, freezes and performance drops in games, showing black screen on boot (with VGA and DRAM leds on the motherboard) until I restart several times or prod GPU again.

For example, while playing in VR it can work perfectly fine for some time and then unexpectedly start lagging and freezing for no reason and I have to wait for several minutes until it randomly stops doing that or reboot the whole PC completely.
When these lags were happening I've noticed that vrcompositor.exe process started using 100% of GPU and in the monitoring software I saw really strange constant spikes from 5% to almost 100% and back to 5% on GPU Bus usage and kinda similar spikes in power draw.

I've tried to put this card into a completely different PC and it had the same problems there. It takes some time and fondling to find a position of the GPU support that makes the GPU more stable and less glitchy.

I've also tried a different GPU in my PC and everything was good and stable without any of mentioned problems.

The PCI-E connector on GPU looks good, clean, no oxidation or broken pads/traces there.
I've tried both the original power adapter that came with the GPU and the new 12vhpwr cable that was with my "be quiet" PSU.

This GPU had similar kind of problems in the beginning when it was new, but they were not so often and less severe.

Unfortunately at this point it's too late to replace or return it so I wonder if there's any way to improve the situation by software or any other means?

Motherboard: ASRock B650 LiveMixer
CPU: AMD R7 7800X3D
RAM: G.skill 64GB RAM 2x32 6000MT/s, expo enabled
PSU: Be quiet straight power 1500W