Status
Not open for further replies.

matthewmurphy57

Honorable
Oct 8, 2018
Hi, im having issues with the specs as seen in my signature, bf5 and bf1 run about 90fps to 120 on 1080p or 4k (res scale) no matter what settings, when even the 6800xt i returned ran the games at 165 locked on low - I am very puzzled by this and nor happy. Same thing goes for squad its going below 60 fps on either 4k or 1080p res scale, even if there is a bottlekneck this should not be performain the same or owrse than my old 2070s and temporarily owned 6800 xt. This is rigth after a reformat of my pc so its a fresh install and after numerous driver installs. Not happy after committing this much money (I only did so to get max fps on games like squad and other fps games that are demanding at around 1440p 100fps to 165.) It is also worth noting I have a 12700 on the way and a possible 13600k in the future but that should not be neccessary to run a game from 2016 and 2018 at above 90 fps at 1080p. My mobo is a z490-a pro with 3000mghz ram and my new board is a z690-a pro with the same configuration. All power connectors are plugged in tight and my psu is a msi 850gf gold rated psu so there is no issue on that end when the card is a 320 tdp and my cpu has turbo off leaving it below 125w. any help would be appreciated!

full spec list:
rtx 4080 aero
i7 10700k
16 gb corsair vengeance 3000mghz
2 ssds, a 240 boot drive and old 120gb for games (will be being changed for a 1tb)
1tb hdd
Msi 850gf gold rated psu
Windows 10
nzxt 510 flow

Last edited:
its a fresh install and after numerous driver installs.
this can be a big issue in Windows.
drivers may get uninstalled or overwritten but other data is usually left behind that can interfere with proper communication and/or control of the device.

either do another fresh install of the OS, or just run Display Driver Uninstaller from Windows Safe Mode and make sure to remove everything related to graphics, and then reinstall latest Nvidia drivers.

Reactions: PEnns

matthewmurphy57

Honorable
Oct 8, 2018
this can be a big issue in Windows.
drivers may get uninstalled or overwritten but other data is usually left behind that can interfere with proper communication and/or control of the device.

either do another fresh install of the OS, or just run Display Driver Uninstaller from Windows Safe Mode and make sure to remove everything related to graphics, and then reinstall latest Nvidia drivers.
Hi yeah I did do that, I used ddu, then wiped all my partitions, then fresh install on a different drive to my old c drive (my 120 now my c is my 240) so it was an entirely fresh start :/

matthewmurphy57

Honorable
Oct 8, 2018
How much ram you got?
What are your CPU temps? GPU temps? What cpu cooler are you using?
Do you maintain up-to-date security software? Have you ran a scan with Malwarebytes recently?
I have 16, and the point of this is nothing has changed but my gpu, but my fps in these games is significantly worse, my gpu rarely breaks 60 most of the times its acc around 54 and my cpu is about54 to 69 most games with a h7a cooler.

Do you have any tests outside of specific games? Something like a Unigine or Furmark benchmark or Time Spy graphics score for both your old 6800XT and your new RTX 4080?
I've seen it before where a forgotton mod, in-game setting, or ini setting made this big difference. For all intents and purposes, the RTX 4080 is the better/faster card. If everything else is the same then that points to an issue specifically with the 4080, settings or otherwise.

matthewmurphy57

Honorable
Oct 8, 2018
Do you have any tests outside of specific games? Something like a Unigine or Furmark benchmark or Time Spy graphics score for both your old 6800XT and your new RTX 4080?
I've seen it before where a forgotton mod, in-game setting, or ini setting made this big difference. For all intents and purposes, the RTX 4080 is the better/faster card. If everything else is the same then that points to an issue specifically with the 4080, settings or otherwise.
Yeah well I acc had the same issue with the 6800 xt where some games were great some not so great, its a massive inconvenience im very unlucky. Unless there is some bug with my pcie 3.0 as opposed to the 4.0 you get with 11th or 5.0 with 12th and 13th that is causing hiccups I cant see what other issue there may be. I have repaired windows, installed it to a dif drive, dont driver reinstalls, i am going to try older drivers to see how they do too.

neither cpu nor gpu are being used very much, about 30 percent to 40 only in some games like insurgency sandstorm does it go higher for them :/ I always have monitoring software on when i play
i don't mean usage %, i mean the actual speeds the GPU core and memory are running at.
had the same issue with the 6800 xt
it's possible your PSU is failing and can't provide enough stable power for either card.

matthewmurphy57

Honorable
Oct 8, 2018
i don't mean usage %, i mean the actual speeds the GPU core and memory are running at.

it's possible your PSU is failing and can't provide enough stable power for either card.
Well it ran the 2070s jsut fine, and the weird thing is so far its only these games, for eg on insurgency sandstorm its 155 fps at 4k, and furthermore the psu is brandnew with corsair brand braided cables and modular ones so it cant be the issue.

the psu is brandnew with corsair brand braided cables and modular ones so it cant be the issue
definitely not true.
components fail, come DOA, have minor malfunctions, etc everyday regardless of age.

try the original cables and see if it makes any sort of difference in those particular games.
i've seen many times where users tried custom cables and had issue with them.

and make sure you do check the GPU core & memory speeds while in one of those games that has trouble.

without troubleshooting every possible option you may never find a culprit.

matthewmurphy57

Honorable
Oct 8, 2018
Hey i have monitored my clockspeed in some games. Insurgency was reading abou 2850 on average. Rising Storm 2 was 890 to 1280? Insurgency usage for gpu was between 54 to 80 mostly in 50s and rs2 it was about 30 percent usage?

Yeah well I acc had the same issue with the 6800 xt where some games were great some not so great, its a massive inconvenience im very unlucky. Unless there is some bug with my pcie 3.0 as opposed to the 4.0 you get with 11th or 5.0 with 12th and 13th that is causing hiccups I cant see what other issue there may be. I have repaired windows, installed it to a dif drive, dont driver reinstalls, i am going to try older drivers to see how they do too.
Sooo, the RTX 4080 is better in some games...? The performance difference at different settings, when comparing different GPUs from AMD and NVIDIA, will NOT scale proportionally.

Also, PCIe 3.0 x16 slot can still supply enough bandwidth for current cards, at their peak performance, as long as your card isn't limited to x8 PCIe lanes (e.g. RX 6500 XT). I went from a PCIe 3.0 x16 motherboard to a PCIe 5.0 x16 motherboard. My 6900 XT's (a PCIe 4.0 x16 card) Time Spy graphics score didn't change.

Run HWiNFO64 in the background for at least 20 mins (sensors only, logging on) during a game you think you should be getting better performance out of. When complete go through the logs to see if anything is amiss or upload the log file somewhere we can grab it.

matthewmurphy57

Honorable
Oct 8, 2018
Sooo, the RTX 4080 is better in some games...? The performance difference at different settings, when comparing different GPUs from AMD and NVIDIA, will NOT scale proportionally.

Also, PCIe 3.0 x16 slot can still supply enough bandwidth for current cards, at their peak performance, as long as your card isn't limited to x8 PCIe lanes (e.g. RX 6500 XT). I went from a PCIe 3.0 x16 motherboard to a PCIe 5.0 x16 motherboard. My 6900 XT's (a PCIe 4.0 x16 card) Time Spy graphics score didn't change.

Run HWiNFO64 in the background for at least 20 mins (sensors only, logging on) during a game you think you should be getting better performance out of. When complete go through the logs to see if anything is amiss or upload the log file somewhere we can grab it.
Nah, so basically I have tested the same settings I used on my 2070s, 6800xt and 4080 and what i mean is oddly enough some games are insane and some games way worse than even my 2070 super. For example chivalry 2 has loads of artifacts and issues an dabout 80 fps on 1080 as opposed to no issues on my 2070. Or squad being 90fps dx12 to dx11/12 4080 being about 60 max on all res. And yeah when Im home tonight ill give the winfo64 thing a try.

matthewmurphy57

Honorable
Oct 8, 2018
Hi guys sorry for the late reply, been quite busy, Just done some preliminary benchmarks with my new i7 12700 and 4080 setup, cinebench r23 the cpu scored about 16280 which from what I have seen it should be around 21000. And in heaven the gpu scored 7202 with a average framerate of 285.9 and temps of 51 to 60 degrees and the cpu about the same. Puzzling perfromance from the i7, its a fresh install of windows and all turbo boosts and settings like that are enabled except resizeable bar and it is not on the newest bios of my board - I will be updating it and retesting shortly. My performance in games like bf4 and bf1 is perfect now wit it being between 280 and 380 on 4k ultra bf4 and 160 to 220 bf1 ultra. Bf4 is still a black sheep of poor frames and squad, whilst improved does not warrant a change in fps no matter whart settings, resolution or graphics api (11 or 12) I use to test. Pubg also goes into the high 100s on ultra 1080p with 120 res scale.

Not really a huge benchmarking person so apologies if this seems bland or not in-depth.

Many thanks,

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.