Rumor: Next Windows to Keep Modern UI, Live Tiles

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnUSA

Distinguished
May 14, 2008
Adios stupid and stubborn Microsoft, you just do not listen to your Windows users and try to cram your garbage and poorly designed OS on us.
Well, we are not gonna take anymore sh!t from you, and Windows 7 will be my last Windows version that I will use. When the right time comes I will start using Linux. I will never ever use the evil fruit company, Apple, as I abhor and hate Apple with all my heart.
I did not think that Microsoft will be so stupid. May they go completely bankrupt.

AnUnusedUsername

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
[citation][nom]super d spamalot[/nom]It's not that much different, just like Windows 8 isn't that much different then 7. I'm only relaying the sorts of comments people were making about XP around that time, I didn't say any of it made sense.[/citation]

How is Metro not different from Windows 7? I'm not sure where you're going with that. No one's really concerned that the Windows 8 desktop changed, the issue is that Microsoft is eventually going to replace the desktop entirely with Metro. And that would be bad, because as it currently stands Metro is pretty awful unless you're running a tablet with zero screen area. You can't really defend Windows 8 unless you want to defend replacing the desktop with Metro, and I don't think there's anyone that really wants that.

Sure, Windows 8 still has a desktop, but it's WORSE than the windows 7 desktop because they removed Aero and the start button but didn't add anything new. So even if you don't care about those it's just identical, certainly not better.

NewbieTechGodII

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006

Well let's go in reverse order here:

1. I do have a WP8; a Nokia 822 as a matter of fact. I want the 920, but I am on Verizon and they ain't available yet. My BB Tour was on its last legs so I decided not to hold out any longer. If you made all of the tiles on WP8 the smallest they could go, you could get anywhere from 24-32 tiles, but if you did, you would lose the animations or whatnot they have, and you would increase the chance of hitting the wrong tile. Remember, with a touch UI, smaller is not always better.

2. YES!!! Put your shortcuts on your DESKTOP! I do and have no problems. Put the ones you use most in the Task Bar and the rest on the Desktop. I also don't see how it's poorly optimized for the desktop; I have a 24" screen and things work fine for me. I've played around with the various tablets in the stores and it still doesn't bother me, though I have to learn the touch gestures.

3. If MS had done what you suggest, they would be dinged for making the Start screen cluttered and unattractive. Now, I do not like that you get a zillion icons dumped onto the Start screen when a app is installed (but YOU CAN REMOVE THEM), and I do not particularly like how the All Apps screen looks since it's a little difficult to tell the program groups apart. MS also shouldn't have allowed a program group to span multiple columns, but there it is.

Now, as I've said many times before, I am using 8 like I did 7: I customize the Desktop and Task Bar with the icons I want and clear the rest. In this case, whenever I log-on, I immediately click the Desktop tile and I almost never see the Metro Start screen again. Problem solved.

Speaking of logging-in, I don't particularly like that MS gives you only two choices of passwords- your Live ID or a 4-digit PIN. In any case, I use the PIN to login because frankly, my Live ID password is too long and cumbersome! :)

Finally, I sincerely believe people are bitching about the wrong things here. However, I will say that there is little reason to go from 7 to 8.

EDIT: You also realize, don't you, that you CAN put MORE TILES ON THE START SCREEN, RIGHT? First, be on the Metro Start screen and bring-up Settings. When you click on it, look at the top right and you'll see the setting for Tile. Click on it and you'll see Show More Tiles. By default it's turned-off, so just slide it on, and there you go. I believe it increases the rows from 5 to 7.

NewbieTechGodII

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006

I would say it's time for a serious upgrade. Seriously, people making this kind of bitch would be the same people who would drive a Model T and then complain they couldn't haul their 20' camper and then blame the camper manufacturer for even making a camper that large! Sheesh...get over it people.

NewbieTechGodII

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006

God I hope you don't call yourself a Power User or even think of yourself as being Tech Savvy...because THERE ARE MANY MANY PROGRAMS OUT THERE (AND FREE), THAT GIVE YOU A FULLY-FUNCTIONAL WIN7 START MENU AND SOME EVEN ALLOW YOU TO BYPASS THE METRO START SCREEN ALTOGETHER!

NewbieTechGodII

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006

dumb dumb dumb dumb to an infinite level.

NewbieTechGodII

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006

Really sounds like your having HARDWARE issues. If your HARDWARE is having issues, so will SOFTWARE.

Your SSD only has 3GB left? JFC- get a BIGGER SSD or go back to a MECHANICAL HDD. I have a Vector 512GB SSD and even though it's on a SATA2 interface, I still have zero issues with it.

And what buttons are you bitching about that ain't lined-up?

Lastly, NEVER DO AN UPGRADE...ALWAYS DO A FRESH INSTALL. Even MS will tell you that.

NewbieTechGodII

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006

Very well said.

NewbieTechGodII

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006

Well define 'better' for us, then. What works for YOU may be of no use or interest for someone else.

I also agree that the product appearance of the various MS product lines were wildly inconsistent, but that's why MS went to the Metro Design Language in the first place. Fewer visual gimmicks (Aero for example), means less code, less hardware horsepower, and a nicer, cleaner, integrated look. I personally like it. I just didn't see what the big whoop-tee-do about Aero was, personally.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
A tad off topic, but first AMD win 8 deserves it: http://microsoft-news.com/vizio-announce-first-amd-powered-windows-8-tablet-with-1080p-screen/

NewbieTechGodII

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006

Yeah....that's waaaaaaaayyy off-topic.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
So I guess they don't want to sell win9 either...LOL

Not quite sure why you can't already change tile sizes (how hard is that?), and this certainly isn't a feature I'd upgrade for, even at $15. It's just the same ripoff on another scale. Like forcing users off winxp for a new directx. Looks like i'll have a dualboot of xp64 (until what, mid 2014 or so when real support ends and drivers too), win7 x64 until...well until MS kills metro on the desktop or allows me to do it with a check box and of course puts the start button etc (read:functionality) back. Of course they can push this for a long time before it really hurts them. Even if your PC ships with 8 or your company buys lics with it, they still get the same sale when you dump an image of win7 on it. People on SA already paid. They really don't care if you put win95 on etc...They already have these people's money and don't get financially hurt by whatever you put on. IF I bought a PC today (I build so never but just saying), I'd get it in the door and put on win7/xp 10 minutes later. They still sold the OS and don't care either way financially. It only hurts small PC companies for the most part as a few sales are lost (delayed?) from fear of upgrading (very small to MS). Profits didn't take in the vista/me years. Business still buys an OS, they just don't keep the one they get, and install an image of an old one instead (the bulk of MS money is still coming in).

WinXP is still a great OS spamalot...LOL. It's extremely fast (on anything) and there's no reason to move if you have a corp copy other than to get a new DirectX. There's nothing I do FASTER in Win7 than XP. I only boot win7 because of IT these days migrating to it, otherwise I'd probably still be on xp64 because it just works and all my hardware is still fully supported (vid, lan, creative card etc) ;) That's not to say I don't like some of the things in win7...I'm just saying there was NOTHING WRONG with xp64. I hate win7 explorer (not IE, well that too..LOL, but I mean EXPLORER itself). I use it so much I had to replace it in order to not desire to go back to XP (total commander, xplorer2, xyplorer etc...take your pick all far better).

NewbieTechGodII

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006

Please, change your name to 'Total Idiot'. It suits you better.

hannibal

Distinguished
The MS new ecosystem is based on Metro UI, so it is not hard to see that win 9 will have it. The thing that we can hope is that "Metro 2.0" is more suited allso to the desktop computers. It is not actually bad, but as many have said it is better suited to touch sceens.

The old article about win9 is guite good. http://www.tomshardware.com/news/windows-8-user-interface-ux,19191.html

Win 7 will be the most popular UI for many years to come. But we allso know that last service pack for win 7 is 9.4.2013 and basic support (new features) ends 13.1.2015 and extended support ends 14.1.2020. Those who plays new highend games with top hardware will move on at latest 2015 to the next windows (what ever it will be) Corporations and normal users will move 2018-2020...
So high end gamers have two years left and I don't think that Linux will be "big" gaming platform in that time period. If you just use office programs and play older games you are not in hurry for many years or you can use Linux even now, but even 2020 is too soon for radical movement to Linux. I hope that it would be possible, but economical reasons does not support that kind of change.
It would be good for UI competition if we could have big enough competitor in PC world, but Linux is not there yet. It has become much easier to use, and it has a lot of good programs, but only a hadfull of games and only a handfull of professional programs.
Summasummarum, the most logical thing is that MS does make win9 or win10 or win11 more mouse orientated, or peple just start using 7"-13" touchsreen devices to controll win UI. Hard to say... But those kids that are 6-10 now will never go back to mouse if there will be good touch based devised to controll the UI... I am old fossil, so I can only hope good mouse support for next 10-20 years to come, but soon after that I will be in minority...

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
How come this site has not reported on, but other sites have, the $617 million 3 year deal for the US Department of Defence to upgrade to Windows 8?
I'm sure the site hit counters go crazy when stories likely to cause a negative vibe are read, so are they actively avoiding positive ones?
Tom's, please explain yourselves

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]How come this site has not reported on, but other sites have, the $617 million 3 year deal for the US Department of Defence to upgrade to Windows 8?...[/citation]
Probably because several millions of that deal ended in someone's bank account far, far away from the USA.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]The problem of CHANGE is not an issue. The change has to be an improvement.Was ME better than Win98? Was the GeForce 5600 worthy upgrade from the 4600? (no).[/citation]
Windows 8 offers some improvements over Windows 7, you cannot deny that, if the only issues you have are the UI then for me that is not an operational issue - I am getting better performance, more stability and security
Oh, and with 2 bits of freeware that took all of 60 seconds to DL and install i have a Start menu back as well
I support your right to moan about Windows 8, but don't presume that all moans are as shallow as the UI non-debate when there are some very real improvements that NOBODY is talking about

NewbieTechGodII

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006

I still don't understand the argument that Win8 is touch only (or that it makes using a mouse/keyboard difficult). Win8 gives the user the Win7 UI (Desktop), and a whole new touch interface. I don't have a touchscreen for my desktop and guess what?- it's running perfectly!

NewbieTechGodII

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006

I keep saying that as well, but people just love to hate. And vote people down.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]K2N hater[/nom]Probably because several millions of that deal ended in someone's bank account far, far away from the USA.[/citation]
Please clarify that statement, leaving so much unsaid gives very little credibility to it

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]NewbieTechGodII[/nom]I still don't understand the argument that Win8 is touch only (or that it makes using a mouse/keyboard difficult). Win8 gives the user the Win7 UI (Desktop), and a whole new touch interface. I don't have a touchscreen for my desktop and guess what?- it's running perfectly![/citation]
SHHHHHH, stop making rational statements, it's not approved of
You need to uze m0r3 1337 sp33k and come out with some kind of pithy soundbite because it's cool to be a hater

NewbieTechGodII

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006

OMG tell me about it! I think I've accumulated about 100 thumbs-down just on this thread alone. Obviously reason means nothing to these people.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Oh, one last thing, in case you think gamers are going to nail a coffin lid on Windows 8, it seems that Steam users are uptaking Windows 8 very quickly and the increase in percentage seems to correlate to the drop in Windows 7 64bit, seems like someone thinks it's an upgrade after all
http://thenextweb.com/apps/2013/01/05/at-the-end-of-2012-steam-users-ditch-windows-7-vista-and-xp-for-windows-8-os-x-and-ubuntu/

Status
Not open for further replies.