[SOLVED] Run Windows 10 from USB Drive on Macbook Pro

Sep 27, 2020
I have an old MBP with 128 SSD. And the free space is only a few GB left so it is unable to create a virtual machine or dual boot with Boot Camp. Is it possible to run Windows 10 Mac from en external USB drive?

Solution
I prefer making a Windows To Go USB drive this time as there is no enough space to create a new Windows VM on my Mac, which takes at lest 30GB for installation files.
"Windows" on a USB will still need a large flash drive.
You can get Windows to install and run with a 30GB space, but only if you don't do much with it.

You can look here:
Sep 27, 2020
THere (used to be / is) a way for certain Windows editions to be moved to USB (Windows-On-Go, if memory serves me correctly).

You should have some place left to install VM application, and keep data files on an external drive.

I prefer making a Windows To Go USB drive this time as there is no enough space to create a new Windows VM on my Mac, which takes at lest 30GB for installation files.

USAFRet

Titan
"Windows" on a USB will still need a large flash drive.
You can get Windows to install and run with a 30GB space, but only if you don't do much with it.

You can look here:

Reactions: leonarders
Solution
Oct 11, 2020
Last edited:
Oct 18, 2020
If you make an MBR legacy bootable copy of Windows, the computers BIOS must be able to boot to an MBR legacy version to work

Make a separate UEFI copy of Windows for systems that only boot to UEFI and keep them labelled to avoid confusion

Make sure the hardware can boot to the specific boot format you chose when making it . Also if you want to run windows from USB on mac, there are many tools can do it like rufus, wintousb and unetbootin.

Last edited: