[SOLVED] Running a PC in another room wirelessly ?

FlashGuard

Reputable
Mar 22, 2017
Hello,

I am looking for a cheap affordable way to use a PC in another room wirelessly. I have a gaming rig in one room and my girlfriends as well. She may be looking into working from home as i do. However, we both need a quiet environment to work. She cannot work in the same room as me. However, moving the PC all the time is a hassle. So i am looking for a way i can use an ethernet cord and a tv. Perhaps use a HUB for the keyboard, mouse and HDMI so whe can use her PC to work in another room. I would prefer wireless but wired is an option. i would just rather not put holes in the walls of a building i do not own. I have looked into reverse KVMs which seem to be old and only use VGA. Also, i can't afford to spend a lot of cash due to the pandemic. All we really need is a connecter for a mouse, keyboard, headset and HDMI.

Any ideas? please include a wireless and wired option if possible

Solution
No need for a laptop.

Occam's Razor.

Simply move her PC to the room she will be working in.

You do not need to put holes in the wall. Even if unsightly (subjective) just run a network cable as needed to serve her PC.

Even if you need to continually disconnect and reconnect the network cable for whatever reasons.

Or use wireless for her PC. (What make and model router do you have?)

Or consider power line adapters.

The priority being to get her a job means that subjective or cosmetic considerations should be at the bottom of possible options.

Even if inconvenient or otherwise awkward for the two of you. Hopefully just "short term" until she gets a job.

Being able to identify and execute trade-offs is an important life skill.

Ralston18

Titan
Two gaming rigs and a PC?

I am not understanding the physical environment/ situation:

What I believe you mean is that you want the share the PC with the respective gaming rig's monitor, keyboard , and mouse in whichever room the PC is located.

If you are faced with moving a PC back and forth that means you both cannot work at the same time.

Each of you will need a PC, a monitor (or TV), keyboard, mouse, and a network connection with internet access. Meaning a router somewhere.

You might be able to set up remote access to the PC from each of the gaming rigs but again only one of you can work on the PC at a time.

Can you provide more information or otherwise clarify the requirements.

Perhaps a simple sketch showing the "now" and the "required"?

Likely there are some options available - TBD depending on details.

FlashGuard

Reputable
Mar 22, 2017
Two gaming rigs and a PC?

I am not understanding the physical environment/ situation:

What I believe you mean is that you want the share the PC with the respective gaming rig's monitor, keyboard , and mouse in whichever room the PC is located.

If you are faced with moving a PC back and forth that means you both cannot work at the same time.

Each of you will need a PC, a monitor (or TV), keyboard, mouse, and a network connection with internet access. Meaning a router somewhere.

You might be able to set up remote access to the PC from each of the gaming rigs but again only one of you can work on the PC at a time.

Can you provide more information or otherwise clarify the requirements.

Perhaps a simple sketch showing the "now" and the "required"?

Likely there are some options available - TBD depending on details.

The situation is that the gf needs a job asap. so im trying to get her at mine. We both have gaming rigs in our room. However due to sound issues while on the phone we cannot both share the same room and work at the same goal.

We are trying to find a way to use just a keyboard, mouse, and TV in another room. while leaving her PC in our room. So if we can move her mouse keyboard and TV ro the other room and using something to remote in or send the signal to the pc we should be ok.

Like i said i was thinking a reverse KVM or my friend has a steam link. However, The job may require her to use their VPN which means remoting may become an issue. So im trying to find a way to allow her to use the PC from another room. As i stated putting holes in the wall is a no go and wireless would be preferred. as well as cheap since we are pretty strapped on bills.

i was considering maybe a laptop or cheap pc but i cannot find anything in our range. we do not fully know our amount left over if at all until we start paying bills.

Ralston18

Titan
No need for a laptop.

Occam's Razor.

Simply move her PC to the room she will be working in.

You do not need to put holes in the wall. Even if unsightly (subjective) just run a network cable as needed to serve her PC.

Even if you need to continually disconnect and reconnect the network cable for whatever reasons.

Or use wireless for her PC. (What make and model router do you have?)

Or consider power line adapters.

The priority being to get her a job means that subjective or cosmetic considerations should be at the bottom of possible options.

Even if inconvenient or otherwise awkward for the two of you. Hopefully just "short term" until she gets a job.

Being able to identify and execute trade-offs is an important life skill.

Solution