blanj

Reputable
Nov 10, 2016
Hi guys,

so basically, lets say i have small form factor dell optiplex 7010 machine with i7-3770 cpu and 8gb ram. In pictures i can find on internet i can see that motherboard does have a pci express slot for GPU which would be gtx 960. also i can see 24 pin motherboard power port so i dont need any switch cable for motherboard power.

so from what i learned, theoretically, if i remove that massive PSU which is prebuilt with the case and externally connect the more powerful psu(500w) leaving it outside the case and somehow manage to squeeze in the GPU, would this system run fine ignoring the fact some parts are outside the case? 😬

are there any more things/compatibility issues that would stop me from running such system? Thanks

LTiBcXQ_d.jpg

Last edited:
Solution
Shouldn't be a problem. The GTX960 takes 120W with 150W available should be good. If there is any issue there will be a power limit stencil next to the GPU slot lot 35W or 25W. If nothing then it should be the normal 75W. Many people ignore that anyway with no problems. But it's up to you. You see the thing is once you put the 6 pin PCIe cable on there the 3- 12V. wires are the same as the 8 pin PCIe. So plenty of power is there. Some of the SFF have a smaller 24pin and you might need an adapter for that.

blanj

Reputable
Nov 10, 2016
Running an ATX PSU in wall wart mode has been done. There are no low profile GPUs better then the GTX1050Ti. It's almost as fast as the 960. But if you have a way to get it in there it's your computer do what you want.
Yeah, im talking about putting a normal gpu, not a low profile. And im aware of the fact that i will have to mess with the case itself to make it happen 😂 But im asking, can there be any compatibility issues with the gpu? Are these sff pc's recognise normal gpus? Im a bit worried that if i go through all the trouble putting everything together and get this motherboard not recognising the gpu. But if there's a chance it will work then ill take it 😂

Shouldn't be a problem. The GTX960 takes 120W with 150W available should be good. If there is any issue there will be a power limit stencil next to the GPU slot lot 35W or 25W. If nothing then it should be the normal 75W. Many people ignore that anyway with no problems. But it's up to you. You see the thing is once you put the 6 pin PCIe cable on there the 3- 12V. wires are the same as the 8 pin PCIe. So plenty of power is there. Some of the SFF have a smaller 24pin and you might need an adapter for that.

Solution
If you don't mind running with the case open, you'll be fine. In fact, because you'd have a larger power supply, you could even use a beefier gpu as long as it fits. Or go crazy and use an adapter to even put the gpu outside the case.

The only problems you could run into is the motherboard and cpu cooling as they are designed based on a closed lid airflow design. That's why a lot of sff or usff boxes even say not to turn on the system without the panel installed.

blanj

Reputable
Nov 10, 2016
If you don't mind running with the case open, you'll be fine. In fact, because you'd have a larger power supply, you could even use a beefier gpu as long as it fits. Or go crazy and use an adapter to even put the gpu outside the case.

The only problems you could run into is the motherboard and cpu cooling as they are designed based on a closed lid airflow design. That's why a lot of sff or usff boxes even say not to turn on the system without the panel installed.
So far it looks like it will work 😁 does raiser ribbon cable will work? I wont go through the the trouble putting that gpu in there, i think if i keep it outside the case it will be fine

DMmmwcO_d.jpg

testsubject2575

Reputable
Dec 26, 2019
There is an Optiplex XE SFF 280W PSU. The extra 50W goes to a 24.8V. 3A.rail(75W) for a 24V. USB port for barcode scanners. You can get a Voltage regulator to drop it down to 12V. Should be enough to run a GTX 1060.
https://www.amazon.com/Optiplex-D28...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B07J5HKDCJ
I like this regulator because it has ripple spec.
https://www.amazon.com/Converter-12V-Automatic-Waterproof-Transformer/dp/B07X9XX9J8/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=voltage+regulator+12+volt&qid=1577884802&sr=8-5&th=1
You might look into doing this with an Optiplex XE anyway. It's the only Optiplex with a 4 phase VRM, and the G41 chipset can handle an X5470 Xeon swap. That's a 120W CPU. IDK if a QX9650 can be made to work or not. I tried it but might not have had the right microcode for it. 2 steppings and CPUID# on those.
If you do the 90*GPU the only way out for hot air willl be through the PSU
But maybe an E5450 3GHz Xeon makes more sense 80W with a small psu.
I'm pretty happy with my X5470 GTX1060 Opti 380 tower though.
Does the 280w PSU fit with my Dell Optiplex 760 SFF? I only have 235 watt PSU and this thing is heating up even without a graphics card.

Does the 280w PSU fit with my Dell Optiplex 760 SFF? I only have 235 watt PSU and this thing is heating up even without a graphics card.

That would fit for your Opti 760 SFF it won't help the 7010 the BTX wiring will be all wrong. I thought he had an Opti 760 also but his is newer. I posted in the wrong thread for that PSU. Got my Optiplex SFF modders mixed up. The thing is there is no Low profile GPU that needs a PCIe cable. So unless you're doing major surgery Like he is it won't do you any good. The 24V rail won't help you. The rest of it is the same I'm afraid.
Just the old Optiplex 745 SFF 275W for you

Reactions: testsubject2575
Hi guys,

so basically, lets say i have small form factor dell optiplex 7010 machine with i7-3770 cpu and 8gb ram. In pictures i can find on internet i can see that motherboard does have a pci express slot for GPU which would be gtx 960. also i can see 24 pin motherboard power port so i dont need any switch cable for motherboard power.

so from what i learned, theoretically, if i remove that massive PSU which is prebuilt with the case and externally connect the more powerful psu(500w) leaving it outside the case and somehow manage to squeeze in the GPU, would this system run fine ignoring the fact some parts are outside the case? 😬

are there any more things/compatibility issues that would stop me from running such system? Thanks

LTiBcXQ_d.jpg
Hi. First, ASUS makes a smaller ( Shorter ) GTX 960 card. Now, as for the power supply 400 watts is fine, but here is the sticker, with that card you need to have at least 20a on the +12v Rail. Anything less and you are going to have issues with gameplay. I prefer to have a little headroom there. You can get a 400w SFF PSU for dell at Newegg, but that leaves the question of where it will drive that Video card. Haven't been able to find anything on that as yet.

TRENDING THREADS