Question Rust Low FPS and GPU Usage

Feb 11, 2020
I currently have a ZOTAC RTX 2080 AMP paired with a Ryzen 7 2700 and get really low GPU usage in any setting. I always get 30 to 40 percent GPU usage in rust only, in other games my GPU usage is 100 percent, note my CPU usage is also relatively low which means it is not a CPU bottleneck.
I was talking to some people and they seem to have way worse graphics cards than me and get 144hz stable when I am running at less than 80 in any setting.
Does anyone know how to fix this, I've changed Nvidia settings, power settings, rust game files, drivers, everything.

Feb 11, 2020
Make sure V Sync is off in the game, and that there is no FPS limit setting in the game, or on any monitoring software that you may have installed.

Also try the steps in this video:
View: https://youtu.be/f1xplwfFIic
I have tried the steps on the video, and about v sync it isn't on and even if it was I don't reach near 144hz, fps cap is at 240hz so it shouldn't be that either. I have read that the rust engine is just not well optimized and that's why but I can't even play the game without it dipping below 60fps

I have tried the steps on the video, and about v sync it isn't on and even if it was I don't reach near 144hz, fps cap is at 240hz so it shouldn't be that either. I have read that the rust engine is just not well optimized and that's why but I can't even play the game without it dipping below 60fps
It indeed is the game engine's limitation, even a GTX 1060 3 GB is being bottlenecked by the Ryzen 7 2700 in this video:
View: https://youtu.be/EfyVkADcuuE

CPU need not be at 100% for it to be a bottleneck - only the GPU usage needs to be below 95-100%. This is because 100% CPU usage means all cores are maxed out, but no game will max out 16 threads fully, they will only max out 4-12 threads(depending on the game), or split the task between a few cores, making the speed of those cores a limitation. Since your GPU is also not hitting 100%, this is really a CPU bottleneck due to poor optimization of the game engine for CPU's with more cores, but lower per-core speed.

Feb 11, 2020
It indeed is the game engine's limitation, even a GTX 1060 3 GB is being bottlenecked by the Ryzen 7 2700 in this video:
View: https://youtu.be/EfyVkADcuuE

CPU need not be at 100% for it to be a bottleneck - only the GPU usage needs to be below 95-100%. This is because 100% CPU usage means all cores are maxed out, but no game will max out 16 threads fully, they will only max out 4-12 threads(depending on the game), or split the task between a few cores, making the speed of those cores a limitation. Since your GPU is also not hitting 100%, this is really a CPU bottleneck due to poor optimization of the game engine for CPU's with more cores, but lower per-core speed.
So you are saying there is nothing I can do about it, correct? I want the 2700 for the cores sense it’s good for both gaming and streaming, although rust is really badly optimized for amd systems

Feb 11, 2020
Not much to be done except overclock the CPU a little, might help get a little more FPS, but nothing major. The 2700 is a good CPU, yes, but unfortunately not for Rust.
I don't think they will ever fix this issue, the game has been out for years like come on! They probably only use an Nvidia with Intel system to optimize their game, and not Amd at all when they have already beat intel with their new processors...