aeap

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2013
Hello

I just got a XFX 580 8GB. Its a really nice card and works fine with the games I have tested it with, but most of the time it crashes.

I get static(grey with dots) and black screen flashes or simply games screen freezes while the sound its still playing.( If I manage to close the games when this happens, sometines the error fixes itself)

i tried turning off stuff like HDR and windows game bar and the card worked just fine for a while, but the crashes have come back again. The only configuration settings I´ve changed between the time the card has worked to the time it has not is the resolution. I changed when to 1080p when gaming and to 4k when watching movies or youtube.

Also worth mentioning. Games like batman arkham knight unfreeze for a couple of seconds when switching windows.

Does anyone have any solution for these sort of problems?

My specs are:
FX 6300
2X8GB hyper x (hx313c9fbk2/16)
wd BLUE 2TB 7.2K HARD DRIVE
XFX rx 580 8GB
Gigabyte GA 78LMT S2PT
PSU EVGA 600GD 80+GOLD

All parts are new for the exception of the motherboard and the processor. Also Ive updated from windows 8.1 to windows 10 when i got the card(which was the last part i got).

Also I´ve got the pc connected to a 60Hz Tv by Hdmi

Last edited:

aeap

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2013
Probably the combination of using a low end motherboard and memory with too slow a speed for that CPU.
The processor Im not sure. Ive seen some other people online with the same GPU and CPU as me. The memory maybe, the model is kind of old.

I´ve forgot to mention. Everthing worked just fine before the XFX GPU. The GPU I had before was a Radeon 6670 1GB

aeap

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2013
The only way I know to kinda test the GPU is with games. I dont know much about computers.

I just tried to play a game in windowed borderless and it seems to run for now.

edit In fact Im trying some of the games that I tried it before while it was freezing and it seems to work know. But still, Im pretty sure the next time I turn the computer the problem will come back once moe

zx128k

Reputable
The only way I know to kinda test the GPU is with games. I dont know much about computers.

I just tried to play a game in windowed borderless and it seems to run for now.

edit In fact Im trying some of the games that I tried it before while it was freezing and it seems to work know. But still, Im pretty sure the next time I turn the computer the problem will come back once moe

Is this your issue? https://community.amd.com/thread/232643

Video of the black screen issue.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/19MkrvRMPrqlF56pWq8mPjnmDGpXfwjVR/view

aeap

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2013
I´ve noticed theses problems mentioned in some threads are only with XFX.

Would anyone recommend me returning the GPU? And if I do What GPU should get instead?

Last edited:

zx128k

Reputable
I don't have access to that card, so I will have to repost what they did on the AMD forums.

From the AMD forums, https://community.amd.com/thread/232643
BUT, Today I discovered this comment on the linus forums, and so I tried it out and IT WORKED! No more blackscreen!

To recap the steps in Wattaman:

pushing the power limit up to +50%, increasing the fan RPMs and Lowering the temp target, as well as Undervolting the VRAM from 950mv to 900mv and lowering the Core voltage to 1137mv instead of 1150mv

. I played around and found that -6% on the frequency is enough to keep it stable at extremely high settings without touching any other settings. However, even at that, when it's running at a stable ~1320Mhz it's STILL slower than an RX480 running at 1280 Mhz. This is the first and last time I buy anything from XFX.

If I can keep a game under ~2.5GB of gpu memory the problem becomes very rare, above 3GB it starts happening more frequently.

Went through another RMA. So far had a whole night of gaming without any issue. Also, the -6% was enough to get WoW to be stable but it didn't help with Divinity Original Sin 2. I played divinity for 2-3 hours with no issue and have WoW sitting with maxed settings for 10-20 minutes with no issue.

I'll reply if I get the issue again, but it looks like it might have been a bad batch of cards.

Soo i went through the process of trying literally everything. I've got a laptop running a ryzen 1700x and an RX580, the laptop display was working fine while my 2k viewsonic kept intermittently black screening - I found a really simple fix:

In RADEON SETTINGS, Display - there is a setting for Color Depth - changed it from 10 bpc to 8 bpc (its only an 8bit monitor) aaaand well problem solved, hope it helps.

I would RMA if it was my card and reducing the core frequency by 6% fixes the issue sometimes. Normal clock speed is 1380Mhz for the card they are talking about. (GPU Clock True:1386MHz, Boost OC+:1405MHz ) So basically they are stating that the core is not stable.

I would try changing the color depth first from 10bpc to 8bpc and see if that helps. If it turns out that only reducing core and vRAM frequencies fixies the issue, then I would RMA.

aeap

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2013
I don't have access to that card, so I will have to repost what they did on the AMD forums.

From the AMD forums, https://community.amd.com/thread/232643

I would RMA if it was my card and reducing the core frequency by 6% fixes the issue sometimes. Normal clock speed is 1380Mhz for the card they are talking about. (GPU Clock True:1386MHz, Boost OC+:1405MHz ) So basically they are stating that the core is not stable.

I would try changing the color depth first from 10bpc to 8bpc and see if that helps. If it turns out that only reducing core and vRAM frequencies fixies the issue, then I would RMA.

Yeah tried that and didnt work.

What seems to be working at the moment (PC hasnt crashed and Ive been playing Batman AK without any problems for a couple of hours) is to change HDMI port on my TV.

Computer has been working just fine but the Pixel Format cant be changed anymore. (in HDMI port 3)

I´ve changed it HDMI ports (from 1 to 3) and the screen flickering only happens with HDMI 1. None of the Ports that Ive been using are HDMI ARC.

Would that mean the Tv or the HDMI port 1 is the problem?

zx128k

Reputable
Yeah tried that and didnt work.

What seems to be working at the moment (PC hasnt crashed and Ive been playing Batman AK without any problems for a couple of hours) is to change HDMI port on my TV.

Computer has been working just fine but the Pixel Format cant be changed anymore. (in HDMI port 3)

I´ve changed it HDMI ports (from 1 to 3) and the screen flickering only happens with HDMI 1. None of the Ports that Ive been using are HDMI ARC.

Would that mean the Tv or the HDMI port 1 is the problem?

Could be a possibility, I have had it happen to me. One HDMI port on the card was faulty. Also the HDMI cable can be unreliable. You could be using 10 bit colour with a 8 bit colour TV. This issue happened with my media player. The picture will start blanking out for awhile with my LG TV.

Last edited: