[SOLVED] Rx 580 Keeps Crashing after I start mining or play heavy games

May 4, 2022
I bought rx580 3 years back. It was running very well in games and in mining as well. But in March my Graphic Card is keep crashing while heavy gaming and mining Temps are very good at 55C to 60C. But screen goes black and system is still running and mining is also stopped.
Note: I have never changed the thermal pads and open the gpu for change the paste.
Please help much appreciated what should i do?

Solution
If i changed the thermal pads will it work well ?

Probably not, the heat is not the issue anymore, whatever damage happened was already done. You may be able to extend the life of the card by underclocking the speed a bit, even say 5% may stabilize it for at least a bit.

KyaraM

Admirable
If you are mining, it can be your VRAM overheating or simply having gone bad. Especially mining is stressing the VRAM and often destroying it, that's why nobody buys former mining cards unless they are really desperate. And it's an old card, too, probably at the end of its life. Chances are it's simply dying.

Sick Jacken

Honorable
Sep 26, 2016
Do what any AMD users should do, isn't known for now but if it also happens while mining then there's a compatibility issue. Try before this my advice.. to see if you can install the 'Pro Software" all newer amd gpu's are supported, especially RX series this being said they take heavy pride being stable, stable as a buck the chest but you can also try what I got installed which are the modded drivers by animenime or nimez whatever

Apr 20, 2022
I have a very similar sounding issue and also due to mining. It means a component is failing, though what, how, where I do not know. You give temps for GPU and Memory you may find if you look at hotspot temps, these are higher. HWinfo is a good utility for measuring this.

Reactions: KyaraM
May 4, 2022
I have a very similar sounding issue and also due to mining. It means a component is failing, though what, how, where I do not know. You give temps for GPU and Memory you may find if you look at hotspot temps, these are higher. HWinfo is a good utility for measuring this.
Highy Temps are 70C to 80 but my gpu Temps are far better than this I have searched a lot of videos on youtube everyone said 50C to 60C temps are good for GPU

May 4, 2022
If you are mining, it can be your VRAM overheating or simply having gone bad. Especially mining is stressing the VRAM and often destroying it, that's why nobody buys former mining cards unless they are really desperate. And it's an old card, too, probably at the end of its life. Chances are it's simply dying.

Thermal pads don't go bad like paste. Paste has a tendency to dry out over time affecting it's thermal conductivity.

Try lowering your memory clocks and if that doesn't work, try lowering your GPU clocks. If neither alone works, lower both.

Mining is a @#$#@%$#@ on cards longevity. It's not all about GPU temps. There are other components to consider as well. Things like voltage regulators/fans/memory chips have a limited lifespan. Electron migration due to heat slowly destroys silicon.

This is why I REFUSE to buy used GPUs.

Also don't forget the standard "Go into safe mode and use DDU to uninstall all drivers" then reinstall with the latest catalyst driver package.

Last edited:
Reactions: KyaraM
May 4, 2022
Thermal pads don't go bad like paste. Paste has a tendency to dry out over time affecting it's thermal conductivity.

Try lowering your memory clocks and if that doesn't work, try lowering your GPU clocks. If neither alone works, lower both.

Mining is a @#$#@%$#@ on cards longevity. It's not all about GPU temps. There are other components to consider as well. Things like voltage regulators/fans/memory chips have a limited lifespan. Electron migration due to heat slowly destroys silicon.

This is why I REFUSE to buy used GPUs.

Also don't forget the standard "Go into safe mode and use DDU to uninstall all drivers" then reinstall with the latest catalyst driver package.
I never changed paste also if I change the paste will it work well?

Last edited by a moderator: