Sangeeth Sivan

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2015
Hi So i did a CPU,FPU Stress test on AIDA64 Extreme, I monitored the CPU temps with AIDA64,Hwinfo and CoreTemp however they all gave very different Readings.

AIDA Max cpu temp - 74 Celsius
Coretemp - 87 celsius
Hwinfo - 84C

But the average temps across all the monitoring software was almost the same. (74 - 76) degree celsius. I am using the stock cooler.

Also my idle temps are always in the mid 40s. So my cpu doing okay ? or what should i do ?

Also when doing a stress test should i be looking at Average Temp or Max Temp?

Solution
I agree with Rogue Leader.
Your system is working like it should.
My 3700x idles from 30c to 32c according to Ryzen master, but I have an aftermarket cooler and my room temperature is 22c (72F).
And as of right now I would trust Ryzen Master and not the readings you get from other monitoring apps because they haven't been fully updated to accurately read Ryzen 3000 series CPU temperatures yet.

I just ran the Aida64 Stress Test (for a few minutes) on my 3700x/ROG Strix B450-F rig and Ryzen Master (2.02.1271) showed my temp at 75c, which according to AMD is the most accurate reading.
View: https://imgur.com/o8ZafMQ

Aida64 (6.10.5200) showed the max temperature as 71c:
View...
Stock cooler is not sufficient for that CPU no matter what anybody says. It just..........isn't.

While I normally recommend HWinfo and Core Temp, and they can still be used with Ryzen platforms if you prefer them, I would instead get my baseline readings and ensure everything is within tolerances using Ryzen master. If after that it seems that the readings from HWinfo and Core temp, and you'll NEED to use the latest versions of those, not older versions, are agreeing with Ryzen master, then from that point on you could use those instead but honestly Ryzen master is the best utility for the monitoring of CPU thermal and other sensor readings for this platform.

Also, Aida is the wrong metric for determining thermal compliance. Aida does not provide a steady state load, so readings can be anywhere across the board. Instead, you should use Prime95, either version 26.6 or the latest version WITH AVX and AVX2 disabled in the options that will be present in the pop up screen. When you disable one, the ability to disable the other will UN-gray so that you can disable it as well. See what Ryzen master shows when running that and pay attention to the EDC power limit reading in Ryzen master as well.

Sangeeth Sivan

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2015
Stock cooler is not sufficient for that CPU no matter what anybody says. It just..........isn't.

While I normally recommend HWinfo and Core Temp, and they can still be used with Ryzen platforms if you prefer them, I would instead get my baseline readings and ensure everything is within tolerances using Ryzen master. If after that it seems that the readings from HWinfo and Core temp, and you'll NEED to use the latest versions of those, not older versions, are agreeing with Ryzen master, then from that point on you could use those instead but honestly Ryzen master is the best utility for the monitoring of CPU thermal and other sensor readings for this platform.

Also, Aida is the wrong metric for determining thermal compliance. Aida does not provide a steady state load, so readings can be anywhere across the board. Instead, you should use Prime95, either version 26.6 or the latest version WITH AVX and AVX2 disabled in the options that will be present in the pop up screen. When you disable one, the ability to disable the other will UN-gray so that you can disable it as well. See what Ryzen master shows when running that and pay attention to the EDC power limit reading in Ryzen master as well.

Ok i will check with Ryzen master, which temp should i keep an eye on i mean max temp is there but its just there for a second, under 100% load the temps are somewhat between 75-76 is that okay?

In Ryzen master? All of them. If anything looks "off" or clearly isn't right such as going into the red, then that's an issue. HWinfo should be accurate when it comes to core and package temps though so if you prefer to use that while monitoring thermals when you run Prime95, that should not be a problem. I am not sure it has a reading for EDC power limit but I'm sure that's something you could find out relatively easy.

Sangeeth Sivan

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2015
In Ryzen master? All of them. If anything looks "off" or clearly isn't right such as going into the red, then that's an issue. HWinfo should be accurate when it comes to core and package temps though so if you prefer to use that while monitoring thermals when you run Prime95, that should not be a problem. I am not sure it has a reading for EDC power limit but I'm sure that's something you could find out relatively easy.
In Ryzen master when running prime95 the temps are low, However i get the PPT and EDC at 100% , as you can see here : View: https://imgur.com/a/H3PLSxQ

Sangeeth Sivan

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2015
Yes i have everything at its latest. But i have windows balanced instead of amd ryzen balanced. Also at idle the EDC is very low maybe at 3-13% only. Only under stress test it's at 100 is it a problem?

It does, because EDC is only a consideration if PBO is enabled. Kind of getting out of my comfort zone here because I have only worked on ONE Ryzen system so far, although I've worked on hundreds of systems prior to Ryzen coming along. I'm going to have to get a Ryzen platform to play around with so I can get a better feel for things. Let me bring in somebody that might be more helpful in this area.

Sangeeth Sivan

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2015
It does, because EDC is only a consideration if PBO is enabled. Kind of getting out of my comfort zone here because I have only worked on ONE Ryzen system so far, although I've worked on hundreds of systems prior to Ryzen coming along. I'm going to have to get a Ryzen platform to play around with so I can get a better feel for things. Let me bring in somebody that might be more helpful in this area.
Sure thank for everything though. Appreciate it.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Your system is operating correctly. EDC low numbers at idle is correct, EDC is related to the current provided by your VRMs, which at idle shouldn't be much, unless you're in High Performance mode. If you are running the CPU at 100% I would fully expect EDC to be at 100% that means the system is providing the max current it can at the CPU is requesting. With PBO on this goes higher but will still show at 100% as its related to what the CPU is pulling but not necessarily the capabilities of the VRMs.

Reactions: DMAN999

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
I agree with Rogue Leader.
Your system is working like it should.
My 3700x idles from 30c to 32c according to Ryzen master, but I have an aftermarket cooler and my room temperature is 22c (72F).
And as of right now I would trust Ryzen Master and not the readings you get from other monitoring apps because they haven't been fully updated to accurately read Ryzen 3000 series CPU temperatures yet.

I just ran the Aida64 Stress Test (for a few minutes) on my 3700x/ROG Strix B450-F rig and Ryzen Master (2.02.1271) showed my temp at 75c, which according to AMD is the most accurate reading.
View: https://imgur.com/o8ZafMQ

Aida64 (6.10.5200) showed the max temperature as 71c:
View: https://imgur.com/a/g5YlGPB

And HWinfo (6.12-3930) showed it going up to 78c:
View: https://imgur.com/02GYewa

As far as PPT, TDC and EDC go, yours are set to the default values so your readings are correct.
You can change those settings by using the Performance Enhancer setting in your Asus BIOS if that setting is available in your BIOS.
View: https://imgur.com/RqXGsTw

The Performance Enhancer changes PBO settings using tweaks from Asus and The Stilt based on limits for your motherboard model.
Level 2 conforms to the limits recommended by AMD (Level 2 seems to be the best choice for 24/7 use).
Mine is set at Level 2 which is why my PPT, TDC and EDC values are higher than yours.

Last edited:
Solution