Question Ryzen 5 3600 + GA ds3h b450 first boot no display... *HELP*

Feb 25, 2020
Hi guys,

I have a problem with my PC...
  • Power on, no display signal(no screen) ... but fans work and LED on the top of the case also
  • Then I need shout down on the power supply and power it on again, Boots nicely & smooth without any hitch. Shut down normally when I'm done.
The power button lights up, GPU lights come on, all fans start spinning. No beep from the mobo, pressing and holding power button again to shut off doesn't work, reset button does nothing. If I need to shut it off the only way is via the PSU switch.

configuration:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 (stock cooler)
Gigabyte DS3H B450
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16) DDR4 3200MHz C16 - CMK32GX4M2B3200C16W (XMP enabled and speed is 3200mhz and the voltage is 1,35)
MSI GTX 1660 6GB GDDR5
Nvme SanDisk 500GB (Windows 10)
Enterprise HDD 6TB
HDD 640GB
DVD-RW
Ext hdd 1x 3TB, 1x 1TB (both are USB 3.0)
Chieftec a-90

I have updated a BIOS to F50 (lastest) ), change the thermal paste, put the memory in different positions, clear CMOS...

Can you help me with this issue

Thank you in advance!

Best

Hi guys,

I have a problem with my PC...
  • Power on, no display signal(no screen) ... but fans work and LED on the top of the case also
  • Then I need shout down on the power supply and power it on again, Boots nicely & smooth without any hitch. Shut down normally when I'm done.
The power button lights up, GPU lights come on, all fans start spinning. No beep from the mobo, pressing and holding power button again to shut off doesn't work, reset button does nothing. If I need to shut it off the only way is via the PSU switch.

configuration:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 (stock cooler)
Gigabyte DS3H B450
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16) DDR4 3200MHz C16 - CMK32GX4M2B3200C16W (XMP enabled and speed is 3200mhz and the voltage is 1,35)
MSI GTX 1660 6GB GDDR5
Nvme SanDisk 500GB (Windows 10)
Enterprise HDD 6TB
HDD 640GB
DVD-RW
Ext hdd 1x 3TB, 1x 1TB (both are USB 3.0)
Chieftec a-90

I have updated a BIOS to F50 (lastest) ), change the thermal paste, put the memory in different positions, clear CMOS...

Can you help me with this issue

Thank you in advance!

Best

Hi,

First question - which version of the Chieftec a-90 psu do you have exactly as there are a few different versions? Looks like a fairly good supply at least.

You appear to have a lot of stuff plugged into that machine - I would suggest trying to remove any non-essential devices to start with and see if the machine boots.

Initially I would try removing both external drives before boot as a test. If it still doesn't boot up from cold, also try disconnecting the internal drives (i.e. DVD-RW, 640gb hdd and the 6tb drive) and see if the machine booths with just the NVME, cpu, ram and gpu installed. If this works, try adding the drives back one at a time until the problem returns.

If you are still running into problems then it's also worth trying dropping the ram to DDR4 default settings (e.g. 2400 mhz) and try again. You can also try booting with just one memory module installed....

Feb 25, 2020
Hi,

First question - which version of the Chieftec a-90 psu do you have exactly as there are a few different versions? Looks like a fairly good supply at least.

You appear to have a lot of stuff plugged into that machine - I would suggest trying to remove any non-essential devices to start with and see if the machine boots.

Initially I would try removing both external drives before boot as a test. If it still doesn't boot up from cold, also try disconnecting the internal drives (i.e. DVD-RW, 640gb hdd and the 6tb drive) and see if the machine booths with just the NVME, cpu, ram and gpu installed. If this works, try adding the drives back one at a time until the problem returns.

If you are still running into problems then it's also worth trying dropping the ram to DDR4 default settings (e.g. 2400 mhz) and try again. You can also try booting with just one memory module installed....

Sorry I forgot, I have 650W.

Previous I have an Intel i5 6600k + mbo z170k with all the same components and everything has worked perfectly, also when I have that Intel pc I have an old memory 2666mhz (32gb) and I enable XMP and set at 3600mhz and works great.

I try already everything you write and nothing. first boot no screen, but second after off at PSU switch work great :(

Should I take a new MBO with another chipset (maybe X series) for a test?

Sorry I forgot, I have 650W.

Previous I have an Intel i5 6600k + mbo z170k with all the same components and everything has worked perfectly, also when I have that Intel pc I have an old memory 2666mhz (32gb) and I enable XMP and set at 3600mhz and works great.

I try already everything you write and nothing. first boot no screen, but second after off at PSU switch work great :(

Should I take a new MBO with another chipset (maybe X series) for a test?

With regards to memory - AMD and Intel use different memory controllers so can't compare the two. Have you tried turning the memory speed down to base settings on your machine, will it then boot from cold?

You could try a different motherboard but usually b450 boards are ok.

Hi, I was load default settings and nothing...

Hi,

ok so that rules memory out as a problem - that is helpful. It's difficult to know exactly what the issue is, the fact it fails on first boot but then works sounds like something is charging up (e.g. a capacitor) and the second boot kicks it into life. Honestly it sounds like some hardware that isn't quite right....

The two most likely culprits for this kind of fault are the motherboard or a power supply - given you moved from Intel to AMD I'm guessing the motherboard is new? On that basis I would start off by trying with a different power supply (even though it's a decent unit they can fail over time if you've had it for a few years). Do you have access to another PSU you could try as a test?

If the machine does the same thing with a different supply, then it's probably a bad motherboard, as it's fairly new you may find your motherboard is still covered under manufacturers warranty..

Feb 25, 2020
Hi,

ok so that rules memory out as a problem - that is helpful. It's difficult to know exactly what the issue is, the fact it fails on first boot but then works sounds like something is charging up (e.g. a capacitor) and the second boot kicks it into life. Honestly it sounds like some hardware that isn't quite right....

The two most likely culprits for this kind of fault are the motherboard or a power supply - given you moved from Intel to AMD I'm guessing the motherboard is new? On that basis I would start off by trying with a different power supply (even though it's a decent unit they can fail over time if you've had it for a few years). Do you have access to another PSU you could try as a test?

If the machine does the same thing with a different supply, then it's probably a bad motherboard, as it's fairly new you may find your motherboard is still covered under manufacturers warranty..

MBO is brand new, another psu I don't have :( Maybe I will ask my friends but I'm not sure. Yes, MBO has a warranty.

Jun 12, 2020
Well i have ordered (Getting delivered tomorrow)

Corair 750Watt PSU
ROG Strix X570-F
RX5600XT 6GB
2X Corsair Pro 8GB

This will now take my total spending to £1,670

If this does not work i will be sending everything back complaing lol

Kind regards

Ray