[SOLVED] ryzen 5 3600 with gtx 1060 3gb version huge gpu bottleneck i think

bilakoc213

Commendable
Feb 27, 2019
so i've noticed every game i play at 1080p maxed out settings literally every game my cpu is at 10 to 20% max cpu usage gpu is at 99% that looks like to me a gpu bottleneck right? my ryzen doesn't run faster i think gpu is holding it back i also have overclocked my ryzen to 4.3 does that makes gpu bottleneck even worse?

Solution
Check your settings. If you are using hairworks or a similar post processing affect, or a DSR to bump resolution to 4k for rendering and back to 1080p for display, it's going to put a massive dent in gpu power and drive usage pretty much to maximum. Great quality picture with all the shadows and gimmicks it can possibly get, but lousy fps.

The cpu pre-renders all the frames, so it sets a hard limit for fps. The gpu either lives upto that limit or fails, depending on the detail levels, post processing and resolution.

So if the cpu can kick out 100fps, but the gpu at ultra only puts out 50fps, lowering settings can raise that up. But can't exceed the 100fps cap. That's gpu limited and most common.

If the cpu can kick out 100fps and the...

RealBeast

Titan
so i've noticed every game i play at 1080p maxed out settings literally every game my cpu is at 10 to 20% max cpu usage gpu is at 99% that looks like to me a gpu bottleneck right? my ryzen doesn't run faster i think gpu is holding it back i also have overclocked my ryzen to 4.3 does that makes gpu bottleneck even worse?
Overclocking your CPU is not going to make your GPU run faster, so don't expect any improvement. Very few games are CPU limited (think Civilization 6 with large maps). Most are GPU dependent, and the 1060 is a lower mid-range model. I have one, but not on my gaming machine. The game rig has an old GTX 1080Ti, fast in its day. :rolleyes:

bilakoc213

Commendable
Feb 27, 2019
Overclocking your CPU is not going to make your GPU run faster, so don't expect any improvement. Very few games are CPU limited (think Civilization 6 with large maps). Most are GPU dependent, and the 1060 is a lower mid-range model. I have one, but not on my gaming machine. The game rig has an old GTX 1080Ti, fast in its day. :rolleyes:
that's why i asked i wanna know if i should get my cpu back to stock to run faster because its already bottlenecking i think it makes things worse

akaikisaki

Distinguished
May 16, 2014
so i've noticed every game i play at 1080p maxed out settings literally every game my cpu is at 10 to 20% max cpu usage gpu is at 99% that looks like to me a gpu bottleneck right?

If you're not facing any lag or stuttering, then I believe that they're working fine. Bottlenecks are always there.

What I've noticed when I play games is:

1). In most of the games, my Ryzen 2700 is only being utilized between 10 to 20% overall. Also, it won't be hitting the max turbo frequency of 4.1Ghz, but sits between 1.5Ghz to 2.9Ghz. The only games in which I noticed the CPU hitting 4Ghz were Gears of War 4 and Streets of Rage 4.

2). If I disable the VSync in the games, then my GPU will be showing 99% usage all the time. if I enable VSync, then my FPS gets locked to 60, and the GPU usage will not be 99%, but will remain between 70 to 85%.

Try enabling the VSync and check whether the GPU is still hitting 99%.

PS. The GPU is the weakest component in my Build.😞

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Check your settings. If you are using hairworks or a similar post processing affect, or a DSR to bump resolution to 4k for rendering and back to 1080p for display, it's going to put a massive dent in gpu power and drive usage pretty much to maximum. Great quality picture with all the shadows and gimmicks it can possibly get, but lousy fps.

The cpu pre-renders all the frames, so it sets a hard limit for fps. The gpu either lives upto that limit or fails, depending on the detail levels, post processing and resolution.

So if the cpu can kick out 100fps, but the gpu at ultra only puts out 50fps, lowering settings can raise that up. But can't exceed the 100fps cap. That's gpu limited and most common.

If the cpu can kick out 100fps and the gpu can put 100fps on screen at ultra, lowering settings does nothing, you are already at peak fps. That's cpu limited and most common for older pc's with underpowered/low core cpus and powerful gpus.

So figuring out if you are cpu limited or gpu limited can point you in which direction you need to concentrate efforts. Seeing 10% usage cpu and 99% gpu, either could be at fault, or both.

Last edited:
Reactions: bilakoc213
Solution