[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 5600x

Jxck_KV

Prominent
Aug 1, 2021
Hi!

This is my first thread post and i'm asking a general question

I brought a CPU from Currys PC World, (Ryzen 5 5600x)

I built the PC like 10 days ago and yesterday the PC decides to completely cut out, I assumed a simple restart would do. To my own discovery it didnt.

I undone the pc totally (taking out all the peripherals) etc;. Today i find out my CPU ground pins (3 of them) were bent at a slight angle. I manage to bend them back into place using a tool. It booted back on (Relieved) but after doing some research i find out that there is a slight possibility of them snapping off completely.

I just don't know how long the CPU will last.

Thanks for reading
Jack.

Solution
this is the picture of the pins that are bent,
That looks highly repairable...

find a Pentel .5 or .7 mm mechanical pencil and remove the lead. Slip the tip over each of the bent pins and slowly bring it upright. Don't overbend and absolutely avoid bending back and forth as it may cold work the metal. That's when you risk breaking one off.

Once reasonably straight you can pass a credit card between the rows in both directions to align them nearly perfectly.

Once straight I'd not worry about them snapping off. But do examine the sockets to make sure none of them are damaged, especially in the area of the bent pins. Once you're satisfied just carefully drop the CPU in the socket with the lever all the way up. If it slides in...

Jxck_KV

Prominent
Aug 1, 2021
IMG_20210801_145954.png

That looks highly repairable...

find a Pentel .5 or .7 mm mechanical pencil and remove the lead. Slip the tip over each of the bent pins and slowly bring it upright. Don't overbend and absolutely avoid bending back and forth as it may cold work the metal. That's when you risk breaking one off.

Once reasonably straight you can pass a credit card between the rows in both directions to align them nearly perfectly.

Once straight I'd not worry about them snapping off. But do examine the sockets to make sure none of them are damaged, especially in the area of the bent pins. Once you're satisfied just carefully drop the CPU in the socket with the lever all the way up. If it slides in easily you're home free.

Solution

Jxck_KV

Prominent
Aug 1, 2021
I did manage to get the pins back straight and it booted up straight away

I was just fearing that its going to snap and then i lose out on about £250

Thanks

I did manage to get the pins back straight and it booted up straight away

I was just fearing that its going to snap and then i lose out on about £250

Thanks
No fear of that.... the way the socket works is as you close the lever it slides the plastic surface with all the holes that the pins fit into back so the pins fit into the V shaped socket contact and press them into it while supporting each pin along it's length. The effect is there's no stress placed on the pin where it attaches to the CPU bottom, which is where the bending stresses occur as you straightened it.