[SOLVED] S.M.A.R.T Status Bad, Backup and Replace - SSD

Apr 19, 2024
Few hours ago, i found my two years old unused ssd and decided to use it for a faster system, i unplug my old hdd and plugs in my newly found ssd to the pm sata slot, with a bootable usb on the back of my pc and reinstalled windows in my ssd. after reinstalling, i then turn off the pc, and plugs back my hdd on the ps sata slot and boot up my pc. everything is going normal, until i decided to install all sort of software at the same time. (gpu & mouse driver, steam, chrome, audio player, etc etc. sounds stupid, i know.) and after a while, my pc started to froze and then goes into a black screen and then, i decided to restart the pc (just as you thought things won't go even dumber, it did). that's when i got an error saying : S.M.A.R.T Status Bad, Backup and Replace. Is there any possible way, without any cost but full effort i can repair my ssd? I don't have any money to buy a new ssd, Since i am currently a student and have no income (i don't want to burden my parents by asking them for too much allowance too). so is the only choice really is to save up and wait for months again? Someone please help me soon as possible. Any help would be really much much greatly appreciated by me. Thanks.

The potato specs :
Mobo : Asus P8h61m-lx r2.0
Processor : Intel Core I5-2500
Graphics : Dell R5 240 OEM
SSD (error, currently) : V-GEN SATA III 256gb
HDD (normal, a bit.) : Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 or was it .16?? 500gb
If a more detailed specs are needed, I'll look more into it.

Last edited by a moderator:

kanewolf

Titan
Few hours ago, i found my two years old unused ssd and decided to use it for a faster system, i unplug my old hdd and plugs in my newly found ssd to the pm sata slot, with a bootable usb on the back of my pc and reinstalled windows in my ssd. after reinstalling, i then turn off the pc, and plugs back my hdd on the ps sata slot and boot up my pc. everything is going normal, until i decided to install all sort of software at the same time. (gpu & mouse driver, steam, chrome, audio player, etc etc. sounds stupid, i know.) and after a while, my pc started to froze and then goes into a black screen and then, i decided to restart the pc (just as you thought things won't go even dumber, it did). that's when i got an error saying : S.M.A.R.T Status Bad, Backup and Replace. Is there any possible way, without any cost but full effort i can repair my ssd? I don't have any money to buy a new ssd, Since i am currently a student and have no income (i don't want to burden my parents by asking them for too much allowance too). so is the only choice really is to save up and wait for months again? Someone please help me soon as possible. Any help would be really much much greatly appreciated by me. Thanks.

The potato specs :
Generally no. You can use it until it fails, just be sure you make backups of all your data to your HDD.

Reactions: Okto
Apr 19, 2024
Generally no. You can use it until it fails, just be sure you make backups of all your data to your HDD.
Oh and, another info :
The ssd shows in bios, but when i try to check from disk management, and hard disk sentinels it doesn't show. And i cannot boot up from it either. Can i reinstall windows again into it somehow and be able to use it again? (even temporarily does not matter.) At this point i don't care about my data anymore. I want to atleast know how it feels to play a game on an ssd, just once. And i think I'd be satisfied and return back to my slow hdd. Also, i have a sata to usb converter if that matters? (I know i said i don't care about my data anymore, but it doesn't hurt if there's any way to retrieve my ancient data before i wave goodbye to my ssd) Thank for the reply.

Apr 19, 2024
What ancient data?

Unless you took great pains with partitions, whatever old data was on it is gone.
ancient data refers to my old data that i don't think even matters anymore. And great pains with partitions, what do you mean by that? if that means a fix that requires me to go through intense pain, I'm ready

The potato specs :
If you did not make any changes to the hdd everything should still be there.

Unplug it and set it aside now you can play with the ssd.

TradeJack01

Commendable
Feb 19, 2022
You do not seem to care about (recovering) your data. I would throw away the SSD. Then buy a 250GB SSD or even 120GB for your OS. That should be super cheap to find. Any SSD is better than no SSD. You can buy a larger one in the future if you need for games.

Apr 19, 2024
I resolved the issue. by another reinstall. I first unplug the hdd, leaving only the ssd and my bootable usb, then boot up on the usb to format the entirety of my ssd and make new partitions (yes, this removes the data in my ssd but i couldn't care less.) Everything runs normal, for now. (This doesn't seem like a fix, and i feel like sooner or later my system will start to fail. But at the very least my ssd is now usable until i save enough money for a new one.) Thanks for the help.