bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
How accurate is the SMART tempurature sensor? My drive just got up to 66C durring a defrag, so I shut it down, but when I opened the case, while it read 66, and felt the drive, it was cool to the touch. My external temp monitor says it's 24C, but I'm sure it's a little low, but 66C?

Should I be worried? It's a new drive, less than a month old.

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
Of note, once I stoped and it cooled down (idles at 54 supposedly), I started up the defrag again and the temp didn't budge. So not sure what's going on.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
How accurate is the SMART tempurature sensor? My drive just got up to 66C durring a defrag, so I shut it down, but when I opened the case, while it read 66, and felt the drive, it was cool to the touch. My external temp monitor says it's 24C, but I'm sure it's a little low, but 66C?

Should I be worried? It's a new drive, less than a month old.

I really don't have a system that monitors HD temps.. but I kinda wonder if it is the timing of the polling it does to get the readings.

I know if I run different monitors.. MM5 and Asus Probe, the polling timing is different.

Just wonder if that is the case with the temp reading on the HD.

Perhaps you should try a test and put a fan to cool the drive while defragging, and see if it still hits 66C, or get a lower reading the 54C idle.

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
I really don't have a system that monitors HD temps.. but I kinda wonder if it is the timing of the polling it does to get the readings.

I know if I run different monitors.. MM5 and Asus Probe, the polling timing is different.

Just wonder if that is the case with the temp reading on the HD.

Perhaps you should try a test and put a fan to cool the drive while defragging, and see if it still hits 66C, or get a lower reading the 54C idle.
I have a 120MM fan mounted in front of the HD (It's actualy the case intake fan), and that droped it's idle temps by 5.

I've done the defrag again, no issues, did not budge from 54. When I start the computer from off for a while, it goes from the low 40s all the way up to 54, so I think the sensor is just off a bit, or happens to be right where the heat is.

I have a temp monitor on the case, that's what has the HD around 25C, though I should probably mount it better. but if all sides of the HD were cool to the touch, should I even be worried?

I use speedfan, which will get you HD numbers.

I'm truely befuddles by this.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
With a 120mm fan blowing air to your hd, I don't think temperature is something to worry about. It's not like your running you hd all the time like them servers do. As for the sensors, it's probably not working right and just registering inaccurate temp. If you really want to then you should get them good temps monitor to accurately measure heat coming off from the hd. But like I said, just make sure you have a good fan running in from of your hd.