qqrakka

Reputable
Oct 19, 2018
Hi everyone, I'm a bit confused on how to proceed with this,

I bought a Nitro+ RX 590 from my friend that I'd like to install into my system to replace the RX 560D I've been using for the past 5 years, but I am worried about the power requirements:
The card has a maximum power consumption of 225W, it requires one 8 pin and one 6 pin connector, the problem is that the power supply I have doesn't have these as seperate cables. Instead, it has a singular cable which has one 8 pin on one end, and two split 6+2 pin connectors on the other, sort of like daisy chained, where one of the sides is directly connected to the 8pin, while the other is connected to the 6+2pin side that's connected to the 8pin.

The power supply in question is a DeepCool DQ650M-V2L, the marking on the back of the power supply suggests not to use third party cables, yet wouldn't that mean that this singular 8 pin to dual 6+2pin would only reach a maximum of 150W? Far below the required 225W from the 8pin and 6pin seperate. I am unsure how to proceed, it seems quite weird that this PSU doesn't come with seperate 8pin and 6pin cables. It's not a problem for me to go buy a seperate 6pin cable, although I'm not sure I can get an 8pin cable seperately in my country, I searched everywhere. (North Macedonia)

Any advice on how I should proceed? Is it safe to use the single 8 into dual 6+2? If so how should I connect the cable to the PSU & Card? 8 pin into PSU the other side into the card?
Or should I purchase seperate cables to be safe?

Thank you! :)

kanewolf

Titan
Hi everyone, I'm a bit confused on how to proceed with this,

I bought a Nitro+ RX 590 from my friend that I'd like to install into my system to replace the RX 560D I've been using for the past 5 years, but I am worried about the power requirements:
The card has a maximum power consumption of 225W, it requires one 8 pin and one 6 pin connector, the problem is that the power supply I have doesn't have these as seperate cables. Instead, it has a singular cable which has one 8 pin on one end, and two split 6+2 pin connectors on the other, sort of like daisy chained, where one of the sides is directly connected to the 8pin, while the other is connected to the 6+2pin side that's connected to the 8pin.

The power supply in question is a DeepCool DQ650M-V2L, the marking on the back of the power supply suggests not to use third party cables, yet wouldn't that mean that this singular 8 pin to dual 6+2pin would only reach a maximum of 150W? Far below the required 225W from the 8pin and 6pin seperate. I am unsure how to proceed, it seems quite weird that this PSU doesn't come with seperate 8pin and 6pin cables. It's not a problem for me to go buy a seperate 6pin cable, although I'm not sure I can get an 8pin cable seperately in my country, I searched everywhere. (North Macedonia)

Any advice on how I should proceed? Is it safe to use the single 8 into dual 6+2? If so how should I connect the cable to the PSU & Card? 8 pin into PSU the other side into the card?

Thank you! :)
Your power supply is designed to support two 8 pin connectors on a single cable. It should be OK, that is how the manufacturer designed it. That daisy chain approach is not uncommon on cheaper power supplies. It is not optimal, but if the proper wire gauge is used, it should be OK.

Reactions: qqrakka
I would argue that while the cable may be rated for 300W, individual connectors are not.

Purchase separate cables to be safe.

That PSU seems pretty good, and since 6+2 is how it comes from the manufacturer I'd be very surprised if it wasn't rated for 300W. You could try contacting Deepcool to see if they can point you at a way to get another cable if you're that worried about it.

That PSU seems pretty good, and since 6+2 is how it comes from the manufacturer I'd be very surprised if it wasn't rated for 300W. You could try contacting Deepcool to see if they can point you at a way to get another cable if you're that worried about it.
it should be rated for more than 300watts, dont forget about transient power spikes, gpus doesnt max out power plugs, 225watt gpu would be drawing something like 40-50 watt from mainboard, that leaves ~180watts from pcie power plugs

qqrakka

Reputable
Oct 19, 2018
Your power supply is designed to support two 8 pin connectors on a single cable. It should be OK, that is how the manufacturer designed it. That daisy chain approach is not uncommon on cheaper power supplies. It is not optimal, but if the proper wire gauge is used, it should be OK.
Thank you for the help! I'll use the cable I have in that case.

Safe enough.
The problem comes when using both 8 pin ends which could draw 300w.
The single cable might not be sufficiently good in that instance.
Thank you for the insight, I didn't realize it was possible for a single 8pin end being fed from the PSU to draw 300W towards the other ends? Or did I misunderstand?

I would argue that while the cable may be rated for 300W, individual connectors are not.

Purchase separate cables to be safe.
Thank you for the help! Sadly, there's no way for me to check the rating on the cable, the cable itself has no markings and only has "PCIE" on the plastic bracket on one end, I'd gladly buy seperate cables but the manufacturer label on the back strictly says to not mix and match/use third party cables, after all this is the only PC I have and warranty/returns processes in my country are BRUTAL. 💀

Thank you for insight, I did send an e-mail to DeepCool support asking about the cable and why the PSU only ships with one cable like that, it would seem kind of illogical to ship a PSU with a singular cable like that when 650W is more than enough to power even some more powerful cards.

qqrakka

Reputable
Oct 19, 2018
it should be rated for more than 300watts, dont forget about transient power spikes, gpus doesnt max out power plugs, 225watt gpu would be drawing something like 40-50 watt from mainboard, that leaves ~180watts from pcie power plugs
Thank you for the insight, I did not know that the mainboard could also contribute to feeding power to the GPU if it has it's own connectors, I thought that if a GPU has it's own power connectors, the mainboard PCIE slot would be ignored for power draw and the connectors themselves would be fully prioritized.

I was referring to the expected amount of power the device would pull on a regular basis as opposed to peak spikes. While the motherboard can provide up to 75W there's really no guarantee from card to card how much that is used so you should always plan on your PSU cables being able to cover the entire TGP.

Thank you for the help! Sadly, there's no way for me to check the rating on the cable, the cable itself has no markings and only has "PCIE" on the plastic bracket on one end, I'd gladly buy seperate cables but the manufacturer label on the back strictly says to not mix and match/use third party cables, after all this is the only PC I have and warranty/returns processes in my country are BRUTAL. 💀
It's reasonable to assume the cable, at least the one that came with the PSU, can handle as much power as the connectors it provides can. So if the PSU cable has two 6+2 PCIe connectors, both of which are rated at 150W each, then it's reasonable to assume that cable can handle 300W. If the cable say came with only one 6+2 PCIe connector or a 6+2 with a 6-pin connector, then I wouldn't expect it to handle 300W.

As far as the warning from the manufacturer, that's just them basically not wanting people to get a shoddy third party cable, having it damage the PSU, then expecting it to be covered. As long as the third party is reliable and has a good reputation, I wouldn't see a problem with using them.

qqrakka

Reputable
Oct 19, 2018
It's reasonable to assume the cable, at least the one that came with the PSU, can handle as much power as the connectors it provides can. So if the PSU cable has two 6+2 PCIe connectors, both of which are rated at 150W each, then it's reasonable to assume that cable can handle 300W. If the cable say came with only one 6+2 PCIe connector or a 6+2 with a 6-pin connector, then I wouldn't expect it to handle 300W.

As far as the warning from the manufacturer, that's just them basically not wanting people to get a shoddy third party cable, having it damage the PSU, then expecting it to be covered. As long as the third party is reliable and has a good reputation, I wouldn't see a problem with using them.
I see, thank you for the information, It makes sense why the manufacturer would do that. Sadly, here, the best cables I could buy are either 6pin to 6pin ones that are €2.2 or order from AliExpress. No other online shopping platform offers products to ship here at a reasonable price due to the crazy shipping costs always being higher than the product itself. :(