Question Samsung 980 PRO only using PCIe4.0x2 instead of x4 on Dell G5 5520

Nov 8, 2022
I recently change the ssd provided with the Dell G5 5520 (core i7-12700H, DDR5) wich was a GEN 3 NVME. I migrated the S.O. using Marcium Reflect and didn´t do a clean install.
I also changed the storage mode on the bios to be AHCI/NVME instead of Raid.

CrystalDiskInfo says that the 980 pro is using 2X 4.0 lanes and that is compatible with 4X lanes. And I also know that this model is indeed compatible with 4X lanes.

Please help and thank you.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

the 980 pro is using 2X 4.0 lanes and that is compatible with 4X lanes.
The laptop does support PCIe 4.0 x4 SSD's.

What does Samsung's Magician app state? Check and see if your laptop is pending any BIOS updates. Use the service tag on Dell's support page to bring up a page specific to your laptop. If the prior OS install was with RAID enabled, you should reinstall your OS while having only the SSD you intend to install the OS on connected to your laptop, every other drive(except the USB installer) needs to be disconnected.

Reactions: AEAMMZ
Nov 8, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

the 980 pro is using 2X 4.0 lanes and that is compatible with 4X lanes.
The laptop does support PCIe 4.0 x4 SSD's.

What does Samsung's Magician app state? Check and see if your laptop is pending any BIOS updates. Use the service tag on Dell's support page to bring up a page specific to your laptop. If the prior OS install was with RAID enabled, you should reinstall your OS while having only the SSD you intend to install the OS on connected to your laptop, every other drive(except the USB installer) needs to be disconnected.

Thank you so much for replying!

I also think that doing a clean install will solve the problem, I opted for cloning the OS because I have an student Siemens NX license that requires a tedious install for validating the license with my university. But seeing that I´m not taking advantage of the full speeds of my drive is bothering me.

I will do the clean install and report if the problem has been fixed by that.