Windows 10 Home 64bit
Intel Core i7 4770k
Asus Tuf Z87 SABERTOOTH
PNY 250 GB SSD
Corsair Platinum 16GB 1600mhz Dram
Asus Dual OC RTX 2770 8GB
Corsair 500w gold plus PSU
Sama Mid Tower Case

The system had been working great until last year, when I removed all my HDD's except the primary, which is the PNY 250 GB SSD. I removed the hard drives because I was going to sell the PC to a friend of mine and I did. Before I sold the PC to him, I decided to install some of the hard drives I removed back on to the PC, as I was building my new pc and needed the drives for gaming.

I made no changes to the old build other than remove the hard drives and reinstall them a few months later. When I reinstalled the old hard drives, the pc would not detect them at all. I then unplugged the primary drive which was detected and, swapped it into every SATA port on the motherboard to test one by one and, make sure the SATA ports were working. The PC would boot into Windows Home 64bit as usual on any SATA port. Once I tried the other drives, the bios or windows, would not detect any of the drives. I went and bought 2 additional Samsung 870 Evo 1TB ssd's for my new build and used them to test the old build. I got the same results with the new SSD's. They were not detected at all by the bios or windows.

I also changed the CSM settings to UEFI and LEGACY OPROM and, LEGACY OPROM only, as well as UEFI only, and ended with the same results. I changed the SATA settings to IDE and AHCI with no change. I flashed the bios to multiple older bios from the Asus website for the motherboard and tested. Then I flashed back the latest bios and got the same result with all the different bios flashbacks, no drive detection except the PNY SSD. I purchased a PCI E dual SATA card to work around the issue. The card was detected by the motherboard and Windows 10 Home 64bit , but the card itself could not detect the drives. I did use different SATA cables as well.

I have removed the PNY drive and attempted to install windows on new drives but the system does not detect the drives , and I have also installed new drives with Windows 10 Home 64bit preinstalled and again, the system does not detect the drives. At this point, my only hope is to clone the old SSD, as It may be a digital signature issue that windows imprinted on the drive, and has corrupted the motherboard to not read other drives somehow or, corrupted the SATA controller.

Any community expertise or suggestions as to what the issue or solution to the problem may be, would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutfij

Titan
If you're on the latest BIOS version for your motherboard, I'd try and clear the CMOS and then set BIOS to UEFI, disabling FastBoot(until you get the OS installed), without Legacy support.

I have removed the PNY drive and attempted to install windows on new drives but the system does not detect the drives
Where did you source the installer for your OS? Did you recreate the installer to rule out a corruption within said installer?

As for your platform, with only the drive you intend to install the OS on, you should install the OS in an offline mode so the OS doesn't download drivers it thinks is right for your system. I'd advise installing all relevant drivers for your motherboard in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator
making sure you've also installed Intel's RST driver/app. Then hook the rest of your drives, swapping SATA cables out as well.

Model for your Corsair PSU?

I have an old system that I built in 2013.
Age of the PSU? 10 years? Perhaps you should source a donor PSU and see if that helps.

vicm1010

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2014
If you're on the latest BIOS version for your motherboard, I'd try and clear the CMOS and then set BIOS to UEFI, disabling FastBoot(until you get the OS installed), without Legacy support.
@Lutfij, Thank you for your response. I have performed clear CMOS and set Bios to UEFI without legacy support through CSM options and FastBoot disabled but the drive is not detected. I've set the drive to both GPT and MBR.

I have removed the PNY drive and attempted to install windows on new drives but the system does not detect the drives
Where did you source the installer for your OS? Did you recreate the installer to rule out a corruption within said installer?
I have used windows media creation tool for new windows 10 Home 64bit installs on multiple usb 2.0 and 3.0 drives.

Model for your Corsair PSU?

I have an old system that I built in 2013.
Age of the PSU? 10 years? Perhaps you should source a donor PSU and see if that helps.
Corsair CX500, EVGA 750 BZ, Aresgame AWG650.

I Have used all 3 working PSU's as well as new SATA cables.