[SOLVED] Sata SSD vs NVMe SSD, is there a lot of difference in performance?

ppdemo

Distinguished
May 15, 2013
as the title says I have an evo 860 500gb ssd, is it worth updating me upgrading to a nvme 500gb disk? for example the crucial p1 ssd, is there a lot of difference in speed?

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Benchmarks can show the best drives as 4-5x as fast in sequential reads and writes, but, real world differences show a second shaved off of system boot, and 1/4 second shaved off of gaming load times, which most folks will not notice anyway.

I'd probably not bother with that change specifically unless/until your existing 860EVO is getting cramped for space, and, if/when you need more space, I'd look at the amazingly priced Intel 660P at 105 for 1 TB and $195 for 2 TB, assuming your mainboard has M.2 NVME slot(s) available...

500 GB does not go as far as it once did, especially if installing several VMs or large games.
Benchmarks can show the best drives as 4-5x as fast in sequential reads and writes, but, real world differences show a second shaved off of system boot, and 1/4 second shaved off of gaming load times, which most folks will not notice anyway.

I'd probably not bother with that change specifically unless/until your existing 860EVO is getting cramped for space, and, if/when you need more space, I'd look at the amazingly priced Intel 660P at 105 for 1 TB and $195 for 2 TB, assuming your mainboard has M.2 NVME slot(s) available...

500 GB does not go as far as it once did, especially if installing several VMs or large games.

Solution