New User 337

Distinguished
May 17, 2015
My boot drive is reporting it has raw file system (instead of NTSF in Win 10 Disk Management) and will not boot. I have a spare boot drive so the machine is up but it does not have all of my most current environment. I can see all the files on the bad drive with several disk management programs and am in the process of backing them up. Earlier I tried to clone the drive to another disk just in case that might solve the issue. It did not. I have a drive I can transfer the system files to and hopefully create a bootable disk. Assuming this is the case, is there a way to copy (restore?) the files from the bad drive backup to the new bootable disk to restore my old environment? To be clear, there is no real backup. I have just copied the files from the impaired disk to a spare. Any input or suggestions are appreciated.

I have:

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz 4.00 GHz
Installed RAM 32.0 GB (31.7 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 22H2
OS build 19045.2486
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4190.0

Ralston18

Titan
"I have just copied the files from the impaired disk to a spare. "

Likely one or more files are corrupted on the impaired disk and all that happened is that those impaired files are now on the spare.

My recommendation is a clean Windows install.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/windows-10-clean-install-tutorial.3170366

Unfortunately that means a do over for the desired environment.

Anything else is likely to fail or continually have problems.

New User 337

Distinguished
May 17, 2015
Ralston18. Just scrolled up and saw your message. Thanks for the comments. I have a few more desperate things to try because setting up a new environment is going to be time consuming and painful but I may have to go there regardless.

My boot drive is reporting it has raw file system (instead of NTSF in Win 10 Disk Management) and will not boot. I have a spare boot drive so the machine is up but it does not have all of my most current environment. I can see all the files on the bad drive with several disk management programs and am in the process of backing them up. Earlier I tried to clone the drive to another disk just in case that might solve the issue. It did not. I have a drive I can transfer the system files to and hopefully create a bootable disk. Assuming this is the case, is there a way to copy (restore?) the files from the bad drive backup to the new bootable disk to restore my old environment? To be clear, there is no real backup. I have just copied the files from the impaired disk to a spare. Any input or suggestions are appreciated.

I have:

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz 4.00 GHz
Installed RAM 32.0 GB (31.7 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 22H2
OS build 19045.2486
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4190.0
Once you install windows on a new disk you should be able to copy over things like pic and docs.

Programs will need to be reinstalled.

TRENDING THREADS