[SOLVED] Screen goes black. Failing GPU?

Krypton10

Honorable
Oct 27, 2015
I have a now almost 4 year old system.
I7 4790k
Gtx 980ti
Msi z97 gaming 5
Corsair vengeance ddr3 1600 16gb
Corsair rm850
Samsung 850 evo 1tb

Lately during gaming my screen suddenly goes black. The PC is then non responsive. A mouse click returns the windows error sound. Pushing the power button does not shutdown the pc but holding it down does. While the screen is black the cpu temperature readout on the motherboard still changes so something is still happening. This doesn't happen everyday but it can happen multiple times a day.

What failure could create such a behaviour?
Thanks for any help

Last edited:
Solution
Hello!
Try increasing Fan Speed to 50% or so in MSI Afterburner and apply at windows startup by pressing the "startup" button left hand side within the program. Although your GPU temperature might be normal, for some reason increasing the fan speed fixes most problems.
Yes, Uninstall/Reinstall HID-Compliant. Also uninstall any driver that has yellow exclamation marks.
uninstall-driver-to-fix-hid-compliant-mouse-not-working.png

After that, disconnect your mouse and reconnect it, it will automatically install the driver, once it's done, right click the HID-Compliant and select Update Driver Software.
Select Browse my computer for driver software...

Krypton10

Honorable
Oct 27, 2015
It could be display driver problem. Kindly provide Event Log

Ok I looked up the event log and the problem starts with a display driver "nvlddmkm" not responding. Then the explorer hangs, Error in perfDiag Logger, and then a problem in the dwm.exe

That's where the system hangs.

What kind of driver would I have to reinstall here?
Thank you

AshMetalRaf

Reputable
Sep 19, 2018
Right, so the display driver stopped responding and has recovered which is a common issue related to Nvidia.
There are various ways to fix this issue, I will walk you through some basic instructions on how to fix it and if that didn't do the trick, we will proceed on to more advanced methods;
  1. Run Windows Update
  2. Unistall your current display drivers along with Nvidia drivers in Control Panel and reinstall latest version for Windows 10 64-bit - Windows 7 64-bit Reboot.
  3. Set Power plan to High Performance in power options section of the control panel and turn OFF PCI express setting upon changing to High performance by going to Change plan settings right hand side then Change advanced power settings. scroll down until you see PCI express>Link state power management>setting: OFF
Also are you familiar with MSI Afterburner? If so, we need to monitor the temperature whether it's affecting it or not.

Do these steps and see if that works.

Last edited:
Reactions: Krypton10

Krypton10

Honorable
Oct 27, 2015
Right, so the display driver stopped responding and has recovered which is a common issue related to Nvidia.
There are various ways to fix this issue, I will walk you through some basic instructions on how to fix it and if that didn't do the trick, we will proceed on to more advanced methods;
  1. Run Windows Update
  2. Unistall your current display drivers along with Nvidia drivers in Control Panel and reinstall latest version for Windows 10 64-bit - Windows 7 64-bit Reboot.
  3. Set Power plan to High Performance in power options section of the control panel and turn OFF PCI express setting upon changing to High performance by going to Change plan settings right hand side then Change advanced power settings. scroll down until you see PCI express>Link state power management>setting: OFF
Also are you familiar with MSI Afterburner? If so, we need to monitor the temperature whether it's affecting it or not.

Do these steps and see if that works.
hi, sorry for the late reply, I thought the problem was fixed after I did all your steps. My system didn't crash for a few days.
But now it happened again. Again that " nvlddmkm " driver not responding. But I now also get some HID driver issues with it and after restart my mouse didn't work for a minute or so.
Do you have any idea what I could do?

Btw. Gpu temps are fine and my system also crashed with that error when I was just browsing.

AshMetalRaf

Reputable
Sep 19, 2018
hi, sorry for the late reply, I thought the problem was fixed after I did all your steps. My system didn't crash for a few days.
But now it happened again. Again that " nvlddmkm " driver not responding. But I now also get some HID driver issues with it and after restart my mouse didn't work for a minute or so.
Do you have any idea what I could do?

Btw. Gpu temps are fine and my system also crashed with that error when I was just browsing.
"Was MSI Afterburner part of the fix? if so, to point out you need to have the program running when windows starts by pressing the small "Windows icon" within the program left hand side, else it wont register for some reason.
HID-Compliant I'm assuming? that's headset problem..are you using wireless/bluetooth headset?
What is your Graphics Card brand?

Reactions: Krypton10

Krypton10

Honorable
Oct 27, 2015
"Was MSI Afterburner part of the fix? if so, to point out you need to have the program running when windows starts by pressing the small "Windows icon" within the program left hand side, else it wont register for some reason.
HID-Compliant I'm assuming? that's headset problem..are you using wireless/bluetooth headset?
What is your Graphics Card brand?
Hi
What exactly am I looking for when using Afterburner? What does it show me?
I have a gigabyte gtx 980ti xtreme gaming
I do not have a wireless headset.
Is it enough to deinstall the said drivers using display driver uninstaller or would you recommend something else additional?
Thanks for your help.

AshMetalRaf

Reputable
Sep 19, 2018
Hello!
Try increasing Fan Speed to 50% or so in MSI Afterburner and apply at windows startup by pressing the "startup" button left hand side within the program. Although your GPU temperature might be normal, for some reason increasing the fan speed fixes most problems.
Yes, Uninstall/Reinstall HID-Compliant. Also uninstall any driver that has yellow exclamation marks.
uninstall-driver-to-fix-hid-compliant-mouse-not-working.png

After that, disconnect your mouse and reconnect it, it will automatically install the driver, once it's done, right click the HID-Compliant and select Update Driver Software.
Select Browse my computer for driver software
Paste the path “C:\windows\winsxs” into the box and click Next.
install-driver-and-fix-hid-compliant-mouse-not-working.png

Note: If you get a popup saying “this is an unsigned driver…”, never mind and just let Windows do its job on. But if it makes no driver install action by Windows 10, you need to download and install the HID-compliant mouse driver manually.

Just to make sure, did this problem occurred after updating Windows? If so, uninstall the patch KB4074588
Hope that fixes it.

Ash

Solution