[SOLVED] Screen goes black only when gaming

winncootMKD

Honorable
Dec 26, 2015
I have dual monitors and I have XFX RX 580 8GB. When I'm gaming, the screen that I'm gaming goes black for 2,3 seconds (it's like it shuts down and powers back on, kind of) and then gets back in the game but the second monitor stays turned on.

What could cause this? The screen is not that old and if it was the screen I assume it would turn off and on anytime, not just while gaming. The GPU I bought second-hand from a miner.

Solution
regardless of what happens you should replace the old PSU with a new better one, and plan ahead for the better GPU. Theres only 3 things that could be wrong PSU, GPU, or drivers and i would hope over 3 years you've had the card that you would have updated drivers.

Just remember when you switch out GPU's to use DDU to clean out the old drivers before installing the new ones.

winncootMKD

Honorable
Dec 26, 2015
Full system specs please, and make, model, and how old is the PSU
Ryzen 5 1600 @3.25GHz
24GB Ram @3000MHz
XFX RX 580 8GB Black Edition
MB: Gigabyte AB350M-Gaming 3
Main monitor: Asus VG278Q 144hz (Display Port)
Second Monitor: Asus VW193D (Old piece of crap)
PSU: Hantol 720W Real power, around 7 years old

My guess is the PSU cant deliver the power the card needs anymore, PSU dont last forever as their components degrade with time and usage.

I had a EVGA 650w G2 for about 5 years when one of my monitors would just turn off and the back on after a few seconds. Thought it was the monitors as i had them for a lot longer, replaced them with new ones and still had the issue. I then replaced my GTX 980 that i bought on release date with a 2080 TI and still had the same issue. I then replaced the 650w with a 750w and the problem went away. Nvidia recommended a 600w PSU for the 980 so i was close with the 650w which probably contributed to is early death.

winncootMKD

Honorable
Dec 26, 2015
My guess is the PSU cant deliver the power the card needs anymore, PSU dont last forever as their components degrade with time and usage.

I had a EVGA 650w G2 for about 5 years when one of my monitors would just turn off and the back on after a few seconds. Thought it was the monitors as i had them for a lot longer, replaced them with new ones and still had the issue. I then replaced my GTX 980 that i bought on release date with a 2080 TI and still had the same issue. I then replaced the 650w with a 750w and the problem went away. Nvidia recommended a 600w PSU for the 980 so i was close with the 650w which probably contributed to is early death.
I'm planning on getting RX 6600XT OR RX 6700 in the next 10,15 days, but as you're telling me, I should first invest in a new PSU?

I have had the GPU for almost 3 years and if I remember correctly, the problem started maybe months after that, would you still say it's the PSU doing that all these years?
It 100% only does that when under gaming load (not rendering, not exporting or anything) and only on the main screen that I'm gaming, why the second screen doesn't turn off too?

Last edited:

jaybarillo

Reputable
Feb 11, 2019
this might help you for picking a new PSU.

if you're planning on getting the rx6600xt i would suggest getting a PSU on tier A list.

Mr. Smith

BANNED
Dec 25, 2021
I think Your laptop probably does not have enough RAM or your processor is slower than the speed recommended for the game. Or your graphics card is not supported.

regardless of what happens you should replace the old PSU with a new better one, and plan ahead for the better GPU. Theres only 3 things that could be wrong PSU, GPU, or drivers and i would hope over 3 years you've had the card that you would have updated drivers.

Just remember when you switch out GPU's to use DDU to clean out the old drivers before installing the new ones.

Solution

winncootMKD

Honorable
Dec 26, 2015

The first thing that I have tried when this problem started, was to roll back drivers, used DDU too but drivers weren't the problem, and since then many driver updates have gone out.

I have just bought a new PSU, installed it and I'll test things out if it was that or not, either way I'm planning on a new GPU anytime soon

The PSU I got: BeQuiet System Power 9 CM 700W