Question Seagate 8TB One touch with HUB (USB 3.0 and UCB C) extremely slow write speeds

Jul 3, 2022
updated on: 07/07/2022

I am using a brand new Seagate 8TB One touch with HUB (USB 3.0 and UCB C) with extremely slow write speeds
I have observed extremely slow data access write speeds. I am importing and processing image files from 5 MB to about 30 MB. The speeds are very slow unlike my external Seagate 2 TB (spindle) and 1 TB (SSD).

Is this drive using a technology that makes it slow, in comparison to my 6 TB (of which I have 2).

This drive may be too slow for general use since it is so slow.

The crystal disk information is available below.
How can tell if this an SMR model?

Any insights?

reference links
Amazon description

Screenshot-2022-07-07-181245.png

Thank you and happy 4th of July!
Crystal-Disk-Info-20220704161840.png

and the report from HD Tune pro
06-July-2022-23-32.png

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2022
How many files are we talking about?
Thousands of small files (5MB) will transfer pretty slowly over a USB connection to an external HDD.

I am within 500 files
Jpeg and raw pairs

that would be 7 mb JPEG and 25 mb RAW
The process is so slow that it is taking hours to execute the transfer tasks from as card to the drive and so on ? Even transfers within the same hard disk to another folder using image organizing software

it’s attached via USB to a USB 3 drive
it appears to be a slower write speed, perhaps it’s not a good option for home use? I can’t use it in this manner — my customers need results asap — this is a complete surprise

Jul 2, 2022
I am within 500 files
Jpeg and raw pairs

that would be 7 mb JPEG and 25 mb RAW
The process is so slow that it is taking hours to execute the transfer tasks from as card to the drive and so on ? Even transfers within the same hard disk to another folder using image organizing software

it’s attached via USB to a USB 3 drive

it appears to be a slower write speed, perhaps it’s not a good option for home use? I can’t use it in this manner — my customers need results asap — this is a complete surprise
Hi Bruff!

Can you conect the disk to a sata port and post the crystaldiskmark results? And if you can run the benchmark of HDD Tune ('Benchmark' read and write, and 'file bench' with the file lenght that you are having troubles) it can reveal a bad behaviour on the unit. For HDD tune benchmark you have to post the image to see bandwith variations. If you cant overwrite the disk, post only read bench so you dont lose data!

Maybe its a faulty HDD. If its something wrong you can apply for warranty since it has almost 2 weeks of use!

Hope it helps!

Reactions: kbruff2020
Jul 3, 2022
Hi Bruff!

Can you conect the disk to a sata port and post the crystaldiskmark results? And if you can run the benchmark of HDD Tune ('Benchmark' read and write, and 'file bench' with the file lenght that you are having troubles) it can reveal a bad behaviour on the unit. For HDD tune benchmark you have to post the image to see bandwith variations. If you cant overwrite the disk, post only read bench so you dont lose data!

Maybe its a faulty HDD. If its something wrong you can apply for warranty since it has almost 2 weeks of use!

Hope it helps!

I don't have a computer with a SATA port.
What software has this feature: benchmark of HDD Tune?
Please let me know, Thank you, Kevin.

Jul 3, 2022
Directly connect it to USB 3.0 Port and send the R/W speeds. The hub might be limiting throughout. What brand is it manufactured by?

It is directly connected to the USB 3.0 port on my laptop
The brand is Seagate One Touch with Hub STLC8000400, Part number 3FWAP3-570

How do I send you: "send the R/W speeds" is there an app that you are referring to you?

Jul 2, 2022
I don't have a computer with a SATA port.
What software has this feature: benchmark of HDD Tune?
Please let me know, Thank you, Kevin.
Sorry, I typed wrong. The software is "HD Tune". With benchmark you can visualize where the disk has less throughput and the access time, its not only a value of bandwidth.
HD-Tune-interface-886x550.png

If you test it with the hdd usb case, you're not gonna know what is failing... The idea is to detect the wrong behavior of the hard drive so that you can claim the warranty.

Jul 3, 2022
Sorry, I typed wrong. The software is "HD Tune". With benchmark you can visualize where the disk has less throughput and the access time, its not only a value of bandwidth.

If you test it with the hdd usb case, you're not gonna know what is failing... The idea is to detect the wrong behavior of the hard drive so that you can claim the warranty.

Downloading HD Tune now.
I can not remove the drive from the case because it woudl void the warranty and I think there is a hardware dependence between the drive and the case usb interface. Which software function should I use HD Tune to generate a test result?

Barracuda 8TB is an SMR model:

https://www.seagate.com/au/en/internal-hard-drives/cmr-smr-list/

The USB interface appears to be limiting the drive's read throughput to around 160 MB/s. The periodic dips could be due to interference from background tasks in Windows. That said, the SMART Command Timeout attribute is reporting one instance where the drive required more than 7 seconds to respond to an I/O request.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2022

here is the report from the HD Tune pro
06-July-2022-23-32.png

Barracuda 8TB is an SMR model:

https://www.seagate.com/au/en/internal-hard-drives/cmr-smr-list/

The USB interface appears to be limiting the drive's read throughput to around 160 MB/s. The periodic dips could be due to interference from background tasks in Windows. That said, the SMART Command Timeout attribute is reporting one instance where the drive required more than 7 seconds to respond to an I/O request.

thank you

how do I know that this drive is an SMR drive?

The drive seems to get slower during extended access periods.