ST200DM008 or the TOSHIBA P300
Or maybe the ST200DM006

All are 2tb 7200 rpm. And cost wise the same

Never used a Toshiba drive before though

Im also running a 500 GB SSD as boot drive + regular games

Use case for the HDD will be mostly media storage + games + some programs

Thanks for the help

Solution
I'd frankly just pass on the spinning drives altogether if at all possible, and get a 1 TB Crucial MX500 for $100 or so...

(For less-needed bulk storage, once can often find a 4 TB WD Red or Seagate 4 TB Ironwolf for about $99-$110 or so on sale)

gamerbrehdy

Honorable
Jun 15, 2018
Bummer that your HDD died. I hope that you can still recover important data.

Anyhow, you need to look at read and write speed. I don’t know any of the mentioned drives in particular, but choose the one with the fastest read and write speed.

I'd frankly just pass on the spinning drives altogether if at all possible, and get a 1 TB Crucial MX500 for $100 or so...

(For less-needed bulk storage, once can often find a 4 TB WD Red or Seagate 4 TB Ironwolf for about $99-$110 or so on sale)

I agree I would get 1 tb ssd but if his budget is smaller and he doesnt use his pc as a workstation an hdd would be just fine.

Although if gaming or using pc as workstation, Id definately recommend the ssd for transfer speeds and load times.

You could even get a 250gb samsung 860 evo for about 70$ and then buy a 1 or 2 tb hdd for 50-60 bucks with decent read and writes.

But thats just what I would do.

Encryption+

Upstanding
Sep 26, 2019
I've used the Seagate Barracuda drives before and haven't had a problem with them. If you don't need the extra speed of an SSD or if cost is your biggest factor I think it will be fine for you. If speed is important then you may want to look into an SSD of some sort.

popatim

Titan
The P300 is a rebadged Hitachi drive.

Not anymore AFAIK.
That was part of the deal with WD buying Hitachi, that Toshiba be split off with its own manufacturing facility. Now they make their own drives and most likely using Hitachi technology. The older Hitachi made drives are now a bear to warranty. The new Toshiba doesn't cover them and you have to jump thru many hoops to get them covered under the warranty fund that was created for that purpose. They just give you a visa card to go towards any drive you want.

I have 11 of the Hitachi made drives, 9 are still in use, 1 was warrantied, and 1 needs to be.

But from what I've seen so far, the Toshiba's are still good drives, minus a few that had issues.