[SOLVED] Seagate EXOS 10TB SATA connector problems

Feb 16, 2020
I'm trying to install this drive to a Drobo 810N (NAS). The SATA connector is different from usual, and has a piece of plastic between the power & data sections, so it can't plug in to any SATA cables I have, which require a gap. What gives? Is this a new interface, and what can I do to use this drive?

Solution
the Seagate Exos series I have seen have the same SATA connection as every other SATA HD or SSD I have worked with. has always been separate data & power connectors.
if this drive series has a new version of SATA available I would imagine Seagate would've sent some kind of adapter with it or at least stated the difference in it's product specs.

post images of your drive's connectors.
the Seagate Exos series I have seen have the same SATA connection as every other SATA HD or SSD I have worked with. has always been separate data & power connectors.
if this drive series has a new version of SATA available I would imagine Seagate would've sent some kind of adapter with it or at least stated the difference in it's product specs.

post images of your drive's connectors.

Solution
Feb 16, 2020
I think I may have found the problem. The drives we received are SAS, not SATA. Although much the same internally, the interface connector is intentionally different, and not compatible. Our solution will be to return the SAS drives and get SATAs as we had planned. They appear to be the same price, so the shipping cost is our only loss.

Reactions: JohnBonhamsGhost