Question Secondary gpu as primary output.

nishaburiy

Commendable
Mar 24, 2018
So I've recently upgraded my GPU and I don't have a DVI port on it anymore. Since I can only run 144hz on my monitor through DVI, I was wondering If I could keep my old GPU in a second PCI slot just as a video output while the primary GPU does all the work. I've tried to make it work but the pc just uses the GPU I plug the display into as the primary graphics card and puts all the load on it.
1st GPU is an Rtx 2080 and the second GPU is a Gtx 770 if that helps.

Thanks!

nishaburiy

Commendable
Mar 24, 2018
Yes, this is possible, though, I am unsure of how you can do it.

Try looking for: running g-sync on amd
It should be a very similar procedure.
Could you please explain a bit more? I'm very confused about how running g-sync on amd relates to dual gpu systems. Sry xP

Quanticriver

Reputable
Jul 1, 2017
So I've recently upgraded my GPU and I don't have a DVI port on it anymore. Since I can only run 144hz on my monitor through DVI, I was wondering If I could keep my old GPU in a second PCI slot just as a video output while the primary GPU does all the work. I've tried to make it work but the pc just uses the GPU I plug the display into as the primary graphics card and puts all the load on it.
1st GPU is an Rtx 2080 and the second GPU is a Gtx 770 if that helps.

Thanks!
Try looking in your nvidia control panel, i think you can give tasks to different gpu's there

nishaburiy

Commendable
Mar 24, 2018
Try looking in your nvidia control panel, i think you can give tasks to different gpu's there
It should, but unlike every screenshot I've seen on google my Control panel is missing the "Preferred graphics processor" option. I've also tried reinstalling drivers but that also didn't work :(

Could you please explain a bit more? I'm very confused about how running g-sync on amd relates to dual gpu systems. Sry xP
It is not. Your system won't be "dual gpu" It will have a passthrough gpu, and a working gpu.
The reason I suggested you look that up, is because some people have an nvidia passthrough gpu, and an AMD working gpu just so they have g-sync support, so the procedure should be similar.

EDIT: why don't you just use
DVI to HDMI adapters

nishaburiy

Commendable
Mar 24, 2018
It is not. Your system won't be "dual gpu" It will have a passthrough gpu, and a working gpu.
The reason I suggested you look that up, is because some people have an nvidia passthrough gpu, and an AMD working gpu just so they have g-sync support, so the procedure should be similar.

EDIT: why don't you just use
DVI to HDMI adapters
Thanks, I'll look into that!
If I want to get 144hz through an adapter I'll have to buy an expensive active adapter which at that point it would just be better if I just bought a new monitor xP
Just trying this as a last solution before I go out and spend money :D

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS