Question Seperate headset sound and microphone from laptop's built in sound and microphone

SaltyGamer

Honorable
Nov 12, 2015
www.tijdvoorbier.nl
Hello there,

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad P1 (1st gen). It has a single combo jack for headphones and headsets.
When I plug in my HyperX Cloud I use an adapter that came with it to combine the audio and mic into a single 3.5mm plug (with 3 black rings).

It all works, but what's annoying is that Windows doesn't separate the laptops built in audio and mic from my headset.
So if I don't have my headset plugged it, the sound comes from the speakers. But I have to put the volume at like 60% or something to properly hear the sound.
If I then plug in my headset, the volume remains at 60%, and when I forget to turn it down it's WAY too loud. I have to put it to like 10% or something.

In Windows it just says "Realtek Audio" and "Realtek Microphone Array" if I plug in my headset or not.

Can I have my headset's audio and mic separate from my laptops built in ones? That way I don't have to plug in and out my headset every time I want to use the speakers.
Nor do I accidently blow my eardrums out when I plug in my headset.

Lutfij

Titan
First, make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your laptop(if there are any pending). You should work your way up to the latest if you have a number of them pending. The next thing to do is uninstall your audio drivers and reinstall them in an elevated command(after downloading the latest off of Lenovo's support site), i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Which version of Windows 10 are you on(assuming you're on Windows 10)?

SaltyGamer

Honorable
Nov 12, 2015
www.tijdvoorbier.nl
First, make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your laptop(if there are any pending). You should work your way up to the latest if you have a number of them pending. The next thing to do is uninstall your audio drivers and reinstall them in an elevated command(after downloading the latest off of Lenovo's support site), i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Which version of Windows 10 are you on(assuming you're on Windows 10)?

Thanks for your response. I am running Windows 10 Enterprise, version 2004. I have also installed the latest version of Lenovo Vantage, so all my firmware should be up to date.