Apr 24, 2020
I wanted to get the community's input and ideas.
Hello friends, i have built a decent rig with a Xeon E5-2640 V4 , 256 GBs DDR4 ECC, Nvme ssd , asrock x99 extreme4 mobo and an Evga 1080ti.
what's your take on the rig?
It may be best to say that the cpu and some components were free for me so lets not focus on the cost.
Just gathering opinions from other gaming addicts.

Last edited:
Solution
As I've always believed, a good workstation can also do some gaming duties. But just like a gaming system can do some workstation duties, there are compromises.

Your cpu while having lots of cores and threads (great with that memory), isn't very fast in a single thread compared to modern cpus and that hurts it quite a bit:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compar...ntel-i7-3770K-vs-Intel-i5-9600K/2752vs2vs3337

Otherwise, if you enjoy it, don't worry about specs. Being able to enjoy work and play on the same machine has its own advantages. ;)
Well, that's about 220GB RAM going to waste.
Finally a system were you can open two chrome tabs at once while playing a game. :p

It may be best to say that the cpu and some components were free for me so lets not focus on the cost.
The CPU is limited to 3Ghz max so while it will game ok enough it won't be great.
You should look into how much you could sell this system and if you could get something form that money that would be better suited for gaming.

As I've always believed, a good workstation can also do some gaming duties. But just like a gaming system can do some workstation duties, there are compromises.

Your cpu while having lots of cores and threads (great with that memory), isn't very fast in a single thread compared to modern cpus and that hurts it quite a bit:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compar...ntel-i7-3770K-vs-Intel-i5-9600K/2752vs2vs3337

Otherwise, if you enjoy it, don't worry about specs. Being able to enjoy work and play on the same machine has its own advantages. ;)

Solution
If you do want to upgrade, which I think you will most likely find the gaming experience perfectly acceptable anyway, I would consider the AMD Ryzen 9 3900X. It has 2 more cores, which is useful for the workstation side of your uses, and each core is clocked much higher than the Xeon, so it will perform better for gaming as well. If you can stand to loose 2 cores instead, the Ryzen 7 might be better, since it will perform about the same in games, if not slightly better, for a cheaper price compared to the Ryzen 9. You could also go for an enthusiast CPU Like the Ryzen 9 3950 or higher, but I dont think I would recommend it unless you are very serious about it.

All of that said, I think you will find the Xeon you have decent enough to not need an immediate upgrade, but it will hold you gaming performance back at least slightly. Try playing a game, and if your GPU usage is reaching up to 90%, you are probably fine. If it is only getting to 50-60% max, then you have a bottleneck worth looking to upgrade.

Reactions: thor.stormlord
Apr 24, 2020
Thanks for those thoughtful and kind answers my friends.i will look into the you load as you suggested. I hope the cpu will manage for some time cause saving for a cpu and a motherboard is quite an investment

Apr 24, 2020
I did look into the utilization as suggested by ttower2020. On Doom Eternal that , as i understand is not really optimized for previous Gen GPUs and favors the more current turing arch, i get 97-98% GPU util and about 20-25% cpu util. Do any of you know and can suggest an even heavier game to test with? Thanks

I did look into the utilization as suggested by ttower2020. On Doom Eternal that , as i understand is not really optimized for previous Gen GPUs and favors the more current turing arch, i get 97-98% GPU util and about 20-25% cpu util. Do any of you know and can suggest an even heavier game to test with? Thanks
Try COD warzone,it's free to play and it has a lot of problems currently on pretty beefy systems.