Sharing files/printer through router + switch

Xanager

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2007
My work set up is as such: cable modem --> wireless linksys router --> 8 port dlink gigabit switch

I have computers hardwired to the switch, but I also have some computers accessing the internet wirelessly through the router. Currently the wireless computers are not seeing the computers on the dlink switch. To make the network work initially, I designated the gateway IP on the linksys router to be 192.168.2.1. Something I read about two devices on the same subnet having the same IP (router and switch trying to have 192.168.1.1)

Am I making this too complicated, or is there an easy way to make the computers connected to the router and the switch be on the same network? Thanks for the help!

edit: few things I've thought:
Is there a way to assign the switch a static IP in the 192.168.1.xxx range? I couldn't log into a switch control panel.
Can I put the switch in the router's DMZ?
Finally, I thought about switching the order of the switch and the router and disabling NAT, but I think I would like to keep that enabled.

lyleb

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
The router LAN address could be set to 192.168.1.xxx

I do not think you switch is a managed switch so is not assigned an IP address.

Assign an IP to the router.
example: 192.168.1.250

Set the range for the router DHCP server assigned addresses.
example: 192.168.1.50->192.168.1.75

Correct any static addresses the computer have to comply with your scheme.

Restart each computer and run this command in a Command Prompt window to check the
address assigned.

ipconfig /all

All the addresses should be in the 192.168.1.xxx range.

Xanager

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2007
Thanks so much for the help. Don't know why I thought the switch had it's own IP address. Everything is working great now!