Question Should I buy another RX 480?

Oct 11, 2019
Hi all,

My specs are these: Ryzen 5 1600x | RX 480 4GB | 16GB RAM | 1 SSD 250GB | 1HDD 1TB

My main games are CS:GO (in this game I don't have problem with the FPS) and Apex Legends. And occasionally I play PUBG and story games that I don't care if I play at 60FPS.

My monitor is 144Hz, it does not have a DisplayPort input connector and AMD/Nvidia are removing the DVI port. So I have to upgrade now for still using my monitor, I have 2 options. Pay 130€ for another RX 480 and do CrossFire or pay 280€ for a Vega 56. What should I do?

Someone of you have tried playing Apex Legends using CrossFire? I search videos where people say that this is working well but I can't decide. Ofc the price is important, see the difference between both GPU's.

Thanks for your replies,

dual gpu is usually a very bad idea.
You may win synthetic fps benchmarks but gaming is better on a single good card.
dual gpu is prone to screen tearing stuttering and non support in an increasing number of games.

Do you have a 600w psu to be able to run cf rx480 or a vega 56?

Regardless, you should be able to run your monitor from a dp graphics card output using a dp to dvi output cable like this"

If your psu is suspect, the nvidia cards like the GTX1660ti will usually need some 75w less power.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I guess the question is: are you trying to get ultra-high frame rates, or trying to maintain smoothness? What is the actual goal here.

The BenQ you have doesn't have FreeSync, but, for example, the MSI monitor that @tennis2 linked to does. If using HDMI, the FreeSync range is 48-120, if using DisplayPort, it's 48-144.

It also has LFC (Low Framerate Compesnation), effectively making the low-end part of FreeSync 24Hz rather than 48.

I would strongly recommend against trying to get CrossFire going. CrossFire and SLI are dying technologies, and aren't going to be supported by game makers.

Oct 11, 2019
You may win synthetic fps benchmarks but gaming is better on a single good card.
dual gpu is prone to screen tearing stuttering and non support in an increasing number of games.

Regardless, you should be able to run your monitor from a dp graphics card output using a dp to dvi output cable like this"

If your psu is suspect, the nvidia cards like the GTX1660ti will usually need some 75w less power.

If you buy a 144Hz monitor is for using. The adapter is shit and it just brings to me 60Hz.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Oct 11, 2019
I guess the question is: are you trying to get ultra-high frame rates, or trying to maintain smoothness? What is the actual goal here.

The BenQ you have doesn't have FreeSync, but, for example, the MSI monitor that @tennis2 linked to does. If using HDMI, the FreeSync range is 48-120, if using DisplayPort, it's 48-144.

It also has LFC (Low Framerate Compesnation), effectively making the low-end part of FreeSync 24Hz rather than 48.

I would strongly recommend against trying to get CrossFire going. CrossFire and SLI are dying technologies, and aren't going to be supported by game makers.

Man, read what I am saying, Im searching to increase my FPS on Apex Legends and PUBG for playing at 144Hz. Im not stupid to buy a 144Hz monitor and use HDMI because it just brings 60 Hz. I think I should buy another RX and try the crossfire and if it does not work I will buy the Vega. If you never have tried the crossfire, dont reply here.

Im suee you didnt have tried a CrossFire/SLI because you dont know the difference between 144Hz or 60Hz

Oct 11, 2019

Nvidia fan? 1660 Ti > Vega 56? Im done, thx for your replies but im sure you dont know what you talk. Adapter from DP to DVI, ofc you will get 144Hz and you can download more Hz on Google.

Im sure all of you that say the crossfire is dead have not tried it. Im competitive player amd I want +144 FPS, I dont want buy adapters dude.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Man, read what I am saying, Im searching to increase my FPS on Apex Legends and PUBG for playing at 144Hz. Im not stupid to buy a 144Hz monitor and use HDMI because it just brings 60 Hz. I think I should buy another RX and try the crossfire and if it does not work I will buy the Vega. If you never have tried the crossfire, dont reply here.

Im suee you didnt have tried a CrossFire/SLI because you dont know the difference between 144Hz or 60Hz

Yeah, you said that AFTER I had posted. I couldn't predict what you were going to say 11 minutes in the future.

The information I posted about that specific monitor, and what refresh rates it supports for FreeSync came from AMD's own page that collects all the data of a large number of FreeSync monitors.

I don't have to try crossfire to know that numerous other people have posted their experiences with it.

Has it occurred to you that, maybe, just maybe, people are replying here to help you avoid wasting money on a solution that doesn't work? But sure, cop an attitude with people trying to actually help you, and see how that works.

Oct 11, 2019
Yeah, you said that AFTER I had posted. I couldn't predict what you were going to say 11 minutes in the future.

The information I posted about that specific monitor, and what refresh rates it supports for FreeSync came from AMD's own page that collects all the data of a large number of FreeSync monitors.

I don't have to try crossfire to know that numerous other people have posted their experiences with it.

Has it occurred to you that, maybe, just maybe, people are replying here to help you avoid wasting money on a solution that doesn't work? But sure, cop an attitude with people trying to actually help you, and see how that works.

Man, always I see people that just post their problems with crossfire but no one post a video on YouTube showing these problems. When I join on YouTube and I search a game + crossfire I find people that shows their settings and shows that their games are working better than with a single GPU.

Ofc maybe you have to create a profile of this game to work with crossfire, but I prefer wasting 30 min trying settings to waste 140€ in a vega. I have so much time to test and set the settings for crossfire, maybe the people that just post the crossfire does not work is because are newbies with a PC and they dont know how to set it. Dont say that it does not work, you can say that it need time for work.

As you have said “I dont need to try the crossfire for know that it does not work”

Tomorrow I will have the 2nd GPU and I will tell you. Im a person that prefer to try, then explain what I tried and if it works or not, because people just say “No it dont work, waste 280€ and you are fine”

You are confusing some things or you are making them up. Noone in this thread said that Crossfire does not work. ALL said that it's a bad idea though.
I wouldn't recommend a dual GPU setup.
These quotes say that using Crossfire does not guarantee support in every game, especially in the future because more and more developers do not like it.
Instead of being offended because you don't like what they said, maybe listen to learn a few things.

Crossfire will work. It won't be supported by each and every game and when it will,won't have double the performance, not even close. Sometimes the games that do support Crossfire, make things worse.
We suggest you to go with a single card because:
  1. It's always supported by all games
  2. You don't have huge screen tearing and stuttering
  3. It runs smoother
  4. it consumes less energy, so you need a smaller PSU
  5. the system runs cooler
  6. it's easier than having to fiddle the settings for so much time before you can play

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Tomorrow I will have the 2nd GPU and I will tell you. Im a person that prefer to try, then explain what I tried and if it works or not, because people just say “No it dont work, waste 280€ and you are fine”

Oh, really? Did you forget this?

So I have to upgrade now for still using my monitor, I have 2 options. Pay 130€ for another RX 480 and do CrossFire or pay 280€ for a Vega 56. What should I do?

If you are so confident with what you've seen on YouTube, then go for it, and don't ask if you should do something else if you do not want to hear an answer you disagree with.

And most certainly, DO NOT claim people have said things that they didn't say.

TRENDING THREADS