[SOLVED] Should i buy this cheap thermal grease? is it safe?

Solution
bcoz i want to use it for a month or so and then buy parts for new builds. i want the cheapest paste to save up money that's it.
so i have this https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/coolers/cpu-liquid-coolers/masterliquid-lite-120/ to make it work. i just wanted to know if it is safe to apply that paste.
There is a good old Russian saying: I'm not so rich to buy cheap stuff.

You're not really gonna go bankrupt by spending 3-5 euro or dollars on a descent thermal paste which you can also use for your new parts.

Also have you checked how much shipment and handling will cost you? You may spend more on it than if you buy a bit more expensive compound with cheaper shipment.

Is it safe? Well, buy and try it You can tell us...

allidsarebusy

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2016
bcoz i want to use it for a month or so and then buy parts for new builds. i want the cheapest paste to save up money that's it.
so i have this https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/coolers/cpu-liquid-coolers/masterliquid-lite-120/ to make it work. i just wanted to know if it is safe to apply that paste.

You're not really gonna go bankrupt by spending 3-5 euro or dollars on a descent thermal paste which you can also use for your new parts.

Also have you checked how much shipment and handling will cost you? You may spend more on it than if you buy a bit more expensive compound with cheaper shipment.

Is it safe? Well, buy and try it You can tell us later how it went ;)

Trust me, spending 5 dollars extra not gonna make any difference for your upgrades later on.

Solution

Rahat_

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2015

Trust me, spending 5 dollars extra not gonna make any difference for your upgrades later on.

Thanks 😁
I will

Just use toothpaste, that's even cheaper.

Reactions: iTRiP
There have been instances of fake paste being caustic and actually eating the surface of the processor. Get a brand, get it from a reputable retailer that doesn't have a problem with fakes, ie, not amazon, ebay, or any 'marketplace' site. The tg-7 that best buy sells has always done the job for me and you know it's the real thing buying from them.

Rahat_

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2015

umm, I changed my mind. I was better going off to this https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/coolers/thermal-grease/new-mastergel-regular/
it is better than the cheapest one since I thought about the thermal conductivity and how the thickness of the gel is, so I didn't risk this (soft pak). I've decided to go at least $5-10 and I found this affordable gel at $8 and will use it again after new upgrades.

it did a great job!!! the temp is good at idle load (32c) and max load (51~53~55c).

umm, I changed my mind. I was better going off to this https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/coolers/thermal-grease/new-mastergel-regular/
it is better than the cheapest one since I thought about the thermal conductivity and how the thickness of the gel is, so I didn't risk this (soft pak). I've decided to go at least $5-10 and I found this affordable gel at $8 and will use it again after new upgrades.

it did a great job!!! the temp is good at idle load (32c) and max load (51~53~55c).
Smart. And buying direct prevents issues with fakes too. :)

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Pc's are not cheap. Neither is your experience with one. It's like buying an expensive car and putting the absolute cheapest oil in it, regardless of whether it's the right kind of oil or not.

There's no reason to buy the most expensive, but on the flip side getting garbage paste isn't going to do you any favors or your pc.

Arctic pastes, CoolerMaster pastes, Noctua pastes are all prevalent in EurAsian markets and all much more tested, vested and approved for cpu use than Acme paste for Pc's.

Don't skimp, it's not worth the headaches in the long run. A good paste can easily last 8 years, the cheap stuff I'd not give 1 year.

Reactions: SamirD
I actually bought mine from Aliexpress, as that is the only place you could get it, at the time.
:eek: I would never buy anything branded from aliexpress as that's where a lot of the fakes originate. You may have lucked out with your purchase, but generally overseas vendors selling any type of branded product not native to that country is a fake.
Pc's are not cheap. Neither is your experience with one. It's like buying an expensive car and putting the absolute cheapest oil in it, regardless of whether it's the right kind of oil or not.

There's no reason to buy the most expensive, but on the flip side getting garbage paste isn't going to do you any favors or your pc.

Arctic pastes, CoolerMaster pastes, Noctua pastes are all prevalent in EurAsian markets and all much more tested, vested and approved for cpu use than Acme paste for Pc's.

Don't skimp, it's not worth the headaches in the long run. A good paste can easily last 8 years, the cheap stuff I'd not give 1 year.
Well said. And not only is cheaper paste not as good, it can actually not even be paste as someone on another forum found out as it was eating the ihs--turns out it was some sort of glue that was being sold as thermal paste for cpus. Yes, it was an overseas purchase because it was 'cheap'.

I bought it straight from the link Tech Yes City provided, at the time. It's a chinese brand to begin with, so it's not a fake of something else.
Ah, then that makes sense. But the problem with brands like that typically they're good just long enough to build a rep and get sales up--then they will bait and switch and close the doors and then startup as another company and rinse and repeat.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
While not a pessimist by nature, I am paranoid and biased. And most ppl are to one degree or another. Meaning I didn't adopt windows 10 until 2 days before the free upgrade year was out, and I don't buy stuff that's brand new to market.

If I've never heard of stuff before, it gets researched and if there aren't glowing current reviews about a product that's been around for a while, I'll pass.

I'm all for cheap and shopping on a budget, but there are some things where no-name brand just doesn't cut it.

Reactions: SamirD
While not a pessimist by nature, I am paranoid and biased. And most ppl are to one degree or another. Meaning I didn't adopt windows 10 until 2 days before the free upgrade year was out, and I don't buy stuff that's brand new to market.

If I've never heard of stuff before, it gets researched and if there aren't glowing current reviews about a product that's been around for a while, I'll pass.

I'm all for cheap and shopping on a budget, but there are some things where no-name brand just doesn't cut it.
I'm in the same vein when it comes to products now. It used to not be like that, but there's so many fly by night operations that just pump and dump garbage into the market and then make off like a bandit with the money that it's better to work with someone tried and true. Hence why I've moved back to buying from companies that have a 'face' aka a retail building that I can walk into if there's a serious problem.

Latest posts