[SOLVED] Should i buy wifi antenna or get mobo with one

genca

Reputable
Dec 5, 2017
Right now im building pc and i realized i dont have cable for internet, so ill need to get antenna maybe. My option is to get some motherboard that has built in wifi (like this gigabyte b660 ds3h ddr4) or to buy antenna separately.
Now i need help because i dont know which motherboard will get the job done, or should i just buy antenna. My budget for antenna would be around 50euro( if u can, use shop that ill link down there)
Im living in duplex like apartment, so pc will be on ground floor and wifi router is on 1st floor. Stairs are connecting ground and first floor so there is no obstacle between router and pc (no doors)

If you can, please use this shop to recommend me wifi antenna or motherboard with good wife

https://ipon.hu/shop/csoport/haloza.../vezeteknelkuli/14683?103=380&sortOrder=olcso

Colif

Win 11 Master
Last edited:
Solution

genca

Reputable
Dec 5, 2017
yes.

I added another link, you can get PCI cards that do similar, they might be cheaper. ther were other USB adapters but I find some don't work with windows as well, so I went at newest.
"antennae won't help if you don't have anything to attach it too " what do you mean by this? ( sorry i really dont know a thing about antennas or wifi in general)

Colif

Win 11 Master
Just buying an antennae doesn't get you wifi.

The antennae is just what catches the signal, you still need hardware on PC that you can plug it into. My PC has built in wifi, the antennae screws into an adapter on back of the PC.

Colif

Win 11 Master
this one has WIFI 6 built in - https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B660-DS3H-AX-DDR4-rev-10/sp#sp
ax was the clue

Backplate of that motherboard, the 2 gold connectors on left are for WIFI

genca

Reputable
Dec 5, 2017
So if i get the AX motherboard i dont need antenna, if i get non AX motherboard i need antenna, right?

If so, will the AX motherboard be good enough, i mean will it catch signal without any issue

Colif

Win 11 Master
if you get AX board, it comes with an antennae that you attach to the 2 gold connectors I showed here - its wires will screw on to these connectors.

If you buy the non AX board, you either need a USB adapter that comes with its own antennae, or a PCI card that also comes with an antennae. You shouldn't need to buy an antennae by itself.

You have to be very careful about your terminology.

A antenna is just a piece of wire that has a very special shape designed to use certain radio frequencies. I mean you also have a television antenna but those are very different than the antenna on a wifi.

There are no electronics in these devices they are simple just wire they do nothing by themselves.

What tends to confuse people is they see a USB wifi device and think because it has a cable it is only a antenna. There actually is a wifi electronics in the device and a internal antenna. They just do not see the antenna as separate thing so they think the whole device is a antenna.

It does not matter if you buy a "AX" board. That is just the latest form of wifi.....well there is a newer one that call wifi6e or "AXE" but I am not sure how many motherboards have that.

Almost all motherboards that have wifi built in also come with the antenna. In many cases it is a simple little stick antenna that you hook directly to the ports on the machine. They also make antenna that have longer cables so you can move the antenna away from case.

Key here is you need both the wifi adapter and the antenna. You can not just buy a $5 replacement antenna with nothing inside your machine to hook it to.

genca

Reputable
Dec 5, 2017
Oh i get it now. The AX board comes with antenna that i attach to those 2 golden connectors, after that im good to go

If i get non AX board, i need to buy this adapter asus usb ax56 wifi adapter AND antenna( in case this adapter doesnt come with atenna), right?

If so, what is better option for me to go for?