[SOLVED] should i get a 144hz monitor?

Jun 14, 2021
im asking because im playing apex with my
i5 3470
8gb ram
gtx 960
not bad, can live with that average 80 fps but should i get a 144hz monitor? some say if your fps doesnt even reach 140, its a waste of money, whats your opinion

Solution
i5 3470
8gb ram
gtx 960
not bad, can live with that average 80 fps but should i get a 144hz monitor? some say if your fps doesnt even reach 140, its a waste of money, whats your opinion
i would say go get it, because the higher the refresh rate the more responsive your interaction on the screen. I tested this by using valorant (ik the game is not pretty much optimized as csgo) and i could say that it's really worth the buy, eventho my fps never went above 144 fps while livestreaming (between 90 to 120ish) but i feel more responsive and smooth compared to my 60hz monitor.

also its what they said, it's not a waste of money IF you know what you're buying. Another benefit is when you...
i5 3470
8gb ram
gtx 960
i would say go get it, because the higher the refresh rate the more responsive your interaction on the screen. I tested this by using valorant (ik the game is not pretty much optimized as csgo) and i could say that it's really worth the buy, eventho my fps never went above 144 fps while livestreaming (between 90 to 120ish) but i feel more responsive and smooth compared to my 60hz monitor.

also its what they said, it's not a waste of money IF you know what you're buying. Another benefit is when you upgrade you Cpu, Mobo, and ram, the fps increase should be another benefit for your monitor, and it's really eye pleasing.

Solution

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
Anything is better than a 60 Hz monitor. Freesync/Gsync at 75 Hz, a 120 Hz monitor etc etc. I have a 144 Hz monitor and I can't tell the difference between 120 Hz and 144 Hz. I gamed on it for 3 years maybe. Mostly CS: Source when it came to high FPS-rate games.
Just that 60 Hz refreshrate when scrolling down a webpage is UGH! I hate it with a passion.
Now my main monitor is a Freesync 75 Hz 32 inch Philips. I don't miss 144 Hz at all.

i5 3470
8gb ram
gtx 960

Unless you're getting a lot of screen tearing with vsync off on your current setup I wouldn't bother. Your system won't push close to 144 fps in most games so not really any need for a 144hz monitor unless you're getting visible tearing.

I would suggest to go for it. Its a safe long term investment and given that 144Hz monitors are cheaper now than they were before. Technology progresses and even if you can't notice the difference from going 100Hz to 144Hz, every frame increase gives you that added edge in gaming, especially with FPS games.

Just remember you need to run the game/application in full screen mode to be able to fully maximize your frames to 144 FPS, otherwise if run at windowed mode it will go down to 60 Hz. You also need to change the refresh rate in Windows.

What is the make/model of the monitor you are considering?
What do you have now?
Do you primarily play fast action games?
At what resolution?
What is your budget?

I always support buying the best monitor you can afford.
It is a long term investment.
My primary focus would first be on size, resolution, and image quality.
For fast action, then a faster panel is good.