casonk17

Commendable
Sep 16, 2018
My current specs are Rx 590 Fatboy, i5 8400, 1x8 Ram (2666) (2x8 3000 coming soon in the mail) not sure on my motherboard type as I bought this in a prebuilt alienware Aurora and same with power supply. The only thing I have changed from factory is the Rx 590 fatboy from the rx 560 (not very bright, I know). I see benchmarks of people running rx 590 with i5 8400 at 1440p 60 fps, but I average around 20 fps 1080p on PUBG... I Don't know if it is because it is 2 years old or what. The upgrade I am thinking of it replacing my i5 8400 with a ryzen 7 3700X. Would that be the best thing for me to do? I would get the tomahawk b450 max mobo probably.

Solution
I wouldn't upgrade until you figure out why your benchmarks are so low. The 590 at 1080 shouldn't hit 20FPS in any game. Look at temps and clock speeds for the CPU and GPU and figure out what isn't where it should be.

I agree. I would also start by learning why you're getting such low frames before upgrading.

Although if we were to talk purely about what to upgrade; I would personally only upgrade the GPU for now if you're not streaming.

Also note that some B450 require BIOS updates to be compatible with 3rd Gen Ryzen. Also, if you're planning on getting a 3700X, you might want to opt for a X470 with better VRM. A good CPU deserves a good Motherboard IMO (some may also need a BIOS update).

Let us know when you've run your...
I wouldn't upgrade until you figure out why your benchmarks are so low. The 590 at 1080 shouldn't hit 20FPS in any game. Look at temps and clock speeds for the CPU and GPU and figure out what isn't where it should be.

I agree. I would also start by learning why you're getting such low frames before upgrading.

Although if we were to talk purely about what to upgrade; I would personally only upgrade the GPU for now if you're not streaming.

Also note that some B450 require BIOS updates to be compatible with 3rd Gen Ryzen. Also, if you're planning on getting a 3700X, you might want to opt for a X470 with better VRM. A good CPU deserves a good Motherboard IMO (some may also need a BIOS update).

Let us know when you've run your tests.

Solution

casonk17

Commendable
Sep 16, 2018

Let us know when you've run your tests.
Thanks for the info. I just wanted to say that my ram came in and it worked miracles on everything. Now most games are pretty buttery smooth. Guess Dell really cheaped out on that 1x8 2666Mhz