SeriousGaming101

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2016
Hello all,

I recently installed my RTX 2080 Ti Gigabyte Gaming OC Edition.

The temps at max load were 80'C+ and ran hotter than my old RTX 2080 8GB at max load.

I have heard people using aquarium chillers to cool their RTX 2080 Ti to around 20'C (way below room temperature).

Is this a good idea? I know that there are DIY custom water loops with radiators/pumps but it sounds like an aquarium chiller is the best way to get the lowest temperature for the GPU.

I can even connect the Aquarium Chiller water tubes to the CPU + GPU so both can have around 20'C temps (For my 9900k + 2080 Ti)

Thoughts?

It's probably not a good idea to chill components to below ambient temperature for extended lengths of time, as condensation will likely form on them. That's more likely to cause hardware to fail than temperatures around 80 degrees.

If you want to reduce temperatures, it's probably worth first trying to adjust fan profiles, and maybe improve your case's airflow.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
What's good for 'Show PC's' like aquarium chillers, pastel liquid cooling, peltier or even mineral oil setups generally isn't good for a long term, mainstream pc. To get an aquarium chiller to work right and not screw up the chiller or gpu, will require fishtank with appropriate volume of water, such as 10 gallons. It might work in the short term with less, but those chillers are designed for small temp change differences and light loads, not huge differentials when a gpu dumps that amount of energy into too small a volume.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I have heard people using aquarium chillers to cool their RTX 2080 Ti to around 20'C (way below room temperature).

Is this a good idea? I know that there are DIY custom water loops with radiators/pumps but it sounds like an aquarium chiller is the best way to get the lowest temperature for the GPU.

Far better off just using normal watercooling rather than something that elaborate.

Why do you feel an aquarium chiller is necessary for your build?

There are probably some other steps you can take before going full DIY exotic cooling. Good case airflow? good case fans? fan curves?
Or if you do want to water cool, you should try water cooling with normal parts and see where your temps are.

Although if youre going to do it, make sure you upload pics and results somewhere lol

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I'm not saying it is a wrong approach, but as someone who has watercooled for nearly 17 years, an aquarium chiller is something I've considered but have stuck with watercooling simply because I don't want to have to move an elaborate, multi-component PC, even if it is re-arranging my office. Besides, there are other methods to get sub-ambient watercooling without buying an expensive chiller like this - one method is a window A/C unit that is converted to have the evaporator coils submerged in glycol coolant which would then be pumped through the loop. This is what I use to control fermentation for my beer brewing.

j295FIV.jpg

wKlaqcq.jpg