ggryk

Honorable
Nov 13, 2015
Hey guys,

I have a general question regarding the timing of upgrading my pc.

Although I know that there are no "right time" to upgrade a pc and many people would tell you to stick what you have right now, with the release of Ryzen 5950x and Radeon rx6800xt coming around the corner, I was considering building a new pc.
However, the biggest concerns that I have right now is that there would be a huge change in the platform, which would be coming around early 2022. (AM5 socket, DDR5...etc. Only about a year of wait.)
And when I'm building a PC, I will mostly be making a high-end build. (which I would expect to cost around $3000)
So, if I'm making a decision, I would like to make it at the right time. (although I would be able to afford a $3000 PC, I'm no rich kid and I'm also going through uni right now.)
And in addition, with next-gen consoles being released, I was also thinking that I would be able to get a PS5 or something if I'm sorely seeking to upgrade my PC for the gaming.

Anyways, the current pc that I own consists from a 980ti and a 6700k,(about 5 years old.) and I don't don't really have so much problem with running most of my stuff since I have a nvme m.2.(I sometimes spot a instability here and there, but no big issues I guess.)
Also, I consider my self a "light gamer," and I mostly use my PC for CS, Autodesk, trading, and other gpu intensive programs. (I spent a LOT of time on my PC, trust me.)

...I know that ddr5 will not going to be available at launch (mostly going to be stupidly expensive), and I will most likely not going to need a usb 4.0, however,
I am more interested in the performance difference that the next-gen processors (6950x? rx7800xt? on X670?) might be able to offer with the next-gen platform, and if it expected to have a much significant performance jump(than the current one), I don't mind waiting a year or so.

As of now, if I'd upgrade my pc(5950x rx6800xt), it seems I would get 3x performance of whatever I have right now.
But honestly, with all of the scalping that is going on, I am very discouraged of buying a new pc...

I just want to hear other people's opinions on it, and the outlook on the near future of pc components(if anyone could take a guess...)

Thanks a lot.

Solution
The wait never ends. When they release the new AM5, then they'll be leaks about AM6 coming out in 2022/2023 etc..

Given that AM4 came out in late 2016, and Ryzen was released in early 2017, your claim is unfounded. It's been 4 years since.

It supported the A-series Bristol Ridge, as well as Zen, Zen+, Zen2, and Zen3. Even if AM5 only supports, say 3 generations, that's still better than "a new socket within a year." I don't think even Intel, notorious for requiring new motherboards frequently, doesn't release a new socket every year.
Nov 11, 2020
What i do when im not sure about what products i want to buy is fiddle around with benchmarks, watching YouTube videos, and trying out building a bunch of different systems with different parts to see what system my money could get me. (USE PC PARTPICKER)

Nov 11, 2020
It really just all depends on your situation and how bad you want to build. There's always going to be new stuff being released, and you parts will become obsolete at some point.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I'm holding off until AM5. My gaming rig is doing fine for the light gaming that I'm doing now. I am tempted to get something soon, and the 5000-series Ryzen is tempting, but I don't need to just yet.

I'm planning to hold out for AM5. If your current system is doing fine for you right now, and isn't falling short for your needs, I'd say hold out.

ggryk

Honorable
Nov 13, 2015
I'm holding off until AM5. My gaming rig is doing fine for the light gaming that I'm doing now. I am tempted to get something soon, and the 5000-series Ryzen is tempting, but I don't need to just yet.

I'm planning to hold out for AM5. If your current system is doing fine for you right now, and isn't falling short for your needs, I'd say hold out.

haha, I'd agree that it's VERY tempting.(more tempting that I have some unused parts laying around which I could use to build a new PC.)
Some say that AM5 is coming out late 2021, might as well save some money in that case.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
haha, I'd agree that it's VERY tempting.(more tempting that I have some unused parts laying around which I could use to build a new PC.)
Some say that AM5 is coming out late 2021, might as well save some money in that case.
Pretty much what my plan is... And trying to make sure I have the willpower to fight off the temptation!

But, I want the new socket, and the DDR5 support, so, I'll wait.

Enigmatic Squid

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2007
The wait never ends. When they release the new AM5, then they'll be leaks about AM6 coming out in 2022/2023 etc.. It never ends. I've been putting off building a computer for the past 2 years because of this, but now it's so old I need to. I even pushed it back until now because of the new AMD 5950 and latest video cards from Nvidia/AMD. Right now is the perfect time to build a new computer if you need to, because all the latest top end parts just dropped! You're looking at another full year or more until they refresh again, so keep that in mind. If you're happy with your current setup though and it will play everything you need for the next years worth of releases, then by all means hold off!

Cheers.

Hey guys,

I have a general question regarding the timing of upgrading my pc.

Although I know that there are no "right time" to upgrade a pc and many people would tell you to stick what you have right now, with the release of Ryzen 5950x and Radeon rx6800xt coming around the corner, I was considering building a new pc.
However, the biggest concerns that I have right now is that there would be a huge change in the platform, which would be coming around early 2022. (AM5 socket, DDR5...etc. Only about a year of wait.)
And when I'm building a PC, I will mostly be making a high-end build. (which I would expect to cost around $3000)
So, if I'm making a decision, I would like to make it at the right time. (although I would be able to afford a $3000 PC, I'm no rich kid and I'm also going through uni right now.)
And in addition, with next-gen consoles being released, I was also thinking that I would be able to get a PS5 or something if I'm sorely seeking to upgrade my PC for the gaming.

Anyways, the current pc that I own consists from a 980ti and a 6700k,(about 5 years old.) and I don't don't really have so much problem with running most of my stuff since I have a nvme m.2.(I sometimes spot a instability here and there, but no big issues I guess.)
Also, I consider my self a "light gamer," and I mostly use my PC for CS, Autodesk, trading, and other gpu intensive programs. (I spent a LOT of time on my PC, trust me.)

...I know that ddr5 will not going to be available at launch (mostly going to be stupidly expensive), and I will most likely not going to need a usb 4.0, however,
I am more interested in the performance difference that the next-gen processors (6950x? rx7800xt? on X670?) might be able to offer with the next-gen platform, and if it expected to have a much significant performance jump(than the current one), I don't mind waiting a year or so.

As of now, if I'd upgrade my pc(5950x rx6800xt), it seems I would get 3x performance of whatever I have right now.
But honestly, with all of the scalping that is going on, I am very discouraged of buying a new pc...

I just want to hear other people's opinions on it, and the outlook on the near future of pc components(if anyone could take a guess...)

Thanks a lot.
I think I would wait with a 6700k as it is still a pretty good chip

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
The wait never ends. When they release the new AM5, then they'll be leaks about AM6 coming out in 2022/2023 etc..

Given that AM4 came out in late 2016, and Ryzen was released in early 2017, your claim is unfounded. It's been 4 years since.

It supported the A-series Bristol Ridge, as well as Zen, Zen+, Zen2, and Zen3. Even if AM5 only supports, say 3 generations, that's still better than "a new socket within a year." I don't think even Intel, notorious for requiring new motherboards frequently, doesn't release a new socket every year.

Solution