Show off your newest system upgrade components here!

Page 24 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Spanky460

Honorable
Jan 26, 2013

Thank you! i know my response is a bit late haha but you know life and my brain forgets things haha

sliturnek

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
Before
asus strix z370e in obsidian 900D
1111554860462479337%253Faccount_id%253D2

After
z390 taichi, 8700K, 32GB Dominator platinum, MSI Seahawk GTX 1080 in a PC011D
5653126943509989708%253Faccount_id%253D2

7854462932989852371%253Faccount_id%253D2

Reactions: davew1860

Whoa........and double Whoa....what a system. Looks fantastic and I like the way you have done the runs so that you have access to the RAM. Quick question on the Z390 Taichi, how is it handling an overclock on the 8700K?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Looks really good. Not a fan of the orange fans, personally - but to each their own.

Planning on picking up some sleeved PSU cables? Or extensions?
The stock PSU cables stand out a little bit. Not a huge issue, but for suck a nice looking build... probably not a bad idea?

sliturnek

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
@vMax OC on the 8700k seems stable so far. I havent really stressed it yet but shes running at 4.7 for the last few days with my coworkers kids playing fortnite nearly 24x7 on it.

@Barty1884 yes I will be getting extensions for the PSU cables here at some point. I also need to order some UV LED strips. If you notice the original build I went all black and orange so I bought cougar fans to match the fluid. Orange is a bad choice for fluid though... Those fans replaced Corsair hydro bearing fans that i will never buy again. I felt the same way TBH, I should have ordered LED fans that i could color match with the build but live and learn i suppose. The last build was only 6mo ago and the computer turned on about a dozen times for 30min intervals. I couldn't justify replacing all the fans again. there wasn't a spec of dust on any of them.

What fans were those? I have the HD series which can be quiet, I just have them running higher. For sound I would go with the ML more than anything else.

sliturnek

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007

I had 20x SP120 in push pull on 1x 480 and 2x 360 rads in the 900D. the computer was on almost always. I never turned it off. Until i saw my power bill XD the fans were obnoxiously loud but the system stayed cool nevertheless. 5 fans on the 480 were seized, 3 fans on 1 of the 360's were seized and 2 on the other 360 were seized. thats a whole lot of fans that just quit. Some of them that seized started knocking and i realized that the spindle actually separated from the motor and the fan blades on a constant tilted axis smacking the case. This was the strangest occurrence i have ever had with fans so i will not be going back to corsair fans any time soon. Too many failed.

Odd. I have never had that many die at once. One or two maybe but that many is very odd. I had the stock h100 fans for a long time. Switched to 2 ML120s for a quieter fan and the HD120s have been great so far.

sliturnek

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
i chalk it up to a bad run. no way does that many fail all at once. I still have lian li case fans from almost 20 years ago that still power on and work perfectly fine. Still not going corsair route again though.

Wolfshadw

Titan
I should probably upgrade my phone's camera next, but...

CZAKRHx.jpg

Lenovo Explorer Windows Mixed Reality Headset
AMD Ryzen 5 2600
MSI B450-A Pro
G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4-3200 2x8GB
Samsung EVO 860 500GB SATA III SSD
Seasonic Focus 550FX Modular
MSI Radeon RX560

Been working this up over the last couple of months. It's a long overdue upgrade from my old system:

Intel Core I5-760
Gigabyte GA-H55M-S2V
G.Skill 2x4GB DDR3 1333
Antec Earthwatts EA-650
EVGA Geforce 8800GTS-640

-Wolf sends

D

Deleted member 217926

That's a nice step up man! 1TB SSDs are hovering at the $100-$130 mark and expected to drop further. Be a nice drop in for the new system. ;)

Wolfshadw

Titan

Thanks man!

I still have my 1TB HDD from my old set up to act as primary storage. If I upgrade anything in the near future, it will likely be the graphics card and the main display.

I got the RX560 just to get a taste of VR and I'm liking what I've found so far. As a personal rule, however, I will not spend more than $300 on any given computer component, so I'm considering an RX580 and perhaps a 30" 2K display.

-Wolf sends

D

Deleted member 217926

I fail spectacularly at reading and missed this line from your build:

Samsung EVO 860 500GB SATA III SSD

It's even in the freakin picture. :lol:

Oh well. Yeah I wouldn't have recommended an SSD at all if I'd seen that.

Wolfshadw

Titan
So I got an early Christmas present from my Dad. He's covering my $1700 truck repair and as my present, I don't have to pay him back. So the $800 I had saved up as a first payment is mine again. Well, most of it, anyway... Newegg has a GTX1060 6GB Single Fan ACX 2.0 for $209 after $20 MIR. I had to jump.

Figure I can sell my 3 month old RX-560 for about $75 and I'll be a happy camper!

-Wolf sends

Good job....Happy to swap dad's with you....

Wolfshadw

Titan

Nah... I've been working with this one for five plus decades. I think I'll keep him! :D

-Wolf sends

Same here.....my God 5 decades, how fast it has gone and I even remember my first computer the BBC Micro Model B...boy did I pull a fast one on my Mom and Dad to get that!!!

D

Deleted member 217926

Nice man.

LG, 32" 144hz 1440p VA for $299. :D

https://slickdeals.net/f/12324778-32-lg-32gk650f-b-2560x1440-wqhd-freesync-gaming-led-monitor-299-free-shipping

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Just upgraded my PC case to the Fractal Design Meshify C.
Got it for $50.

Going to be picking up three Cooler Master - Master Fan Pro RGB fans tomorrow brand new for $30 and will be replacing the rear fan and the top fan.

Gotta say, feels good to get nice stuff for cheap. :D

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador

I said I was going to get some tomorrow.
Don't have them yet.

The two fans I have in the case are the ones that come with it from FD.
And the other two on my AiO are stock ones that came with it from NZXT.

Once I get the fans and install them and sync them up with my AURA motherboard then find a matching color with CAM on the cooler, I'll post another picture for the update.

After that it's a matter of saving up for high quality RGB fans like some maglev RGB fans to put on my AiO so that you can see some glow action from behind the front mesh panel.

But that won't happen till I get the money which will take a month or two.

These are the fans I'm going to get for my AiO when I save up the money.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181136

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador

When it comes to RGB fans, those are the best bang for buck for sure.
And in fact, I was going to buy them online because they are currently $15 a piece in the US, but then I found the local listing post for a three pack brand new for $30, it was a no brainer to get it to save money.

In terms of straight performance though, there are better fans, hence why I'm going with the ML140's for my AiO.
Could just get the non RGB models for cheaper, but what's the point in that right? lol.