Show off your newest system upgrade components here!

Page 27 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

g-unit1111

Titan

My main rig I want to convert to all SSD so at some point I will be getting 1 (hopefully 2) an 860 Evo to replace the 1TB mass storage drive on that PC. And then my older Corsair Neutron I will use to replace my scratch drive.

But right now for me getting a new GPU is a higher priority.

That's what I did with all 3 of mine, got rid of all the mechanical HD's. :)

For now, especially with costs. Although it annoys me because they could easily eclipse 3.5" HDD sizes with SSDs. Seagate had a 60TB 3.5" SSD. A single 3.5" drive with 60TB of storage. That is insane.

g-unit1111

Titan

The only bad thing is anything above 1TB for SSDs is crazy expensive. I'm hoping that changes in the next year or so.

I know, they will come down I suppose.

I have the 2x 1 TB 860's in the two gaming machines.

500 GB 860 for storage and odds and ends in one gaming machine.

500 GB and 250GB 860's in the workstation.

M.2 970 and 960 EVO 250 GB as the main drives in the gaming machines.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador

I'd already gotten a pair of 500GB units, but man, in the December-ish timeframe, when the Crucial MX500 2TB 2.5 SATA went for $208, I was SORELY tempted to snag one.

Didn't need it, but really wanted to get it!

D

Deleted member 217926

I just moved my desktop to all SSD. Added the 860 Evo and MX500 after getting them for $128 each in recent sales. Replaced an old WD 640GB Black HDD with the two 1TB SSDs.

Fjy67PB.png

Eg4lASt.png

The 840 Evo is on my secondary SATA controller since with the 950 Pro in use my Z170 board is limited to 2 chipset controlled SATA ports. It takes a little performance hit as a result.

Reactions: davew1860
D

Deleted member 217926

And I'm done with the PC for the year. Got the storage done and now I got a graphics upgrade.

4Iuknz9.jpg

WjOdVON.jpg

Little performance boost. :)

Old 980 Ti.

EFQSqHA.png

New RTX 2070.

LGrgUoY.png

Both stock.

Reactions: davew1860
D

Deleted member 217926

Maybe next year I'll move to a better CPU. As is, at 1440p 60hz with no desire for a monitor upgrade anytime soon I'm all good.

g-unit1111

Titan
So I had an Amazon gift card from Christmas to burn and I decided to finally replace my older Corsair keyboard with this bad boy:

20190205_120603.jpg

20190205_121001.jpg

It's very nice so far. I really like the layout and it's very easy to type on and the keys are easily spaced out enough that I don't accidentally hit buttons I don't need to. My only complaint so far is that the controller software needs a lot of improvement.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator

SWEET!

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah I don't have much left to buy but in order I'm going to try and get this done:

- New graphics card (replace 1060 6GB in my home AMD unit with an EVGA 2070)
- Replace cooler in home AMD rig with an NZXT Kraken X62
- And replace my primary storage in my Dark Knight with a Samsung 1TB SSD

YUP, I have that exact KB, it's nice. :)

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah I really like the layout and feel of typing the keys compared to my Corsair K70. The only thing I am still getting used to the RGB software could be improved. It's not nearly as robust as the Corsair engine.

I don't use the software.

I also have a Corsair K70 for my other machine.

The keys are all dependent on what switches they use. The K70 original was Cheery MX Reds while the one you have now are Kailh Silver Speed. The equivalent would be the Cherry MX Speeds (although the Cherry have a slightly better actuation than the Kailh do, 1.2mm vs 1.3mm).

I have not used the MX Speeds but I would assume they feel similar to reds just faster. I doubt they would feel like Blues or Browns with any sort of click to them as speed typically has little to no click feeling. Reds were the fastest but since the Speeds have come out they have been dethroned. I like the reds personally.

And CUE has been out for quite a while so they have had time to really improve it. I am sure this one will improve over time as they slowly build it up.

g-unit1111

Titan

The one that I had been using was the K70 RGB Rapidfire and it is a good keyboard but the keys are a bit too close together and I think it's because of the MX Brown switches. This one uses the MX Blue and it takes a bit more getting used to but it is definitely worlds above some of the keyboards that I've been using. I think once I get it fully broken in that it will be a great keyboard.