Sims2 - direct x problems

I've read the information from Marilyn - and it said to load the direct x
controls on the Sims 2 disk - can someone explain how to do that? I'm not a
technical user, just trying to get this game working for my daughter. I've
been trying to get this game to work for a while now - I've done everything
that it says in the prior communications. Any help would be GREATLY
appreciated. Thank you.
--
phoebe r

Hi Phoebe,

What error are you encountering? Is it about your video card?
Perhaps you don't have a compatible card in your PC.

For the list of graphic cards supported by SIMS 2:
http://thesims2.ea.com/help/detail.php?help_id=21

Here's a couple of ways to identify which video card you
have installed on your computer.

1. Click Start / Run / type: dxdiag
Click the Display Tab
Look under Device for the name and manufacturer

2. Click Start / (Settings) Control Panel
Click Display
Click the Settings Tab
Click the Advanced... button
Click the Adapter Tab